View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 02:21 AM   #398
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
Just because many of them didn't have the opportunity to travel to other towns in the 19th century doesn't mean they were ignorant of their existence or hadn't heard stories about them. As for your family members, they either know that places like Ohrid, Skopje and Strumica exist or they don't. If they don't, then they have either been brainwashed by the education system in Greece or have a limited interest in their ancestral culture, history and kinsmen from other parts of Macedonia.
Bit rich to just assume people in my region were brainwashed or have limited interest in their culture I feel you believe 19th century Macedonian peasants knew a lot more than they were realistically capable of knowing. Kostursko has been a hotbed for Macedonian revolutionary activity for over a century, so you cannot claim people aren't interested in their culture because they died for it. No one was brainwashed by the Greek education system either because if that were the case, they would not call themselves Macedonians. A spade is a spade and a shovel a shovel; not every Macedonian peasant in the 1850s knew the exact geographic definition of Macedonia and all the towns it encompasses (especially seeing how Macedonia was not strictly defined until a few decades later).