Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makedonska_Kafana
    • Aug 2010

Greece’s debt crisis, shrinking economy and surging unemployment have transformed Athens, once considered one of Europe’s safest capitals, into a city of fear.

Manolis Kandaris’ wife was in labor and he wanted to get her to a hospital, fast. So he reached for the car keys, fetched the video camera and dashed out to get his clunky Citroen running.

He never made it.

As he sprinted to the car, muggers attacked him about a block from his apartment. And when he resisted their attempts to wrench the camera from him, the 44-year-old pharmaceuticals executive was stabbed to death.

His wife found him lying in a pool of blood as she hobbled to the car with the help of her mother. She was taken to a maternity ward; he was taken to the morgue.

Long prided as one of Europe’s safest capitals, this ancient metropolis is cowering in the shadow of harrowing crimes and lawless rampages.

Within 24 hours of the Kandaris killing, a 21-year-old man from Bangladesh was stabbed to death in what police suspect was a revenge killing. The following day, mobs of ultranationalist youths bolted through the center of Athens, battering scores of illegal immigrants. Three days later, masked youths enraged by a police beating firebombed a precinct in downtown Athens, critically injuring two men and a 55-year-old female flower seller.

“It never used to be this way,” said Ioannis Makris, president of the Athens police union. “We’re seeing a lot of rage as a result of the financial crisis, a lot of desperate people resorting to fistfights, not to mention gunfire and stabbings, for trite causes.”

Amid a devastating debt crisis, shrinking economy and surging unemployment, violent crime has soared here, and security experts warn that it may get even worse as Greece sinks deeper into recession.

Armed robberies were at historic lows in the capital in 2007, but the figure had more than doubled in 2009, the onset of the financial crisis, according to police data. Thefts and break-ins jumped from 26,872 recorded cases in 2007 to 47,607 two years later; homicides likewise nearly doubled in the period.

Final statistics for 2010 are not yet available, but news reports and anecdotal evidence suggest that violent crime is gaining dangerous momentum.

“Greek society as a whole is at a breaking point,” criminologist Angelos Tsigris said. “Things are going from bad to worse, and crime, which mirrors the state of a society at a given time and moment, will naturally follow that course.”

Athens, home to nearly half the country’s population of 11 million, is reeling. Although still benefiting from European Union investment infrastructure and its Olympic glow — it hosted the 2004 Summer Games — the once-glamorous capital is fading into money-strapped dishevelment.

Rising tides of illegal immigration are adding to Athenians’ sense of malaise. A fairly homogeneous society, Greece has seen its ethnic makeup change dramatically in the last decade. Immigrants, legal and not, now account for as much as 15% of the population, and most of the new arrivals have settled in Athens.

Residents fear the disorder and lawlessness gripping the capital will hamper desperately needed recovery or, worse, incite further violence, including police brutality and vigilantism.

“I’m losing my city,” Athens Mayor Giorgos Kaminis said. “Something has to happen fast.

“It’s starting to look like Beirut in the 1970s,” he said, referring to a rash of killings in the Lebanese capital that preceded that country’s civil war.

A recent wave of public-safety budget cuts hasn’t helped.

“Only a third of the 500 motorcycles and police cars are in operation for patrols,” said Makris, the police union president. “The rest are in the pits because there’s no money to service them. From boots to bulletproof vests, police resources are ailing in Athens.”

In an effort to restore confidence, the Greek government recently announced a series of crime-busting measures, including increased street patrols. City hall officials said they had the government’s assurance that the new campaign would get top funding priority. The amount, though, remained unclear.

“It all sounds encouraging,” Tsigris said. “But at this point, it’s like putting a wet rag in the muffler of a rickety car. It’ll blow out and rupture other parts of the car in the process.”

He and other security experts have long supported a sweeping overhaul of the capital’s 17,000-member police force, nearly half of whom are assigned to clerical duties such as ferrying court documents to judges.

Frustrated residents, meanwhile, are taking things into their own hands.

At an impromptu shrine that sprang up at the site of Kandaris’ killing, emotions run high. Angry crowds have sealed off the area, shielding mounds of flowers, candles and prayer notes behind a makeshift wall of dumpsters donned with Greek flags.

“Enough!” cried Giorgos Lambrou, head of a newly formed neighborhood watch team. “We’re reclaiming our city, and this is the first patch.”

Authorities this month announced the arrest of two Afghans in the killing.

“It’s a good start. But it’ll take much more for us to let up our fight,” said construction worker Dimitris Efstathiou, taking up position at the shrine.

“I’ve been shot at twice, burgled three times and lost my job — and hope — to the crisis,” he said. “Would you let up that easy?”
    Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM.
    http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

• julie
      • May 2009

In one word. Karma.
      I abhor violence, but Greece has brought this onto themselves, riots will turn into war, and bloodshed, whilst the clergy and politicians sit pretty.
      The stupid thing is, they hold MACEDONIA at ransom with the name , copyrighting our kutlesh sonce, WTF??
      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by julie View Post
        In one word. Karma.
        I abhor violence, but Greece has brought this onto themselves, riots will turn into war, and bloodshed, whilst the clergy and politicians sit pretty.
        The stupid thing is, they hold MACEDONIA at ransom with the name , copyrighting our kutlesh sonce, WTF??
        If, one takes a much closer and longer look you'll find these criminals and extremists are direct products of the Greek Orthodox Church and exactly the same problems exist in diaspora countries .. church preaches hate, racism and theft in the name of their God(s) (see my avatar)

Ot pisano ne se bega, Gospo e golem.
        Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• julie
          • May 2009

my point exactly, the clerics and politicians brainwash the masses, pocket the funds and et voila, the citizens end up paying the price, sounds familiar.
          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by julie View Post
            my point exactly, the clerics and politicians brainwash the masses, pocket the funds and et voila, the citizens end up paying the price, sounds familiar.
            I, have never heard at the end of a Macedonian church service any priest say the words "Athenian's" or "Greeks" .. never, and the racist GOC often uses "Skopians" and I smile knowing they speak of my village.

YouTube - ‪Nevoleni (Skopia) Lerinsko Makedonia‬‏

How, do I know what is said in GOC's? Many, people tell me ..
            Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

So macedonia is like a captive if it want's eu it must change it's name.IS'nt the eu silly member states cannot possibly agree with each other.So the power of veto is stronger than the eu it's too much power given to stupid countries like greece to do what it wants.
              I reckon it should be majority rules.A majority of states can say leave macedonia as is & accept them under the constitutional name.It's very easy now the eu can keep vetoing both Macedonia & turkey.What's turkey being vetoed for i have never come accross except that greece doesn't like turkey & doesn't want turkey part of the eu.This is where a majority of states can decide & stop this stupid charade.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                So macedonia is like a captive if it want's eu it must change it's name.IS'nt the eu silly member states cannot possibly agree with each other.So the power of veto is stronger than the eu it's too much power given to stupid countries like greece to do what it wants.
                I reckon it should be majority rules.A majority of states can say leave macedonia as is & accept them under the constitutional name.It's very easy now the eu can keep vetoing both Macedonia & turkey.What's turkey being vetoed for i have never come accross except that greece doesn't like turkey & doesn't want turkey part of the eu.This is where a majority of states can decide & stop this stupid charade.
                Can, you think of ANYTHING as undemocratic as when ONE (Athens) country is able to derail an entire process and hold everyone else hostage because of ancient racism? Why, is Germany even a member .. JOKE!
                Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 06-02-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

pretty soon the germans are going to say enough is enough when the german people find out that their money has been conned & squandered by greece who never wants to pay it back,Greece cannot possibly pay the huge debt now or in the forseeable future.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

MK i'm not saying the nazis were good but at least they recognized who you are .Greece is worst than nazis the devil incarnate.In the debt fiasco they deserve everything coming to them & i hope they grovel in the streets looking for scraps of food.This is gods punishment to greece for not reconcyling with macedonia.Not admitting to attrocities & keeping with the same charade & denial.I hope god gives greece it's just desserts because it has been evil in it's intent to destroy the macedonian nation.
                    They are actually stealing another country's identity,& history.
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                      • Aug 2010

MK i'm not saying the nazis were good but at least they recognized who you are .Greece is worst than nazis the devil incarnate.In the debt fiasco they deserve everything coming to them & i hope the grovel in the streets looking for scraps of food.This is gods punishment to greece for not reconcyling with macedonia.Not admitting to attrocities & keeping with the same charade & denial.I hope god gives greece it's just desserts because it has been evil in it's intent to destroy the macedonian nation.
                      My, point is you can't use things that happened in 1913 in 2011 or nothing positive can occur ever. The, rules must be the same for everyone not a select few .. Germany, France and Athens

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

It's like other people that suffered genocides the world has forgotten & can't beleive the attrocities that occurred.The best that can occur is greece to hand back the properties & make restitution.But i doubt they will do that.
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

So has anything happened to that racist Jim Karygiannis Racist Aromanian (Vlach) Greek Canadian Liberal MP Ottawa???.He probably doesn't give a shit & as well as the liberal party what have they done have they sought an apology??
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

THis greek racist it's ok for him to do it if i did that to the greeks they would cry bloody murder.We are victims & are constantly suffering as victims by these racist people.
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                              • Aug 2010

So has anything happened to that racist Jim Karygiannis Racist Aromanian (Vlach) Greek Canadian Liberal MP Ottawa???.He probably doesn't give a shit & as well as the liberal party what have they done have they sought an apology??
                              Nothing, but we don't go away easy nor will we stop fighting racism in Canada.

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                                • Aug 2010

THis greek racist it's ok for him to do it if i did that to the greeks they would cry bloody murder.We are victims & are constantly suffering as victims by these racist people.
                                When, Jimmy started in politics he weighed 175lbs and today almost 300lbs .. eats for free thanks to the Canadian taxpayers - bishe

Comment

Working...
                                X