• Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Temko Popov 1888

Temko Popov (1855-1931), Macedonian Publicist
    May 9, 1888 Salonika

My dear Despot,

In the introduction to this letter I will tell you in advance that I will take the trouble to write you, inasfar as it is possible, in our tongue, substituting for those words which I do not know with Bulgarian ones. What else can be done, Despot! This tongue of ours, which could have dictated to the other Slavic tongues, has remained the poorest, and, like a beggar, must stretch out its hand to the Bulgarian, or the Serbian or even the Russian tongue! I do not deny that all of the Slavic tongues are similar to each other and that it is natural that they should borrow from each other, but not to the state to which our miserable tongue has come, so that a man can not express his thoughts without using Bulgarian words, if he has lived in Bulgaria, Serbian - if in Serbia. It is true that our tongue, being most similar to Serbian, should gather from it those words which it does not have in its own dictionary, but where is our dictionary, where are our philologists, who might concern themselves with these important questions, i.e. the compilation of a grammar and other most urgently needed textbooks, at least for elementary schools? If we have no philologists, where are the Serbian ones, who might know our tongue and might write those elementary and necessary books with such impassionate scholarship as to use Serbian words as supplementary words only where they can not find Macedonian ones, and not to be led by blind patriotism and instead of writing Macedonian textbooks, writing purely Serbian ones. Don't fool yourself, Despot, the national spirit in Macedonia has attained such a state that Jesus Christ himself, if he were to descend from heaven, could not convince a Macedonian that he is a Bulgarian or a Serb, except for those Macedonians in whom Bulgarian propaganda has already taken root.

Fragment of a letter from Temko Popov to Despot Badzhovic, well-known Macedonian social worker. Published by K. Dzambazovski in "Nova Makedonija", Jan. 1-3, 1960

I know this was posted on this forum before but I think it is such a strong statement to make.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

I like it.
    It still has significance today .... but English is our biggest threat now.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
      Don't fool yourself, Despot, the national spirit in Macedonia has attained such a state that Jesus Christ himself, if he were to descend from heaven, could not convince a Macedonian that he is a Bulgarian or a Serb, except for those Macedonians in whom Bulgarian propaganda has already taken root.
      So Macedonians knew who they were back in 1888.....
      I feel like to go on a time-travel with chichko Tito to take some nice of these "newly created" Macedonians.
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Bratot
        • Sep 2008

Bump!... why not
        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
          • Apr 2014

Recently stumbled upon this letter again. Supposedly Temko was Pro-Serb but this is likely an exaggeration due to his meetings with the Serbian government.
          I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• vicsinad
            • May 2011

Well, anyone who wasn't pro-Bulgar was considered pro-Serb or Greek by the Bulgars and vice versa. Even Krste Misirkov was accused of being pro-Serb for a time. The Bulgarian propaganda machine was a monster. I'll give them that much credit.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Does anyone have a Macedonian translation of his letter to Badzhovic?
              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Started looking into Popov again and he does come off as a bit of a Serbophile. Early on he appears to utilise Serbian avenues to promote Macedonian ideas but he seems to have gradually been Serbianised himself over time and stopped working for Macedonia all together.

Despot seems even more Pro-Serb than Popov, even changed his name to make it sound more Serbian.

Comment

• Carlin
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
                  Does anyone have a Macedonian translation of his letter to Badzhovic?
                  This letter?

URL:

Писмо на Темко Попов до Деспот Баџовиќ

од Темко Попов

9 мај 1888 година, Солун.

Драги Деспоте,

Во предговороф на ова писмо ќје ти предизвестам, оти ја кје се помачам да ти пишам, колку је можно, на наше наречие замствајки оние речи, кои ја и незнам, со блгарски. Шчо да се чинит инака, Деспоте! Нашето наречие кога можело да диктира на другите славјански наречиа, останале наисиромашко и, како питач, соружит рака било на блгарското, било на српското и дури на Руското! Не отричам ја оти своите славјански наречиа, се сходни помегу си и оти природно је да се взаемеет едното от другото, а не до вакво дередже (дже - не знам како се пишит) до кое е дошло нашето кутро наречие, шчо да не можит чоек да си искажит мислите, без да употребит блгарски речи, ако тој имат живено у блгарско, српско - ако у српско. Вистина, нашево наречие, како најсходнос о српското требит од него да црпит оние речи, кои ги немат у речникот си, но каде ни је нашиот речник, каде се нашите филолози, кои да может да се завземеет со овај важен вопрос т.ј. да ни составеет граматика и други најнужни учебници, барем за основните училишча? Немајки наши филолози, каде се српските, кои да знает нашево наречие и да сочинеет овие елементарни необходни книги со такво научно безпристрастие штото тамо само да употребеет српски, вместо дополнителни, каде неможеет да најдеет Македонски речи, а и да се водеет от слеп патриотизам и, вместо да составеет македонски учебници, да сочинеет чисто српски.

Да не се лажиме, Деспоте, националниот дух у Македониа до такво дередже денеска је стигнал, штото и сам Исус Христос ако слезит от небоно неможит да го уверит Македонеца, оти је блгарин или србин, освен оние Македонци у кои веке пропагандата блгарска се имат вкоренено. За да се увериш ти во ова нешчо требит да земеш блгаризма пред очи. Блгарската пропаганда ево веке се чинеет 20 години, каде работат у Македонија, во најслепите времина, кога грцизмот - сосвем чужда нациа, беше зафатил да се фкоренвит во срцето Македонско; и Македонците кога видоа зрак от славјанизам, фрлиа се, као слепи во пазуите му, без да пулеет на разликата му. Стигаше за ними шчо се откинаа от грцизмот. Но шчо да чинат сега т.ј. после двадесет години блгарски маки, акимлаци и немилосни парични жертви?

Се чинит она, Драги ми Деспоте, шчо е природно, но за блгарите неочекувано т.ј. сега секој македонец признава, оти тој не је блгарин и гласно исповеда својата нациа, ако и да се ползувеет ушче от блгарски срества, немајки, разуме се, свои.

После, от како вигаме ние оти блгаризмот пропадат вака ужасно, можно ни је да се вервит, на некаков успех за распространенјето на друг, какоф и да је тој, славјански јазик? Ја не вервам, а таа исто не вервам и ти да вервиш. Зато ние, Драги ми Деспоте, бефме зафатиле ушче од лани и дори от олим-лани да препорачааме да се отвореет македонски училишча со ова наречие, штото колку је можно да се искоренвеет блгаризмите, кои се имеет пикнато от отворанјето на блгарските училишча во Македониа, и да се замествеет со поприродните т.ј. српските. Мене никој не може да ме разубеди оти по инакоф начин можеат да се збратимосеет овие два братски народа и јазика. Најглавната работа је Македониа да се помакедончит.

Ваш пријателј
                  Т. Попов

Народна библиотека Белград, - фонд - Јован Хаџи Васиљевиќ, П 413/III

Comment

• Apr 2014

I don't even remember which letter I was referring to but probably.

I can read some of that but his language there seems to be influenced by Serbian. Is anyone else able to translate it?
                    Last edited by Liberator of Makedonija; 07-03-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
                      I don't even remember which letter I was referring to but probably.
                      You were referring to the letter on the first post of this thread.
                      I can read some of that but his language there seems to be influenced by Serbian. Is anyone else able to translate it?
                      That's how it was originally written. If you want to translate it into literary Macedonian you could try google translate, but aside from a few words, I find the rest of the letter is easily understandable.
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        That's how it was originally written. If you want to translate it into literary Macedonian you could try google translate, but aside from a few words, I find the rest of the letter is easily understandable.
                        I am far from fluent in Macedonian which is probably why it's harder for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X