Macedonian Truth Forum

Macedonian Truth Forum (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/index.php)
-   Macedonian History (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ancient Balkan Languages - Proto Slavic Words (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=703)

El Bre 02-18-2009 06:59 PM

My Dad, who is also from the Lerin area, uses jabolko (actually jaboko) and kukja, where as my Mom, who is from northern Kostur uses lapka and kushtcha.

Pelister 02-19-2009 12:24 AM

El bre, are you a statichanec?

My family from that village use the words jaboko, and kukja too, but the word for fork is shtipka I think.

Soldier of Macedon 02-19-2009 04:54 AM

Shtipka is a peg in my dialect, like when you hang your clothes up.

Aren and Arno are used extensively by all people from Bitola, and I am sure among most other Macedonians. Jabolko or Jaboko (depending on the context and laziness, lol), Sega or Sea (depending on the context), Kukja only in my neck of the woods.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the Kostur dialect is one of the most interesting and archaic-sounding of all Macedonian dialects.

El Bre 02-19-2009 05:50 PM

Shtipki seems to be used for anything that makes a pinching action, from clothespegs as SoM mentioned to tongs.

Yes Pelister, half of my family is from Statitsa. The word for fork is vilitchka.

Soldier of Macedon 02-19-2009 08:20 PM

I say Vilushka for fork.

Pelister 02-19-2009 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=Risto the Great;12100]While we are at it (and since I claim Macedonian superiority being from Dolno Kotori :D ) ... how about "arno" or "aren". Who else uses it?[/QUOTE]

My grandmother uses, [I]Arno[/I] and [I]Aren[/I].

Hey RTG, I remember you once saying you had a connection to Kotori. There is an old community of Macedonians in Western Sydney, from Kotori. They have a community centre there, I've been there a few times as I have relations in that part of the world.

El Bre 02-19-2009 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=Soldier of Macedon;12204]I say Vilushka for fork.[/QUOTE]

This thread has taken an interesting turn, the subtle and not so subtle variances in speach is something always intrigued me. In some places you could climb over a hill and find a whole new patois.

Risto the Great 02-19-2009 11:56 PM

[QUOTE=Pelister;12214]My grandmother uses, [I]Arno[/I] and [I]Aren[/I].

Hey RTG, I remember you once saying you had a connection to Kotori. There is an old community of Macedonians in Western Sydney, from Kotori. They have a community centre there, I've been there a few times as I have relations in that part of the world.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have some relatives there I believe.
I know one Alex from there who is a distant cousin. I never got to go there when the Kotortsi had their village dances.

Soldier of Macedon 02-20-2009 11:08 AM

Here are some cutlery and kitchen items in my dialect:

Nozh (or Nozhitsi for scissors)
Vilushka (or Vilufche for a smaller one)
Laitsa (or laiche for a smaller one)
Paintsa (or Painche for a smaller one)
Tava (or Tavche for a smaller one)
Sukalo
Chasha

Soldier of Macedon 02-23-2009 05:25 AM

"[B]Chi si ti[/B]" - Who else uses this?