View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #172
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelister View Post
I think I found an origin for the word "Shiptar".

I read that in the near Eastern languages of the ancient world the term "Sippar" meant 'bird'.

The term and its meaning has Eastern origins. I don't believe its a balkan word so its a bit off the topic.
A little .....but indirectly related nevetheless, as it retorts against an (more than likely) inaccurate assumption about many of the words in the modern Albanian language. So let's discuss...

Interesting post Pelister, after reading it, I did a little search. Check the below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sippar
Quote:
Sippar (Sumerian Zimbir "bird city", modern Tell Abu Habbah, Iraq), was an ancient Sumerian and later Babylonian city on the east bank of the Euphrates, some 60 km north of Babylon.
Shqipe (Eagle - in Albanian)
Shqiptar (People of the Eagle - in Albanian)
Sippar (Bird City - in Sumerian/Modern Iraq Location)

Needless to say, an eagle is a type of bird, hence there are some immediate links that can be established. I have often highlighted the similarity between some important Albanian words and how they correspond with Iranian words, the Sumerian language was arguably an Indo-European tongue and its closest relative is more than likely Iranian.