X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nikolaj
    • Aug 2014

History books?

I am looking for some good history books related, and unrelated to Macedonia. Let it be on certain races, empires, and so on... I prefer the authors who go in-depth geographically, explain why they conclude certain things, and aren't afraid to challenge other historians perspectives; a good example would be Eugene Borza.

An example book I am thinking of buying: http://www.booktopia.com.au/cultural...html#Phrygians

If you have anything good to recommend please do. Especially if it's something you've read yourself.
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

Click on the Google Preview image above to read some pages of this book!

This provocative and often controversial volume examines concepts of ethnicity, citizenship and nationhood, to determine what constituted cultural identity in the Roman Empire. The contributors draw together the most recent research and use diverse theoretical and methodological perspectives from archaeology, classical studies and ancient history to challenge our basic assumptions of Romanization and how parts of Europe became incorporated into a Roman culture.
    Cultural Identity in the Roman Empire breaks new ground, arguing that the idea of a unified and easily defined Roman culture is over-simplistic, and offering alternative theories and models. This well-documented and timely book presents cultural identity throughout the Roman empire as a complex and diverse issue, far removed from the previous notion of a dichotomy between the Roman invaders and the Barbarian conquered.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• VMRO
      • Sep 2008

Nikolaj, I have that book in pdf format if you want it.
      Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Nikolaj
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
        Nikolaj, I have that book in pdf format if you want it.
        I would appreciate it. I want to see whether it is worth buying or not. I wouldn't read the whole thing pdf though because I get headaches quickly when I continually read off of backlit screens.

Originally posted by George S. View Post
        Click on the Google Preview image above to read some pages of this book!

This provocative and often controversial volume examines concepts of ethnicity, citizenship and nationhood, to determine what constituted cultural identity in the Roman Empire. The contributors draw together the most recent research and use diverse theoretical and methodological perspectives from archaeology, classical studies and ancient history to challenge our basic assumptions of Romanization and how parts of Europe became incorporated into a Roman culture.
        Cultural Identity in the Roman Empire breaks new ground, arguing that the idea of a unified and easily defined Roman culture is over-simplistic, and offering alternative theories and models. This well-documented and timely book presents cultural identity throughout the Roman empire as a complex and diverse issue, far removed from the previous notion of a dichotomy between the Roman invaders and the Barbarian conquered.
        George, that is the description of the book I linked as an example? Where you trying to point something out I was not seeing?
        Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-22-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• VMRO
          • Sep 2008

Check your PM.
          Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

Working...
          X