X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

new pope elected

cardinals pick pope francis,the first south american .What do people think of him???

Bergoglio reportedly received the second-most votes after Joseph Ratzinger in the 2005 papal election. Despite being Argentina's top church official, Bergoglio never lived in the ornate church mansion in Buenos Aires, preferring a simple bed in a downtown room heated by a small stove. For years, he took public transportation around the city and cooked his own meals.

Pope Francis I appears on the central balcony of St. Peter's Basilica on March 13 in Vatican City, Vatican. Argentinian Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected as the 266th Pontiff, the first ever from the Americas. Peter Macdiarmid, Getty Images
    The new pope had a lung removed due to infection when he was a teenager.

The 115 voting cardinals who chose him took five ballots over two days to reach their decision. That came after a week of intense meetings and on the heels of the surprising resignation of Pope Benedict XVI last month, the first pope to step down in some 600 years.

As news spread of the pope's election, huge crowds rushed toward the square. The streets surrounding the square suddenly resembled the running of the bulls in Pamplona, with all but the old and babies breaking into a trot.

Bergoglio became pope the moment he accepted the election results and selected the name he will use as pope. He was then led to the Room of Tears where he was fitted with the appropriate vestments and given time to pray privately about the awesome responsibility.

Then he returned to the Sistine Chapel where the other 114 cardinals each individually pledged their allegiance to him. After that, the cardinal deacon steped out onto the balcony first to announce "Habemus Papam!" -- We have a pope!

"Our Muslim brothers go to Mecca, well if you're Catholic this is Mecca, it's almost too much to comprehend," said Mike McCormac of Bismarck, N.D., standing in St. Peter's Square. "We were told by a friend to come tonight. We are so glad we did."

Argentina's Jorge Bergoglio, elected Pope Francis appears at the window of St Peter's Basilica balcony after being elected the 266th pope of the Roman Catholic Church on March 13, 2013.(Photo: Andreas Solaro, AFP/Getty Images)

David Lewellyn nodded excitedly as the rain hammered his umbrella. "The pope is a world leader, which makes this event of major significance. It's incredible."

McCormac smiled. "I'll give you another word. It's uplifting."

One man waved a Swiss flag overhead as the bells of Rome tolled and the crowds cheered. "I came just to see this moment," said Michael Flueckiger of Bern. "It's just incredible."

“It's uplifting”
    — Mike McCormack of Bismark, N.D., in St. Peter's Square
    American Catholics back home were just as excited. Millie Teda, 75, had stopped in at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York after visiting a sick friend. She said she'd been praying that an announcement about a pope would come while she was there.

"Oh my goodness - Oh thank you, thank you, thank you," Teda said upon hearing the news. "You know, we need some change," Teda said. Catholics need someone who will "go more to the poor people, to the young people because we are losing young people."

Francis will have a full plate. Benedict, who did not participate in the election, cited health reasons in becoming the first pope to step down in some 600 years. In his eight years the church solidified its message on core Catholic values such as opposition to abortion and gay marriage, and saw gains in membership in Africa, Latin America and Asia.

But his departure comes at a time when the church has lost membership in Europe and the United States, is dealing with financial mismanagement of church assets and still trying to overcome the "scourge" as Benedict described the past cases of priests who molested children.

Still, the mood of the faithful in front of St. Peter's Basilica was celebratory following the news. The first vote took place late Tuesday. Two morning votes Wednesday brought similar results -- black smoke from the Sistine Chapel's chimney that meant no decision on a new pope had been reached.

Some 6,000 journalists from around the world were here for the announcement, from bloggers in Mexico to U.S. network anchors. It did not compare to the last conclave in 2005, which was preceded by a funeral attended by hundreds of thousands of people for the much beloved John Paul II, who had sat on the throne of St. Peter since 1976.

Contributing: Cathy Lynn Grossman; Katharine Lackey; Melanie Eversley; Lisa
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Everything points to a much holier man running that church. I think it is an excellent choice and the South Americans are being well rewarded for their faith. Nice to have a non European there.

I heard him speak Italian this morning, his accent sounded excellent. He will have no problem winning over Europe and will have every south American by the soul! Good choice indeed.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      Everything points to a much holier man running that church. I think it is an excellent choice and the South Americans are being well rewarded for their faith. Nice to have a non European there.

I heard him speak Italian this morning, his accent sounded excellent. He will have no problem winning over Europe and will have every south American by the soul! Good choice indeed.
      Is he really that "non European"...remember this is a faith that is as progressive as a glacier moving up a steep incline...expect more of the same...if it took 1200 years to pick a "non European" I'd imagine it will take another millennium or two for real progress to show its face.

Comment

• Bill77
        • Oct 2009

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Vangelovski
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          Is he really that "non European"...remember this is a faith that is as progressive as a glacier moving up a steep incline...expect more of the same...if it took 1200 years to pick a "non European" I'd imagine it will take another millennium or two for real progress to show its face.
          Not that I'm going to defend Catholicism, what kind of progress are you talking about?
          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
            I thought he looked familiar
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
              Not that I'm going to defend Catholicism, what kind of progress are you talking about?
              Firstly I couldn't give a rats arse about them either but it shits me reading bullshit about the first "non European" (in 1200 years) as if this is 'progressive' and the Catholic Church is going to undergo much change from this appointment.
              If you're going to project the image of 'change' put in a black fella or an Asian, after all those regions have provided happy recruitment drives for Catholic "membership" over the centuries...

Then I'd like to see how many of the faithful at St Peter's Basilica will feel "uplifted".

That my friend would be a reasonable measure of "progress"

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                Bill.
                Priceless.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Well, he isn't from Europe.
                  I know what you mean, but it will suggest change. Which is what many want to see. When I saw his name on the newsflashes I thought "oh no, not an Italian!". In which case, they should have just put Berlusconi there lol. But I still think this will be well received by the many millions.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

I am scratching my head as to why they would again, elect someone at such a late age as the Pope.

If i was a conspiracy theorist
                    i would think the vision of Saint Malachi (112th pope being black = evil....and bringing destruction to Rome etc) would have played in their minds. By having someone with one foot already in the grave, it's hope this 112th thing ends ASAP and move on to 113 and breath easier.

Also, Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was a Jesuit. Apparently they are followers not leaders. The vatican spokesman was also baffled at the descision. What the hell is going on.
                    Last edited by Bill77; 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                      • Sep 2008

Firstly I couldn't give a rats arse about them either but it shits me reading bullshit about the first "non European" (in 1200 years) as if this is 'progressive' and the Catholic Church is going to undergo much change from this appointment.
                      If you're going to project the image of 'change' put in a black fella or an Asian, after all those regions have provided happy recruitment drives for Catholic "membership" over the centuries...

Then I'd like to see how many of the faithful at St Peter's Basilica will feel "uplifted".

That my friend would be a reasonable measure of "progress"
                      You mean progress in terms of the Catholic Church not being racist?

Comment

• Phoenix
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                        You mean progress in terms of the Catholic Church not being racist?
                        I don't think "racist" is the correct term...clearly they'll recruit "members" from across the globe, it's more an issue about "leadership" and "perception".

Comment

• Vangelovski
                          • Sep 2008

I don't think "racist" is the correct term...clearly they'll recruit "members" from across the globe, it's more an issue about "leadership" and "perception".
                          Don't they have Cardinals from all over the world, including Africa and Asia? Or is it disproportionate to 'membership'?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Probably a small stretch calling him a non-European. I just read he is the son of Italian immigrants.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Bill77
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                              When I saw his name on the newsflashes I thought "oh no, not an Italian!". In which case, they should have just put Berlusconi there lol.
                              And cue

Sory I am in a silly mood this morning

Comment

Working...
                              X