View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
Liberator of Makedonija

Liberator of Makedonija is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om3n View Post
As a follow-up to my last post: after a bit of research I am certain that the colourised image above is another Bulgar forgery. I found a site which has a vectorised version of the flag in question here. The vector image has a red background with a black lion which, based on the preponderance of such flags, I believe is a more accurate representation of the flag's original colour.

Moreover, in the comment section of that site, a Bulgar has made the assertion that the "original" flag colour is green; the lion red, and that "no one draws a black lion" (translated from Bulgar), no doubt referring to the colourised image. This statement is of course false since the flag of the Razlovtsi Uprising also has a black lion on a red backdrop. The Bulgar also claims that the text is white, but in the colourised image one can see that the green saturation is overlayed even on the "white text" (evidently cutting corners). But the most damning of all is that the Bulgar actually links to the potential source of this manipulation, another Bulgar on Facebook who colourises old photographs. He is then duly called out on it in the reply.

To top it all of, here is a real-life reconstruction of the flag that I found. I wonder what their point of reference was...

Think you're onto it there Om3n and you are right about the black lion on the red background. Here is the flag from the Razlovci Uprising:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko777 View Post
I wonder if the green backdrop is a reference to or was borrowed from the green Ottoman flag?
It would explain why they had white crescents on it.

This is possible as the fight was for autonomy within the Ottoman Empire, not total independence. So it would make sense to incorporate some Ottoman symbolism, we can't forget Sandanski posed with Ottoman flags during the Young Turk Revolution.