• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Greek-Macedonian Dictionary promoted in Brussels

Greek-Macedonian Dictionary promoted in Brussels

Officially, the Greek Government doesn't recognize the Macedonian language nor the Macedonians living in modern day Greece. Unofficially, Athens had no issues takinig part in the sponsoring of a Macedonian - Greek dictionary.

The dictionary was published in Solun (Salonika) and presented in Brussels, in part sponsored by the Center Maurits Coppieters of the European Free Alliance. The promotion is entitled "Bridges for Dialog".

- The idea od this publication is to help people to understand each other- says Gunter D. the secretary of the CMC and director at the European Free Alliance. He himself speaks several languages and says this dictionary should have been available in Greece much earlier.

- It is almost incredible for two neighboring countries not to have dictionaries of each other's languages, says Gunter adding he finds it hard to believe that's happening in Europe.

Most Macedonians would claim there is no need for a dictionary in Greece. According to the Mak tourists at least, Greeks don't seem to have trouble understanding Macedonian.

One of the organizers of this effort is the local Macedonian party in Greece, "Rainbow" who is also a part of the European Free Alliance. According to Pavle Vaskopoulos, the dictionary is funded by the European Parliament which means indirectly was funded by Athens.

- The irony is they pretend not to recognize the language, and here they are involved in the funding of the dictionary, says Vaskopoulos.

The dictionary was presented in Brussels at a time when a formal meeting of all European heads of Government is held.

One of the speakers at the presentation of the dictionary was French politician Francois Alfonsi. The dictionary was published last year, however during its promotion in Solun, there were numerous incidents by Neo Nazi groups who stormed the meeting.

To avoid such incidents, the dictionary was promoted in Brussels.

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/18451/45/
    ouch.......thats got to hurt
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

the greeks think that they can bully peole into submission if it's held in greece.it is rather funny how greece pretends & how greece interferes all part & parcel of their nazi behaviour.
    They seem to be in denial as macedonians we have our own language so did the ancient macedonians.To say that alll the macedonians spoke greek is a lie.The greeks are desperately trying to lie that it was all greek.
    Last edited by George S.; 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Most Macedonians would claim there is no need for a dictionary in Greece. According to the Mak tourists at least, Greeks don't seem to have trouble understanding Macedonian.
      Very true. Sir George, can you explain how this can be?

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

I would hasard to guess that these could be macedonians who have been assimilated as greeks ie name change.I would doubt if greeks would learn macedonian.It's like you & i learning albanian.I reckon these "greeks" are macedonian or they have taught the local greeks their idiom perhaps?
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by George S. View Post
          I would hasard to guess that these could be macedonians who have been assimilated as greeks ie name change.I would doubt if greeks would learn macedonian.It's like you & i learning albanian.I reckon these "greeks" are macedonian or they have taught the local greeks their idiom perhaps?
          Thank you George. But i realy want an explanation from the other George "Sir George". (SirGeorge8600)

Unless you have been knighted recently, then sorry for the misunderstanding i might have caused you.
          Last edited by Bill77; 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• SirGeorge8600
            • Jun 2011

lol no I am not knighted, I just really like British history.

"Most Macedonians would claim there is no need for a dictionary in Greece. According to the Mak tourists at least, Greeks don't seem to have trouble understanding Macedonian."

I am confused my this sentiment, aren't Macedonian and Greek two different languages? I promote a dictionary, it's common practice. Any academic finds it necessary for there to be a communication and linguistic respect among the two languages and the masses of people that seek to use it (ie, students, tourists, and other things.) In fact I wish Greece would publish tourist guides and other books of it's authors in Macedonian but time will take for that.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SirGeorge8600
              I am confused my this sentiment, aren't Macedonian and Greek two different languages?
              The sentence is referring to the Greek citizens of Macedonian ethnicity who don't need a dictionary to understand the Macedonian language.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                The sentence is referring to the Greek citizens of Macedonian ethnicity who don't need a dictionary to understand the Macedonian language.
                ...sounds like el greco needs an English dictionary.

Comment

• SirGeorge8600
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  el greco
                  I wish I could paint as good as that guy...

Comment

Working...
                  X