Mr Balkan theatre production 25 June and 3 July (NSW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Mr Balkan theatre production 25 June and 3 July (NSW)

The Australian Macedonian Theatre of Sydney presents its latest theatre production during Refugee Week 2010. This production will be a first undertaking by a Macedonian organization at such a national event.

Mr Balkan, a tragi-comedy traces the emotional trauma and tragedy of the Macedonian Nation. It sheds light on a little known period of Macedonian and European history where Macedonian children were removed from their native homes during the Greek Civil war and re-settled in Eastern European countries, unable to return. At its heart, this play shows how identity is both political and personal: while Mr Balkanīs separation from his homeland continues to torment him in his adult life, in seeking solace in his identity and in the memories of a stolen childhood, he has the will to go on.

Director: Stefo Nantsou

Co-Authors: Stefo Nantsou and Dushan Ristevski

Cast: Australian Macedonian Theatre of Sydney

Producers: Zoran Lozevski and Dushan Ristevski

The production is in Macedonian and English.

WHEN:

Friday June 25th at 7:30 pm: Macedonian Cultural Centre "Ilinden", 65 Railway Street Rockdale.

Saturday July 3rd at 7:30 pm: Theatre of Bankstown Town Hall (The Theatre at Bankstown Town Hall), located at the corner of Chapel and Rickard Road, Bankstown.

Tickets $15.00.

Available from: Kings Court Deli in Rockdale, Fresh Cut Deli in Mortdale, Izvor Deli in Bankstown or on the night of the performance.

Come Laugh Cry and Sing as we remember the struggles of the Macedonian Refugees-Detsa Begaltsi (Деца Бегалци)

For Further information and ticket reservations contact:

Dushan Ristevski: dushan@macedon.com or 0425 231335, Zoran Lozevski: Australia@withmacedonia.org or 0418 207725
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • iskra
    • Jun 2010

I will definitely be going to see this, thanks for posting it Risto.

Comment

• julie
      • May 2009

That would be awesome to see, if I resided there I would definitely make attempts at going.
      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

I believe the director is from Dolno Kotori .... which means he is one of God's gifts to the world.
        Risto the Great

Comment

• julie
          • May 2009

Absolutely, anyone with a blood line from dolno kotori is royalty RTG
          he may be a relative.
          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Boge
            Banned
            • Sep 2008

I saw this in Rockdale, great show. I hear it was a first for the director to work with his own Macedonian people. At the end the director said there is no Egejska and Vardarska we are all Edna Makedonia.

Unfortunately only the old generation went to see this production, no gen X or Y's.

Comment

• Boge
              Banned
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              I believe the director is from Dolno Kotori .... which means he is one of God's gifts to the world.
              There was an article in the Leader where the director and his uncle speak, apparently the play is based on a true story. The director's family mainy constitutes of "begalci". For me, begalci, is a very cruel word.

Comment

• julie
                • May 2009

Cheers for the critique Boge, sounds like it was an awesome show
                And you are correct, there is no vardar, egey, pirin, mala prespa, edna e Makedonia,

Comment

• Boge
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by julie View Post
                  Cheers for the critique Boge, sounds like it was an awesome show
                  And you are correct, there is no vardar, egey, pirin, mala prespa, edna e Makedonia,
                  I have family all over the place and the production was excellent. And I may add that the producer is a Port boy. I didn't have a chance to speak to him, but after chatting to Stefo the director I think they are planing on going to melbourne. I can try and contact Zoran the producer to find out their plans if u're interested.
                  Last edited by Boge; 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• julie
                    • May 2009

Would be awesome if they came to Adelaide to present it. Sounds like you really enjoyed the show, the producer is from my mums village

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Thanks Boge.
                      I think it would be well received in Adelaide.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Tose27
                        • Jul 2010

Detsa Bagaltsi

My partner and I attended the production of Mr Balkan here in Melbourne, and I am a generation Y person. Unfortunately not alot of younger people like myself came along. Maybe due to poor advertising too possibly? Nevertheless, i really enjoyed it and I am glad i went. Above all, it was for a great theme and cause.

But what really dissapoints me is that alot of young people are proud to call themselves Macedonians these days (particularly here in Australia), without knowing the true history and vulnerability behind their culture. And when true support needs to be shown, they are absent sadly. Maybe also due to a major lack of education.

Comment

• makedonche
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tose27 View Post
                          My partner and I attended the production of Mr Balkan here in Melbourne, and I am a generation Y person. Unfortunately not alot of younger people like myself came along. Maybe due to poor advertising too possibly? Nevertheless, i really enjoyed it and I am glad i went. Above all, it was for a great theme and cause.

But what really dissapoints me is that alot of young people are proud to call themselves Macedonians these days (particularly here in Australia), without knowing the true history and vulnerability behind their culture. And when true support needs to be shown, they are absent sadly. Maybe also due to a major lack of education.
                          Tose27
                          Firstly to the MTO! If you tell all young Macedonians to become members here at the MTO and read through all the history section, they will learn a great deal as I have done, that will fill the void in their knowledge about Macedonians and lift their self consciousness to new levels!
                          On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Tose27
                            • Jul 2010

Thank you Makedonche, the macedonians here really do need to lift their education and conciousnesses levels to new heights if we are ever going to have a chance of saving our basic human rights, especially the young ones.

I do hope that one day our people (youth like myself) will rise to the occassion and take the appropriate and civil measures to sustain our culture and history.

Comment

• makedonche
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tose27 View Post
                              Thank you Makedonche, the macedonians here really do need to lift their education and conciousnesses levels to new heights if we are ever going to have a chance of saving our basic human rights, especially the young ones.

I do hope that one day our people (youth like myself) will rise to the occassion and take the appropriate and civil measures to sustain our culture and history.
                              Tose27
                              Keep that hope alive within yourself and your generation! History and time has shown us many great changes, with many more to come - in fact change is the only real certainty there is, that and the continuation of the Macedonian Cause! There is a time and a place for all things, right now it is time for Macedoinians to bond closer together in order to achieve great things. The time for civil measures will also come, whilst we await it we can solidify our culture, history and identity, then as a unified voice we can implement changes to impose our presence as what we truly are- Macedonians - nothing less! Some of these civil measures and steps are already underway with great work being done by Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committe, I strongly urge you to investigate their work and become a member and help make a difference!
                              On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

Working...
                              X