• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • julie
    • May 2009

Macedonia take on Euro T20 event

Macedonia take on Euro T20 event
    21 May 2010

Carmel's Pen-y-Gelli ground has hosted the Euro Twenty20 for two years, but authorities felt a change of scenery was needed

Macedonia is set to take a giant leap forward in its cricket development this summer as it prepares to play host to an invitational European Twenty20 tournament.

National teams from Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria and Russia as well as a Croatia A side will descend on the capital Skopje to contest the third EuroTwenty20 title from July 10-17.

Cricket was first played in Macedonia in 2007 and the enthusiasm for the sport has greatly increased with the aim of working towards ICC Affiliate Member status over the next few years.

Ray Power, chairman of the British Business Group Macedonia, who is developing cricket in the country and helping to organise the tournament, is hopeful the event will help generate further interest in the game and increase participation.

Power said: “We are really pleased to host the event and the long hot summers in Macedonia make it an ideal place for the sport; with an already very sociable population cricket fits into the culture and way of life very nicely.

“Of course, we have had a number of challenges to make this happen but with strong support locally we are confident this will be a great tournament and will create a lot of interest among the local population.

“It promises to be a great week of cricket and I am sure we will see some real talent emerge from the games.”

The tournament also represents progress for the recently-founded national associations of Serbia and Romania, who will be taking part in an international competition for the first time while Hungary and Russia will hope participation will enhance their own ongoing Affiliate Member claims.

Also competing will be a team representing the Cricket Board of Wales who will include a number of players from Carmel & District CC, where the tournament has been held for the past two years.

Hungary will be among eight countries taking part in Skopje

Timothy Abraham, who is the founder and principal organiser of the event at Carmel, revealed the decision to take the tournament to Macedonia was a natural step in the tournament’s ongoing commitment to helping cricket progress in Europe.

He said: “I believe we have helped the development of indigenous players from Europe by exposing them to authentic cricket conditions and turf pitches in the UK but of course there are other non-playing factors which can also help associations move forward.

“After two years of hosting the event in North Wales I felt the event needed to be held somewhere else to keep it fresh and interesting.

“There were a number of countries keen on hosting the event but I was lucky enough to play cricket in Skopje last year and was exceptionally impressed by the level of organisation and the enthusiasm for hosting the event, so Macedonia was a logical choice.

“Hopefully the likes of Romania, Serbia and Macedonia – who are taking their first steps in international cricket – will be able to learn a lot about the game both on and off the pitch as well as boosting the profile of the sport in their respective countries.”

There are more details about the tournament on www.eurotwenty20.eu and keep up with all of the latest information regarding the event on Twitter and Facebook
    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev
  • fyrOM
    Banned
    • Feb 2010

Good god next thing you know they’ll be eating meat pies but if they dare touch cucumber sandwidges ke se karame.hahahaha

Comment

• Stojacanec
      • Dec 2009

We need a Macedonian word for Howzaaaat !!!!

Comment

• Bratot
        • Sep 2008

Thanx Julie, nice news
        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Prolet
          • Sep 2009

Spolaj Ti Julie

But i reacon the brits will play for us, maybe we have a few Macedonians from the UK or Australia going in the bat for them. I know Rogi and SOM are good batsmen, they've offered to bat for somebody else on a few occations LOL
          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Makedonetz
            • Apr 2010

great to hear nice post Julie. This is one sport that is interesting to watch.
            Makedoncite se borat
            za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
            - Goce Delchev

Comment

• BigMak
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

POO smells like Englishmen, keep that garbage out of Macedonia, we don't need it

Comment

• Frank
                Banned
                • Mar 2010

I am not a Cricket fan but I see no prob with Macedonia gaining International exposure form this.

Just what I dont ever want to see is some imported rubbish like Austrlian Rules

Comment

• julie
                  • May 2009

Not a cricket fan either, but good for Macedonian exposure .
                  LMAO OziMak, we should have the Maso's coin a new phrase for howzat
                  "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Prolet
                    • Sep 2009

Imagine if the footy was promoted in the same way in Stari Kraj lol

We can get Julia Gillard to play full forward
                    МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Culture ends with cricket.
                      Soon everyone grows big moustaches and drinks VB. (And that is just the women)
                      What a sad day.
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                      X