View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
vicsinad

vicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud of

I don't want to imply, however, that Tatarchev didn't see Macedonians as different than Bulgarians. The term ethnicity really wasn't used much during his time and the idea of nations in Macedonia was molded by Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia into a meaning political allegiances. In the 1900s, Tatarchev was leaning toward the pro-Bulgarians; then Tatarchev by 1920 had become opposed to Todor Alexandrov and, you could say, he had swung to the left on the Macedonian issue (he was aligned with Todor Panica and the left-wing MFO at the time). Then, somehow, during Bulgaria's occupation of most of Macedonia in World War 2, he was supposedly asked by Ivan Mihailov to be the leader of a proposed Macedonian state but he declined the offer.

Tatarchev either wanted an independent Macedonian state or Macedonia to be an equal member in a Balkan Federation. It's just that the politics of the day and the desperation of many Macedonians to achieve liberation led them down many different paths with regards to how to secure that liberation. Misirkov was alluding to a specific period where Tatarchev sided with the views influenced by the external committee. It's interesting to note that Misirkov even says that Tatarchev was a great patriot but that he had "no regard for the political situation." While the IMRO "left-wing" was aware of the dangerous game Bulgaria was playing with both committees, Tatarchev was either ignorant of it or had been led astray.

I don't think Misirkov's characterization was wrong; I do think that it was incomplete, though, because it just captures Tatarchev in a snapshot in time about a specific issue (the staging of the uprising).
vicsinad is offline   Reply With Quote