Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

It's a minefield of info.Especially the old newspapers,you used to be able to peruse via internet old newspapers via the state archives at the NSW state library.I don't know if it's still available.If people identified as Macedonians in Australia back in 1925 that would be a rare find indeed.It would be a very important document to prove our identity to the Australian GovernmentIn any submissions.
    THe other thing as far as the Macedonian identity.Most Macedonians & if not all identified as Yugoslavs.
    Last edited by George S.; 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM. Reason: edit
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Pelister this is excellent.
      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

"racially more Slavic than Greek"
        Merely highlights how ignorant these people are.

Notwithstanding this, it is nice to know the Government of Australia has been well aware of the "fake" Greeks for about 85 years now.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bij
          • Oct 2009

this saddens me. makes me wonder if us makedonci are facing some type of eternal curse to never be treated the way we should

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Bij View Post
            this saddens me. makes me wonder if us makedonci are facing some type of eternal curse to never be treated the way we should
            The true curse is when Macedonians don't learn their own history. Only then will Macedonians realize why it is we are in the boat we are in today. It's sites like MTO that are providing this history. All you have to do is take some time out to read and research.

Comment

• Pelister
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              Pelister, that is a strong find mate, well done. Where can we access more, state library?
              Thanks SoM. I been having a bit of dig at the National Archives recently, so I'll post some more stuff as I find it.

This particular file is stored at the National Archives of Australia (Canberra Branch).

The File comes from the Attorney General's Deparment, and has been digitized, but I do not know if it can be accessed via their website here.

I don't have the Item number and Title with me at the moment, but will post them up here in the next few days.

I will post the list of names of "Greeks and Yugoslavs" in the government file from 1925. By looking at them you would think they are Greeks and Serbians, except for some clear give aways that only a Macedonian would spot, such as "Naum Kostopoulos". For the rest it is thanks to some closer investigative work by the Australian officer that we learn they are Macedonians.

As an afterthought it also says alot about the Greek Community of Melbourne at that time who rejected them, and the official spokesperson Mr. Economides, who must have known to speak the Macedonian language.
              Last edited by Pelister; 11-18-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                Merely highlights how ignorant these people are.

Notwithstanding this, it is nice to know the Government of Australia has been well aware of the "fake" Greeks for about 85 years now.
                I don't like that term (as your probably aware by now) but I have to overlook the fact that it has been used here, because it gives us an insight into who they were. By saying they are more Slavic than Greek, it is certain we are dealing with Macedonian-speakers here.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

It's not easy to search for macedonian things in the archives.I tried to search for Macedonian things in the archives there's nothing.You have to know how to search & dig up stuff & it's not easy.If there is anything from yugoslavia you have to deduce from the name & surname that its macedonian.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister
                    As an afterthought it also says alot about the Greek Community of Melbourne at that time who rejected them....
                    I noticed this too. Now they try to hug them to death. It's pathetic, but even in such a source that obviously still has uncleared smoke, the real picture cannot be denied. What they are talking about are Macedonians, our ancestors, in 1925, which is prior to our recognized statehood, so the reference to 'Greeks' and 'Serbs' shouldn't be too suprising. What is important is the obviously notable differences, which were picked up by both Australians and Greeks at the time.

Macedonians in Australia from 1925!! That in itself is a solid find. Again, well done.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
                      • Sep 2008

I'll post the file name and number so that anyone can view it on the website.

The Australian government has always known about the Macedonians in Australia, who they are.

It is only due to the brazen and illogical protests of new Greeks that have prevented our recognition by this government.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                        • Jan 2009

page 590

page 936

page 164

@ The Little Bulgar
                        Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 12-25-2009, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

"We'll each be a father to the little Bulgar" ...lol

Keep it up TM, you're like an endless fountain of resources mate.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bratot
                            • Sep 2008

No no.. a big nono

"Alexander the Great was a Servian Bulgar" - said the wittle Bulgar

Pretty much same thinkin as nowdays Bulgarlar huh?
                            The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                              • Jan 2009

Macedonian Ohioans

Numerous Ohioans are descended from Macedonian ancestors. Today, Macedonian Ohioans continue to enhance Ohio's cultural and social landscape.

During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, millions of immigrants migrated to the United States of America, hoping to live the American Dream. Before the American Civil War, most immigrants arrived in the United States from Great Britain, Germany, and Ireland. By the 1880s, the home countries of immigrants began to change. Many of the new immigrants to arrive in the United States came from Eastern and Southern European countries, like Macedonia, Albania, Poland, Hungary, Lithuania, and Czechoslovakia, rather than from Western European countries, like Great Britain, Ireland, and Germany.

In 1860, 328,249 immigrants lived in Ohio. These people accounted for fourteen percent of the state's population. By 1900, the number of immigrants in Ohio rose to 458,734, but the percentage of the population that was foreign-born declined to eleven percent. Most of these immigrants in 1900 came from Germany, Great Britain, and Ireland, yet a growing number of Eastern and Southern Europeans were also migrating to the state.

In 1914, fewer than two thousand Macedonian immigrants resided in Ohio. Thousands of other Balkans from neighboring countries to Macedonia had also arrived in Ohio by this time. Most Balkans settled along Lake Erie, especially in Cleveland, where they found low-paying jobs in factories or worked as day laborers, but the majority of Macedonians who came to Ohio settled in Akron, Cincinnati, Lorain, Canton, Massillon, and Columbus, Ohio. Most Macedonian immigrants came to the United States to improve their financial situation and to escape political turmoil in their native country. Most of these immigrants were illiterate and, thus, were forced to accept low-paying positions. More successful immigrants established businesses that supplied their fellow migrants with traditional Macedonian products. In 1940, Ohio's largest cities usually included a few hundred Macedonian residents, with these migrants tending to settle in their own communities, preferring to live among people who shared similar cultural beliefs and spoke the same language as they did.

Macedonian immigrants congregated together partly out of camaraderie but also out of fear. During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, many native-born Americans feared outsiders. Some of these people objected to the immigrants' religious and cultural beliefs, while others believed that the foreigners would corrupt the morals of United States citizens. These people also contended that the quality of life within the United States would decline, as there were not enough jobs to employ the millions of people migrating to America. Many native-born Americans hoped either to limit immigration or to force foreigners to convert to American customs and beliefs. The leaders of this movement were the Progressives of the late 1800s and the early 1900s. To accomplish their goals, the Progressives implemented numerous reforms, including settlement houses, which taught foreigners American practices. The Progressives also called for laws that would either limit or ban the cultural practices of recently arrived immigrants. It would take several generations before the immigrants became truly accepted by the vast majority of white Ohioans.

While many Macedonian immigrants arrived in the United States prior to World War I, another wave of Macedonian migrants eventually reached this country in the years immediately following World War II. World War II destroyed numerous homes and businesses in Macedonia, and many residents of this country sought a better life in the United States. Ohio's Macedonian residents actively assisted these new arrivals in beginning new lives. The new immigrants tended to settle in the already established Macedonian communities in the state.

Over the succeeding decades, Ohio's traditional Macedonian communities began to lose their cohesiveness. As other Ohioans became more tolerant of the Macedonians, many Macedonian communities began to disintegrate. Many Macedonians moved into other communities, while non Macedonians began to infiltrate the traditionally Macedonian neighborhoods. This does not mean that Ohio's Macedonian population has lost its ties to its traditional cultural beliefs. Macedonian Ohioans continue to participate in various social and cultural groups that serve to promote Macedonian beliefs and customs. Most of these organizations are centered on the Eastern Orthodox Church, the dominant religion among Ohio's Macedonians.

References and Suggested Reading
                              •Knepper, George. Ohio and Its People. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press, 2003. - Available from Amazon.com
                              •Van Tassel, David D., and John J. Grabowski, eds. The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996. - Available from Amazon.com

Comment

• Bratot
                                • Sep 2008

Macedonians

The Macedonians from Romania are a Slavic, Orthodox population that came from Macedonia`s territory in several migration waves starting with the eleventh century. The Macedonians are a recognized national minority in Romania since 2000. The Macedonia village (Timis county) is one of the first Macedonian settlements in Romania, documented by Catholic Church records in 1332-1337 under the name of Machadonia.

Mape of the village location today:

or

Nicodim from Tismana (1340-1406), born in Prilep, Macedonia, came from the Athos mountain with a group of Macedonian, Greek, and Armani/Vlach monks and together built several monasteries: Tismana, Vodita, Prislop,Visina, etc. Sanctified in 1767, he is commemorated on December 26 th.

For Macedonians, whose country was a Ottoman province, Walachia represented an ideal of social and religious freedom. Therefore, many waves of migration have come to Romania, even during the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries. For Macedonians, the fight of the Romanian people against foreign occupations became their own fight, taking part in Mihai Viteazu`s fight against the Turks, in Tudor Vladimirescu`s revolt, as well as other wars for freedom and keeping the Orthodox religion.

The first migration of Macedonians have occurred in the mid-14th century, when established their village under the name "Macedonia".

To make a pure differentiation between Macedonians and Vlachs:
                                Macedonenii slavi

Nu īn ultimul rānd, trebuie subliniat faptul că macedonenii s-au aşezat īn Ţările Romāne şi ca urmare a bunelor relaţii pe care le aveau cu aromānii, populaţie minoritară īn Macedonia, cunoscuţi şi sub denumirea de vlahi sau macedo-romāni (machidoni).

Превод:
                                Конечно, тоа треба да се нагласи дека Македонците се населиле во Романија и поради добрите односи што ги имаа со Власите, етничкото малцинство во Македонија, исто така познато како Власи или македонско-романско (machidoni).

Translation:
                                Finally, it should be stressed that the Macedonians settled in Romania and because of the good relations they had with the Vlachs, the ethnic minority in Macedonia, also known as Vlachs or Macedonian-Romanian (machidoni).

About village Maczedonia on Hungarian language:

The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

Working...
                                X