Mr Balkan theatre production 25 June and 3 July (NSW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rogi
    • Sep 2008

Hello and welcome to the forum Tose.

Unfortunately I've been sick and couldn't make it, though I was keen to go.

Out of curiosity though, how many people were there in total, in your estimate, and roughly how many were Gen-Y Macedonians?

It is indeed tough to get the younger Macedonians to come out, though there were quite a few for the screening of 'A Name is a Name', which was a full house on both nights and was organised by the AMHRC together with Zoran from the Australian Macedonian Theatre of Sydney.

I wonder if it is "theatre" in general that seems to be losing the Gen-Y. I don't know too many Macedonians (or otherwise) of my generation interested in the theatre, which is very unfortunate in itself.

Comment

• Tose27
      • Jul 2010

I am already a proud member of the AMHRC ......And my membership is probably up for renewal............but they will always have my support.........

I just find that when i tell other Macedonians about the whole issue, and why its important to join causes like the AMHRC that they find it easier to ingore problems all together than face them, which in one way i can understand cause its very messy. But it is unfortunate, because nothing will be achieved that way sadly.

Anyhow, I am glad i have found and joined these web site.

Comment

• julie
        • May 2009

Tose27 Welcome to the MTO
        our youth are our future and its our people like yourself that will end up leading the way. As Makedonche states, with the unity we can achieve so much, individuals with commonality for the Macedonian Cause.
        Poz.
        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Tose27
          • Jul 2010

Hi Rogi.....In my opinion there seemed to be about 150-200 people at the Melbourne screening of Mr Balkan. And about a handful of Generation Y individuals (assuming they are younger ones in their 20s or 30s), including myself and my partner. And those people seemed to be there as they had tagged along with their parents for the night. It wasn't a state of the art production (and there was no expectation that it would be) but i thought it served its purpose and that was to pay tribute to the Detsa Begaltsi. It was quite touching when Stefan the director got the real life Detsa begaltsi to stand up in the crowd after the show and every applauded. Anyway, I am richer for having experienced it.

You're right at the screening of a name is a name, there seemed to be quite more people, young ones too, which was great. Maybe the 'theatre' aspect didnt appeal to most, however i dont mean to be rude, but alot of Macedonians could make great use of subjecting them selves to more of the arts and cultural events like Theatre, especially here with the opportunities in Australia. Especially if its for a Macedonian related cause, you think it would prompt people to attend. Could you imagine if there was a greek theatre play here in Australia?! It'd be packed to the rafters with all ages! (for better or worse that is...).

Anyhow, i did want to mention to Makedonche that i am a member of the AMHRC, and my membership is probably up for renewal at the moment, but they will always have my support.

Thanks for the warm welcome here.

Comment

• makedonche
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tose27 View Post
            I am already a proud member of the AMHRC ......And my membership is probably up for renewal............but they will always have my support.........

I just find that when i tell other Macedonians about the whole issue, and why its important to join causes like the AMHRC that they find it easier to ingore problems all together than face them, which in one way i can understand cause its very messy. But it is unfortunate, because nothing will be achieved that way sadly.

Anyhow, I am glad i have found and joined these web site.
            Tose27
            Outstanding! well done on your membership and support, they are a truly worthy organisation! It is easier to ignore problems than face them, the trouble is that until you face them and deal with them they don't go away! This site has provided me with most of the information and support I need when confronting problems of history or identity, one example I'll give you is some of my Greek friends claiming they are the descendants of the ancients and that we Macedonians have always been Greek - my answer to them - "Who was the first President of Greece?(most of them haven't got a clue) - answer- An Albanian", this usually shuts them up fairly quickly, but if they persist I start talking to them in Macedonian - then they don't know what to do! lol
            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

Working...
            X