X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VMRO
    • Sep 2008

Darebin candidate's Facebook comments deemed 'homophobic'

Ananija Ananievski's Facebook campaigning for election to Darebin Council has been labelled homophobic.

A CAZALY Ward independent council candidate has used Darebin Council’s Facebook site to make comments branded homophobic.

In Macedonian, Ananija Ananievski said if he won the election he would rid the community of "crap" such as homosexuality parades, according to the translation into English.

He also wrote that he was not afraid of gays and that every normal person should know that normal, healthy marriage was between a male and a woman.

When a fellow poster asked whether he would dare make such homophobic comments in English, Mr Ananievski responded saying Macedonian language was the official language of Darebin.

Thornbury resident Liz Landray, a representative from a council advisory committee, Sex, Sexuality and Gender Diversity, established earlier this year to advise on ways to combat sexually based discrimination, called on Darebin to better monitor its Facebook site.

She said it should have been taken down during the pre-election caretaker period.

"It’s disappointing to see Facebook was available to be used in a very homophobic way," Ms Landray said.

"It’s disturbing the platform was used for excluding and pointing the finger at different parts of the community."

Mr Ananievski, a 21-year-old university student, denied his comments were homophobic.

"I’ve got friends who are members of LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender and intersex)," Mr Ananievski said.

"I’ve sat on the same table with them.

"I’m not scared of gays."

Mr Ananievski said he was opposed to same-sex marriage because it went against his Christian values.

Darebin Council removed the post yesterday.

Acting chief executive Daniel Freer said the matter had been referred ``to the appropriate authorities''.

``To ensure a fair and unbiased election, electoral content is not permitted on council's Facebook or Twitter pages during the caretaker period,'' Mr Freer said.
    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.
  • United MKD
    • Jul 2011

Seems pretty dumb...right before his election.

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
      Seems pretty dumb...right before his election.
      Seems pretty honest.....rare thing.
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

very odd indeed that he is knocking a particular vote the gay vote.This is a council election but why differentiate between sexes at council level.So what's happeninghere is he has bought it out in the open hey i'm a christian i don't like gays.I thought an election at a higher level of govt giving gays more rights is the thing but not at council level.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by George S. View Post
          very odd indeed that he is knocking a particular vote the gay vote.This is a council election but why differentiate between sexes at council level.So what's happeninghere is he has bought it out in the open hey i'm a christian i don't like gays.I thought an election at a higher level of govt giving gays more rights is the thing but not at council level.
          I agree. Brining up issue of gay marriage right before an election was a mistake. Either way, if elected at a council level he will have little to no influence on the current national debate.

Why he considers Macedonian as the official language of Darebin, I don't know. That too seems like a rather controversial statement to make prior to an election.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

em forgive me for asking but would you know how many macedonians reside in that area.?
            Yes his remark that in that area only macedonian is spoken is a bit racist.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by George S. View Post
              em forgive me for asking but would you know how many macedonians reside in that area.?
              Yes his remark that in that area only macedonian is spoken is a bit racist.
              George, based on data from the 2011 census (Macedonian speakers), I'd estimate around 5k+.

Preston, Reservoir and Bundoora all have a strong Macedonian presence.

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                • Aug 2010

If, I'm not mistaken this guy was a special guest speaker at the UMD Conference in Toronto?
                http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Makedonska_Kafana View Post
                  If, I'm not mistaken this guy was a special guest speaker at the UMD Conference in Toronto?
                  ...Bingo

Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of the names 'ananija' (anan), can anyone tell me more about the origins of this name?

If those allegations regarding the fb remarks are true, the guy is a total fuckin' knob.
                  Last edited by Phoenix; 10-26-2012, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• VMRO
                    • Sep 2008

Reading the biography of Ananija, he comes across as a smart guy.
                    I guess everyone has a weakness and his was homosexuals.

Couldn't help himself.
                    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                      • Jan 2010

Lol, he was copping it bad yesterday on facebook...all the comments are deleted now.

Comment

• United MKD
                        • Jul 2011

He's only 21 I don't know why he is trying to get in politics at that age. His immaturity has shown by ignorant comments especially saying 'Macedonian is the official language of Darebin', if I heard some Italian or Greek say that I'd call him a tosser. His homophobic comments will haunt him when he gets older if he is serious about going in politics.

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                          Lol, he was copping it bad yesterday on facebook...all the comments are deleted now.
                          Not a smart way to start a career in politics.
                          I reckon he was pushing shit uphill looking like a poindexter, without the foot in the mouth moments.

Comment

Working...
                          X