X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VMRO
    • Sep 2008

Israel to expel 400 children

ISRAEL will expel 400 native-born children of non-Jewish foreign workers to help safeguard the country's Jewish identity.

Migrant advocacy groups responded angrily, arguing that the decision would punish innocent children by sending them back to impoverished nations their parents left in search of better lives in Israel.

Announcing the decision on Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the policy was also aimed at halting the flow of illegal immigrants across the southern border with Egypt.

''On the one hand, this problem is a humanitarian problem, we all feel and understand the hearts of children,'' Mr Netanyahu said. ''But on the other hand, there are Zionist considerations and ensuring the Jewish character of the state of Israel.''

Under the new rules, children born to foreign workers who entered Israel legally, and who have lived in Israel for five years or more, speak Hebrew and are enrolled in an Israeli school, will be eligible for permanent residency.

After considering the issue for more than a year, the Israeli cabinet voted 13 to 10 in favour of the decision.

Some ministers voted against the move because not enough children were being expelled. Other ministers were opposed to expelling any children.

About 400 children of foreign workers will have to leave Israel by the end of the month, while another 800 children will be eligible to stay.

''This isn't the state of the Jews that I know, that expels children,'' said Industry Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, a Labour Party member. ''This is not the right time to let people see Israel expelling 400 children.''

Rotem Ilan, chairman of Israeli Children, an advocacy group for migrant workers' families, said: ''We're talking about children here. They are the children of people who came to Israel legally to work.

''We brought these people here to plough our fields, build our houses and take care of our grandparents. And with people, come families.''

Ms Ilan argued that it was the deportation of children that threatened Israel's Jewish character.

''The obligation to act with kindness and compassion to foreigners is the most frequently repeated commandment in the Torah,'' she said.
    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

My God, I am in a time warp.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• fyrOM
      Banned
      • Feb 2010

''The obligation to act with kindness and compassion to foreigners is the most frequently repeated commandment in the Torah,'' she said.

It is the stupid redefining of words that causes problems. A kindness does not mean go to the nth degree and let someone sit in your seat.

The first mistake is countries that have laws that any child born on their land is a citizen. All these problems stem from such thinking. If children are born on your land to regardless of illegal or legal immigrants they are not citizens or permanent residents until YOU say they are then there will be no problems like this.

Comment

• fyrOM
        Banned
        • Feb 2010

Don’t get over excited about the word children. A child is an adult waiting to happen.

Its like people getting all excited about old people. A kindly grandfather looking person is just an old adult who could have done all sorts of bad things in his adult life. Just because they are old does not automatically mean nice. Just because they are children does not mean nice later.

To cut off the option of expelling later has forced a decision now.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

(Enter) Sam Vaknin........what are you waiting for Shmuel?
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

It really depends on their citizenship status and Israeli citizenship law. Being born in a country does not automatically grant them citizenship.

Australian law, for example, does not grant automatic citizenship to people born in Australia (although it used to). For a child born in Australia to gain citizenship automatically, at least one parent must be an Australian citizen. Conversely, a child born overseas of at least one Australian citizen also gains citizenship.
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

It is one thing to have laws about this, it is another thing to suggest it is to help safeguard the country's Jewish identity.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Onur
                • Apr 2010

Also the rule of Hebrew language knowledge is kinda ironic because at 1950s, probably more than half of Jewish citizens of Israel couldn't speak Hebrew at all. They could only speak Yiddish. The founders of Zionism couldn't speak Hebrew either.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  It is one thing to have laws about this, it is another thing to suggest it is to help safeguard the country's Jewish identity.
                  If we're honest, its probably one of the key reasons that any country does it. At least they're honest about it
                  If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

i thought if you are born in a another country then you get that countries status>provided it is a democratic country.Some countries don't abide by these things & can send people packing.How can 400 children undermine the jewish identity??Also isn't there human rights on children refugees in the un charter???
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Vangelovski
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                      i thought if you are born in a another country then you get that countries status>provided it is a democratic country.
                      You thought wrong.

Also isn't there human rights on children refugees in the un charter???
                      Are they refugees? Or are their parents on working visa's?

Comment

• Onur
                        • Apr 2010

i thought if you are born in a another country then you get that countries status>provided it is a democratic country.Some countries don't abide by these things & can send people packing.How can 400 children undermine the jewish identity??Also isn't there human rights on children refugees in the un charter???

Yeah, otherwise Israelis should warn foreign workers to not have sex without condoms after they get in to Israel cuz they might dump out their babies outside the country if they do. Sigh

Comment

• sf.
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                          It really depends on their citizenship status and Israeli citizenship law. Being born in a country does not automatically grant them citizenship.

Australian law, for example, does not grant automatic citizenship to people born in Australia (although it used to). For a child born in Australia to gain citizenship automatically, at least one parent must be an Australian citizen. Conversely, a child born overseas of at least one Australian citizen also gains citizenship.
                          For the sake of clarity:

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT 2007 - SECT 12
                          Citizenship by birth

(1) A person born in Australia is an Australian citizen if and only if:

(a) a parent of the person is an Australian citizen, or a permanent resident, at the time the person is born; or
                          (b) the person is ordinarily resident in Australia throughout the period of 10 years beginning on the day the person is born.

Enemy occupation

(2) However, a person is not an Australian citizen under this section if, at the time the person is born:

(a) a parent of the person is an enemy alien; and
                          (b) the place of the birth is under occupation by the enemy;

unless, at that time, the other parent of the person:

(c) is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident; and
                          (d) is not an enemy alien.

Source: Australian Citizenship Act 2007 - Section 12
                          Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Comment

Working...
                          X