X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onur
    • Apr 2010

Spartan, all this information again leads us in a conclusion as this;

Literally nothing belongs solely to Greek, Turkish, Armenian, Macedonian etc. All these musics, dance styles, cuisine and culture overall created with the collaboration of every living person at Ottoman Empire. Everyone bring something on the table and result is this harmony.

IMHO, this was one of the best thing created by Ottoman Empire either willingly or spontaneously. It connected east and west not only by geography, also culturally. Maybe this cultural interaction considered as worst thing ever by some people today but i like it

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
      Literally nothing belongs solely to Greek, Turkish, Armenian, Macedonian etc. All these musics, dance styles, cuisine and culture overall created with the collaboration of every living person at Ottoman Empire. Everyone bring something on the table and result is this harmony.
      I agree with all of this.
      Would just like to add that many of these cultural elements pre-date the ottoman empire to the byzantine empire.

IMHO, this was one of the best thing created by Ottoman Empire either willingly or spontaneously.
      It was created IN the Ottoman empire, not BY the Ottoman empire.
      The roots of the Bouzouki, and all other similar instruments stretch back to antiquity in one form or another.

I was merely disagreeing with your theory that the Bouzouki was invented in Greece, as it is wrong.
      Glad you see this now, and we can agree .

It connected east and west not only by geography, also culturally. Maybe this cultural interaction considered as worst thing ever by some people today but i like it
      If we are talking about Rebetika, and other middle eastern influenced music that the Balkans listens to today, I agree.
      Although i come from a family that despises "bouzoukia, rembetika, Tsifteteli, 'Greek' cofee, komboloi (worry beads) and Narghiles..... I will admit that i have always been interested in this culture (secretly of course! )
      Last edited by Spartan; 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
        I read a book about the "Tavern life of 19th century Ottoman Empire" earlier and it was so funny to read. I remembered that i wished that i could live in those times. Women, hash, belly dancers, raki and music all day long
        Sounds like a big night out!
        I don't think "modern" Islam or "modern" Christianity would have coped very well with such places.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

^^Actually Risto, apparently these "Dekethes" (hash dens), and tavernas thrived in asia minor in the early 1900s, as they did in Greece after the exchange.

It was Mr.metaxas who outlawed these establishments and the music/culture of rembetika. It was the dictator, and not the church...... shocking, I know.

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
            Also, if I may ask.... Was Kazantzidis music loved in turkey as well?
            How big was he?
            In Greece he is regarded as the greatest singer/artist of all time.

Ofc everyone knew Stelio Kazanci in Turkey but i asked this to my grandmother b4 and she told me that "Roza Eskenazi" came to Izmir once for a concert and she said that there was 1000s of people at concert hall and some couldn't enter the hall and even broke doors to see Roza singing live... I don't know when, probably shortly after WW-2

YouTube - Horepse Mou Tsiftetelli - Roza Eskenazi

P. S : In Turkish part of the song she says;

noo i cant let you kiss me
            My dad kills me if he see us

Ohhh darling, you gonna make me die...
            Please let me kiss you only once, from shy-reddish beautiful cheek of yours

Hehhe, its so cute

Last edited by Onur; 04-25-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

My goodness, did Metaxas want all the hash for himself?
              Perhaps he replaced the dens with monuments dedicated to Zeus instead.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Spartan
                • Sep 2008

Onur

Watch a movie called "Rembeitiki Istoria", Im sure they have it in Turkish subtitles, they do in English. I think, if im not mistaken, it is based on the life of the singer in the youtube video you posted above. I enjoyed it very much.

@Risto

Dens were shut down indefinitely.
                Not even allmighty Zeus could open them!

Comment

Working...
                X