Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Volk
    • Sep 2008

What I'm advocating is that Macedonia withdraw from negotiations and excercise its national sovereignty and the human rights of the Macedonian people rather than undermine them. That is the reason the Macedonian people established an independent state.
    Good then we are advocating the same thing. The only difference is that I am advocating Macedonia withdraw from them once it has counter measures to ensure greece cannot put us on our knees. This includes alternate trade routes other than Solun.

This shift has already started; move to Crna Gora as main port, establishment of cargo airport in Stip and completion of corridor 8.

By YOUR logic, Macedonia should be able to switch to its constitutional name within these organisations that you mention because its already a member - that is exactly what YOU are suggesting that Macedonia do with NATO
    Correct... You have still not adressed my argument in regards why it is ok for Macedonia to join these organisations under fyrom and not NATO.
    If it is not okay, should Macedonia withdraw from them?

In one sentence you say we will be isolated if we do not capitulate
    How is joining NATO under fyrom a capitulation? (the whole debate is useless because we where blocked) We are not changing our name.

As for the UMD related material, I'll collate and post tonight
    Please, I'll be very surprised to actually see anything of substance.
    Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Volk
      • Sep 2008

Volk, you clearly have stated that you are comfortable with Fyrom as a temporary name for Macedonia to gain NATO entry
      I am not comfortable with it at all, I cannot be comfortable with anything else than Macedonia, hence my mindset moving between the two sides.

I would imagine you are actually happy with the above quotes. Many do not agree to this temporary solution and you appear to feel that trying clarify the position of the UMD in relation to this matter is a "no-go area". Is it really that bad to ask the question?
      Rather than constructively participating in these negotiations, Athens merely waits for proposals from Ambassador Nimetz, rejects them out of hand
      Risto,
      Maybe it is in the eyes of the reader, this is how I understand it;
      Macedonia should be seen as constructive and participating in the talks, the aim of the negotiations for the Macedonian side is Macedonia for the IC, dual name for greece. (this is the only thing I can accept as a compromise and which the government has also indicated)
      Now saying greece does not participate means that they do not want to solve the problem, hence rendering the talks pointless and useless. Its an attempt to discredit the talks and their legitimacy.

Moreover, given Athens’ conduct to date, it is reasonable to conclude that the Hellenic Republic will continue to impede Macedonia’s Euro-Atlantic integration, regardless of progress in the negotiations
      This simply states that greece is blocking us regardless of our name, that it is just a excuse for them. I dont see anything wrong with these statments.
      Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
        Tom, this message is mostly for you, because you know most of us on the board and both you and I remember those arguments that took place right before you left UMD.

Nobody on the UMD board supports a name-change.

For those that may have agreed to a 'political' or 'geographic' identifier in the past, they no longer support that position now.

I wish more people with the right ideas would get involved and help steer the ship in the right direction.

As UMD gets bigger and bigger, influence comes from many different angles and it's hard (and gets harder) to keep this ship going in the right direction and others who steer it from accepting wrong guidance or being subtly influenced into the wrong direction.

So rather than letting the wrong people get involved who have ulterior motives, as we've seen happen with organisations such as MPO, etc... I really wish the people who understand the fundamental principles of Human Rights and Macedonian sovereignty and the Macedonian cause would get in involved and keep it clean.

Do you remember our private discussions about why you shouldn't have left UMD?

Pelister, "nationalism" is not a dirty word for UMD. It is a word some people in UMD consider a dirty word. I am not one of them and that word and its meaning is something that I have had debates over with certain colleagues of mine from UMD. You might have come a cross certain public glimpses of that debate in a thread or two over at maknews... but I agree that some in UMD think that being 'moderate' is opposite to being 'nationalist', but by very definition a 'nationalist' is someone who supports the Independence and Sovereignty of his/her nation.
        Rogi,

You know I don't consider you to be part of the circle within UMD whose motives and ideology I question. Of everyone there I think our views were the closest in relation to most issues.

I am still interested in knowing if UMD has a stand on the Interim Accord and the Framework Agreement, and if so, what is it?
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
          • Sep 2008

Volk, when you have something sensible to contribute, I'll reply, otherwise I have better things to do with my time.
          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

If I may propose a hypothetical scenario for just a moment, I would like to know what are the immediate and long-term implications if the Macedonian state were to pull out of this illegal negotiation for our name?

What is the worst that could possibly happen?

What do we stand to gain?

I see two camps here, one calling for the immediate withdrawal of these negotiation and let the chips fall where they may, and the other calling for more time to better prepare for the exit, I think there are pros and cons in both arguments that can be explored, which is why this particular topic has evolved the way it has, what I am sure of is that everybody taking part in this discussion loves Macedonia and wants what is best, only the differing methods hold back any sort of unison.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

Here are SOME of the highly questionable public statements that have been made by UMD and/or UMD Board Members. Comments I have made are in italics.

ONE
              Meto Koloski on Macedonian Media Monitor
              Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

13 March 2008

Who are you calling naive activists? Who is trying to change our name?

We have to be realistic, Macedonia if it wants to join NATO and EU it
              has to join under a modified name
              for those organizations ONLY.

How happy are you that we are called "The former Yugoslav Republic of
              Macedonia" in NATO, UN, and EU? I'm not....wouldn't you prefer us to
              be called something like Democratic Republic of Macedonia instead
              , IF ALL ELSE FAILS, of course? I sure would. However, until all else
              fails, our position is double formula.

Meto

TWO
              On Meto Koloski on ZMR
              (at 1:38 minutes - YouTube - ZMR United Macedonian Diaspora - Macedonia Name)

..."we feel that perhaps a political modifier such as Democratic might be more acceptable only for international use to get rid of this erroneous name the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia"...

THREE
              Meto Koloski's Opinion Piece in the Washington Times
              The recent Greek veto of the Republic of Macedonia’s NATO membership during the NATO Bucharest Summit earlier this month was unfounded and contrary to the principles of NATO and its member states.

A name to reckon with
              Sunday, May 4, 2008

...It was Greece, not Macedonia, that rejected the most recent proposal to resolve the "name dispute." Moreover, Greece's veto violated the 1995 Interim Accord that it signed with Macedonia, which binds Greece's right to veto Macedonia's NATO bid or any other international organization that Macedonia would like to join as long as it joins under the U.N. provisional reference term used to identify Macedonia...

This is not only legitimising the Interim Accord, but is implying that Republic of Macedonia (Skopje) was a good proposal and condemning Greece for rejecting the proposal.

FOUR
              UMD Sends Letter to U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Regarding Greece
              Thursday, 14 February 2008

...American policy on Macedonia’s NATO admission is in alignment with Article 11 of the Interim Accord, which bars Greece from impeding Macedonia’s accession to international bodies, including NATO, as long as Macedonia accedes under the Provisional Reference. A veto of Macedonia’s NATO admission based on Greece’s objection to Macedonia’s name would nullify the Interim Accord...

...The 1995 Interim Accord between Macedonia and Greece normalized relations, ended an illegal Greek trade embargo, and allowed Macedonia’s admission to the United Nations under the provisional reference term, “The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia” (the “Provisional Reference”)...

FIVE
              UMD Condemns Greek Threat to Veto Macedonia’s NATO Membership
              Sunday, 24 February 2008

…The Prime Minister’s threat shows that Macedonia, or any other nation, cannot rely on the Hellenic Republic to honor its treaty obligations as this threat violates the 1995 Interim Agreement between the two nations. Under Article 11 of the Interim Agreement, the Hellenic Republic must allow Macedonia’s entry into any international organization provided that Macedonia enters under a certain provisional reference term used at the UN to refer to it. The Interim Agreement is in full force and Macedonia is willing to accede to NATO under the provisional reference.

Recent events reveal that the “intransigent” party to the “dispute” is not Macedonia, but the Hellenic Republic. Macedonia changed its flag, amended its constitution, and accepted the use of the provisional reference all pursuant to the Interim Agreement and has fully abided by such agreement. Despite Macedonia’s unprecedented concessions and its adherence to the Interim Agreement, the Hellenic Republic continues its quixotic campaign against Macedonia and the Macedonian people.

Prime Minister Karamanlis’ government has also proven to be an untrustworthy party to the UN mediated talks to resolve the “dispute.” Just last week the Hellenic Republic again leaked sensitive proposals presented to both nations to resolve the “dispute” to the Greek media despite its promise to keep such proposals confidential. This was not the first time that the Hellenic Republic has disrupted the UN mediated talks in such a manner…

The United Macedonian Diaspora urges Greece to end its diplomatic blackmail and abide by the rules to which it agreed to in the Interim Agreement.

SIX
              UMD Dismayed By Greece's Veto of Macedonia
              Thursday, 03 April 2008

…The Greek veto violates the 1995 United Nations brokered Interim Accord between Macedonia and Greece, which barred Greece from using the "name dispute" to impede Macedonia's NATO accession…

SEVEN
              UMD Calls for Suspension of “Name Dispute” Negotiations
              Wednesday, 15 October 2008

The United Macedonian Diaspora (UMD) today called upon the Government of the Republic of Macedonia to suspend UN brokered talks to resolve the Hellenic Republic’s* baseless objection to Macedonia’s name.

The most recent attempt to resolve the dispute proposed by UN mediator, Ambassador Matthew Nimetz, is being stymied by Athens because it does not advance Athens’ desire to extinguish Macedonian ethnic and national consciousness,” stated UMD President Metodija A. Koloski. “Rather than constructively participating in these negotiations, Athens merely waits for proposals from Ambassador Nimetz, rejects them out of hand, and then threatens Macedonia with a continued veto of Macedonia’s entry into NATO and now it has compounded that tactic with a threat to veto Macedonia’s EU membership,” added Koloski.

Athens instigated the “name dispute” when it objected to Macedonia’s name in 1991. A 1995 UN-brokered Interim Accord between Macedonia and the Hellenic Republic normalized relations between the two neighboring countries. This accord established the current negotiations. Since the start of the negotiations, Macedonia, unlike the Hellenic Republic, has proposed solutions to the “dispute.” The Hellenic Republic, however, has proposed not one solution, and even blatantly violated the Interim Accord by vetoing Macedonia’s admission to NATO based solely on its unilateral objection to Macedonia’s name.

Ambassador Nimetz and Macedonia have worked diligently to resolve the dispute, but the negotiations cannot succeed unless the Hellenic Republic ends its unilateral opposition and agrees to negotiate in good faith. The Hellenic Republic’s practice of insisting on intractable and extreme positions in the negotiations is the means by which the current Greek government manages to extend the dispute and exploit it for domestic political gain. While UMD seldom agrees with the Hellenic Republic’s Foreign Minister, we agree with her recent statement that it “‘takes two to tango” and that Macedonia must “accept reality” when it comes to this dispute,’” said Koloski who concluded that “more in sorrow than in anger, UMD calls upon the Macedonian Government to accept the reality that Athens is a disingenuous and untrustworthy negotiating partner, that continuing the UN sponsored talks is futile, that Athens and Athens alone has frustrated the current negotiations, and that Macedonia should take the necessary steps to suspend the current negotiations.”

In closing, Koloski stated, “It is unfortunate that this dispute cannot be resolved, but Macedonia should not allow itself to be held hostage by the intransigence and threats of the Hellenic Republic over Macedonia’s admission into NATO and the EU. Moreover, given Athens’ conduct to date, it is reasonable to conclude that the Hellenic Republic will continue to impede Macedonia’s Euro-Atlantic integration, regardless of progress in the negotiations. This situation will continue unless and until Athens successfully extorts a new name of its own choosing not just for Macedonia but also for the Macedonian people and the Macedonian language. It is the position of UMD that none of these fall under the purview of or may be dictated by the Hellenic Republic. Rather, these are the sovereign property of the Macedonian people.”

* The Hellenic Republic is the constitutional name of Greece.

Isn't it nice that UMD refers to Greece by its constitutional name?

Comment

• Vangelovski
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                If I may propose a hypothetical scenario for just a moment, I would like to know what are the immediate and long-term implications if the Macedonian state were to pull out of this illegal negotiation for our name?

What is the worst that could possibly happen?

What do we stand to gain?

I see two camps here, one calling for the immediate withdrawal of these negotiation and let the chips fall where they may, and the other calling for more time to better prepare for the exit, I think there are pros and cons in both arguments that can be explored, which is why this particular topic has evolved the way it has, what I am sure of is that everybody taking part in this discussion loves Macedonia and wants what is best, only the differing methods hold back any sort of unison.
                SoM,

Volk, and some of his like-minded scaremongers are alluding to an 'economic embargo'. There are two key points to keep in mind:

1. The 1995 embargo was 'unilateral' - Macedonia never reciprocated and Greek products were free to cross the Macedonian border.

2. Greece would not only be hurting the investments of private Greek companies, but of other foreign companies were it to instigate another embargo.

3. Greece is already placing embargo's on certain Macedonian products and Macedonia again is not reciprocating.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

You bring up an interesting point Vangelovski, would Greece risk the damage which would be caused to Greek businesses in Macedonia? They have alot of investments in the country, and if things get to a hectic point where we find ourselves under extreme pressure or in a state of retaliation, they will lose them and all that comes with it.

What about the IC, what negative implication will there be from them? Are we going to be booted out of the UN or some other organisation? Embargo? Sanctions? Is standing for our god-given right enough to provoke those idiots into taking it that far?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                    • Sep 2008

I think its important to keep things in perspective - we're talking about national sovereignty and human rights, not nuclear weapons or ethnic cleansing.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                      I think its important to keep things in perspective - we're talking about national sovereignty and human rights, not nuclear weapons or ethnic cleansing.
                      I agree, this is what any normal person would assume, but do you think the IC and UN would take such drastic steps and turn completely against us?

Because if not, that leaves Greece as the only problem, and I am confident that we can handle her.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                        • Sep 2008

I highly doubt anyone in the "international community" really cares about what we call ourselves, they have much more pressing issues to deal with - the Middle East, international terrorism, climate change etc.

The reason anyone listened to Greece's hysterics in the first place is because they saw the Macedonian Government's readiness to capitulate and took the path of least resistance. If the Macedonian Government took an assertive stance to begin with, I think we would be in a very different situation today.
                        Last edited by Vangelovski; 01-09-2009, 04:43 AM.

Comment

• Pelister
                          • Sep 2008

Given its politics and position regarding the name and the negotiations, I would say that UMD is very dangerous organization for Macedonian history, culture and identity; more so because it has direct access to the Macedonian leadership.

Comment

• Bratot
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
                            SoM,

Volk, and some of his like-minded scaremongers are alluding to an 'economic embargo'. There are two key points to keep in mind:

1. The 1995 embargo was 'unilateral' - Macedonia never reciprocated and Greek products were free to cross the Macedonian border.

2. Greece would not only be hurting the investments of private Greek companies, but of other foreign companies were it to instigate another embargo.

3. Greece is already placing embargo's on certain Macedonian products and Macedonia again is not reciprocating.

This is a very good opinion in sum...

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                            You bring up an interesting point Vangelovski, would Greece risk the damage which would be caused to Greek businesses in Macedonia? They have alot of investments in the country, and if things get to a hectic point where we find ourselves under extreme pressure or in a state of retaliation, they will lose them and all that comes with it.

The 'invisible' or 'silent' embargo, that Macedonia (at least the influential part of ) is promoting is a lot more successful than actual- official embargo.
                            The current policy is to manifest a higher consciousness,or to regain it back.
                            Promoting high moral and patriotic appeal to the ppl is causing very inopportunely climate for Greek companies and products.

This give us advantage, because we don't have to deal with some consequences in the foreign relations.

The Greek agressive and hostile policy is reflecting on our national intercourse, which push us the normal ppl to demonstrate a reflection on a local level, with boycotting everything Greek.
                            So they are suffering radically from the aversion they have produced of a simple mentioning 'Greece' among the masses.

And now speaking for their 'investments'.
                            About what investment are we talking about?

The banks cannot be considered as real investition for us, since they are in Greek hands.
                            They knot our capital by holding our money in their banks. They control a good part of the credit system in our economy.

It wasn't an accident that Putin has limited the foreign investments in Russia, since today the modern wars are being done on a corporation level, by economical conquering.

Our biggest mistake was the OKTA deal. But it's too late to moan now.
                            A serious country cares about the national interests and doesn't sell the most valuable capital resources.

The rest of their 'investment' in the country is pure exploiting of the labour. All of those Greek 'confections' should be banned permanently!

The reality is that good part of the Greeks doing 'business' in Macedonia are in charge of Greek inteligence.
                            The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Rogi
                              • Sep 2008

The big companies that get involved in Macedonia, such as the French bank "Société Générale" which bought the Ohrid bank (as one example of the now many) hold some significant political influence in their home countries.

They would not like to lose money on their investments in Macedonia on the account of Greece's nationalism.

The political, economic and diplomatic landscape is much different today than it was some 15 years ago and Greece cannot declare an unilateral embargo on Macedonia - or if it does, it will be unable to maintain it for very long.

I think the suggestion that Greece will initiate an embargo on Macedonia if we were to end the negotiations and move toward a UN Resolution on the name is un-realistic and those who suggest it do not consider all the factors that are involved which make it quite an unrealistic move.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

So Rogi, would you think it secure and/or solid enough for us to pull out of the talks now?

If not, what benefits do you see if we stay in the talks?

Comment

Working...
                                X