X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Po-drum
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    In Macedonian the word for lake is 'Ezero', obviously still close to the Slavonic and Illyrian variants. In Greek the word for lake is Limni (λίμνη), likely to be unrelated to the following set of words.

Acheron

A Centem -> Satem example? Slovak (and others), give us your thoughts.
    This Acheron just too much reminds me and obviously is connected with Ohrid....
    Maybe finnaly this is the right explanation of etimology for the name of this macedonian city..
    Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

Here is something very relevent to this topic. (I posted this point on another forum).

Here is what Victor Friedman had to say about Greek censorship of archeological finds of ancient Thracian origin, which are sitting in the archives of Greece under lock and guard.

They did. The inscriptions are in Greek script, but the words are Thracian. And the inscriptions are sitting in Greece, gathering dust. They know they’re there, but no one’s going to work on them because the language is not Greek. So they’re not going to let anyone see them. I have this from a colleague of mine who is a classicist and interested in the
      subject.

Source: http://www.maknews.com/html/articles/st ... st_42.html

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Thanks for that Pelister, it would be great if those thieving bastards reveal what has been found in the modern Greek state. What are they hiding? Why are they hiding it? Macedonia DOES NOT hide their archaeological finds, regardless of what language the inscription is in, but these measly monkeys in the Greek state who proclaim to be scholars, desperately cling to their lock and key, idiots. May some decent Greek finally come to the forefront and expose the colour of Greek history.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

Thanks for that Pelister, it would be great if those thieving bastards reveal what has been found in the modern Greek state. What are they hiding? Why are they hiding it? Macedonia DOES NOT hide their archaeological finds, regardless of what language the inscription is in, but these measly monkeys in the Greek state who proclaim to be scholars, desperately cling to their lock and key, idiots. May some decent Greek finally come to the forefront and expose the colour of Greek history.
          I am getting it from a number of sources now that the Greeks are hiding what they have or that Western historians are not allowed access to them.

If it was just one person saying it, it probably wouldn't be believed but this is just another person giving evidence that the Greeks are hiding something.

Honestly SoM, if I had the money I would pay a Greek historian to research them, or at least persuade him to try, or perhaps a Western historian to try again.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Here is a part of the following Indopedia (similar to Wiki) article concerning the Balkan Linguistic Union.

Welcome to Indopedia, your top source for high-quality, U.S.-bred cannabis seeds. We cater to all—from growers to researchers—with our vast seed collection

Latin "mesa" → Romanian: "masă" → Bulgarian/Macedonian: "маса" ("masa") meaning table
            Thracian or Illyrian → Albanian: "magar" ↔ Romanian "măgar" ↔ Bulgarian "магаре" ("magare") meaning donkey
            Slavic → Bulgarian: ливада ("livada") → Albanian: "livadhe" ↔ Romanian "livadă" ↔ Greek: "λιβάδι" meaning meadow
            Livada is a Macedonian word which the Bulgars adopted some time during or after their abandonment of Turkic and adoption of Slavonic as the official language of their people. Another word that is shared by Macedonians and Bulgars is Sugare (сугаре), which is supposed to mean the youngest of a sheep flock, and hence also used as a nickname for the youngest member of a family (at least in Macedonian). As a word in reference to a farm animal, it is likely to be related to the word for donkey, Magare (магаре), a Thraco-Illyrian word. I can't find anything on google that shows Albanians and Romanians using Sugare (сугаре), so how could Magare (магаре) be their word? Hard to believe, unless of course it can be demonstrated that they do use the word.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
              • Sep 2008

I think I found an origin for the word "Shiptar".

I read that in the near Eastern languages of the ancient world the term "Sippar" meant 'bird'.

The term and its meaning has Eastern origins. I don't believe its a balkan word so its a bit off the topic.
              Last edited by Pelister; 06-19-2009, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                I think I found an origin for the word "Shiptar".

I read that in the near Eastern languages of the ancient world the term "Sippar" meant 'bird'.

The term and its meaning has Eastern origins. I don't believe its a balkan word so its a bit off the topic.
                A little .....but indirectly related nevetheless, as it retorts against an (more than likely) inaccurate assumption about many of the words in the modern Albanian language. So let's discuss...

Interesting post Pelister, after reading it, I did a little search. Check the below:

Sippar (Sumerian Zimbir "bird city", modern Tell Abu Habbah, Iraq), was an ancient Sumerian and later Babylonian city on the east bank of the Euphrates, some 60 km north of Babylon.
                Shqipe (Eagle - in Albanian)
                Shqiptar (People of the Eagle - in Albanian)
                Sippar (Bird City - in Sumerian/Modern Iraq Location)

Needless to say, an eagle is a type of bird, hence there are some immediate links that can be established. I have often highlighted the similarity between some important Albanian words and how they correspond with Iranian words, the Sumerian language was arguably an Indo-European tongue and its closest relative is more than likely Iranian.

Comment

• Pelister
                  • Sep 2008

A little .....but indirectly related nevetheless, as it retorts against an (more than likely) inaccurate assumption about many of the words in the modern Albanian language. So let's discuss...

Interesting post Pelister, after reading it, I did a little search. Check the below:

Shqipe (Eagle - in Albanian)
                  Shqiptar (People of the Eagle - in Albanian)
                  Sippar (Bird City - in Sumerian/Modern Iraq Location)

Needless to say, an eagle is a type of bird, hence there are some immediate links that can be established. I have often highlighted the similarity between some important Albanian words and how they correspond with Iranian words, the Sumerian language was arguably an Indo-European tongue and its closest relative is more than likely Iranian.
                  Thanks SoM. I was thinking along the same lines too. I think its a pretty close connection. I suppose now we can get back to the thread.

This smilie of Osama rocks.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                    Thanks SoM. I was thinking along the same lines too. I think its a pretty close connection. I suppose now we can get back to the thread.

This smilie of Osama rocks.
                    No problem, I have quite a bit of information on the modern Albanians and their origins, a new thread is calling

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

The word Karpa (meaning rock in Macedonian) is interesting. The Albanians are the only others that apparently use the word, although it doesn't appear on googletranslate at all, instead there is 'Gur' (meaning stone in Albanian). I will have to check the dictionaries and see if it is present.

The name of the Macedonian fighter from the 17th century, Karposh, comes from this word. Interesting to note also is the name of the Carpathian mountains, which apparently means the same thing. See:

The name 'Karpetes' may ultimately be from the Proto Indo-European root *sker-/*ker-, from which comes the Albanian word karpë (rock), and Czech word skála (rock, cliff). perhaps by Dacian cognate which meant 'mountain,' rock, or rugged (cf. Old Norse harfr "harrow", Middle Low German shcarf "potsherd", Lithuanian kar~pas "cut, hack, notch", Latvian cìrpt "to shear, clip"). Archaic Polish word karpa meant "rugged irregularities, underwater obstacles/rocks, rugged roots or trunks". The more common word skarpa is sharp cliff or other vertical terrain. Otherwise, the name may instead come from IE *kwerp "to turn", akin to Old English hweorfan "to turn, change" and Greek karpós "wrist", perhaps referring to the way the mountain range bends or veers in an L-shape.
                      Any thoughts?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

I have no idea, but I think I know where my Scarpa hiking boots come from now though.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Are you aware of the word?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Sorry mate ... just "kamen" for me ... but I am peasant stock.
                            Risto the Great
                            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

'Kamen' is definetly more common, I think the northern and north-east dialects use 'Karpa' more often.

Comment

• Pelister
                                • Sep 2008

I am aware of it. According to Stoyan Privichevich, the word derives from Greek - meaning 'strong' or something like that. I don't have the reference with me right now.

It seems that it is used in other Slavic languages.

Look at these possible cognates

Skala (ladder, steep cliff, climb)
                                Korab (bare rocky mountain)

Comment

Working...
                                X