• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VMRO
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
    Is Volkanovski half Greek?
    Yeah, apparently from his mothers side.
    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Gocka
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
      Yeah, apparently from his mothers side.
      Of course he is.

I guess the commission will decide whether we can claim him or not.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
        Is Volkanovski half Greek?
        HAHAHAHAHAHA

It will be interesting what "type" of macedonian he is....

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

He identifies his ancestry as Macedonian while also acknowledging his maternal side is not. Don’t see an issue there, he seems like a decent enough bloke. Doesn’t strike me as political but pretty sure he won’t allow others to denigrate his father’s heritage.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
            • Jul 2012

He definitely seems more inclined to his Macedonian side, has mentioned it many more times than his Greek side from what I have seen in some of his interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbdrfESoyuY At around 5:10 mentions that he was close to 100kg back when he was younger as a rugby player but that after a Macedonian wedding he was definitely over 100kg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMIssc5pVc Seems to talk about both Macedonians and Greeks at the start of this vid in regard to his name change to Alexander 'the Great' Volkanovski, but later only mentions Macedonians at around 4:20, in regards to them supporting him because of the new nickname.

Seems like a decent Macedonian to me, and a great fighter.
            "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
              • Feb 2019

He talks more about his Macedonian ancestry and most of his fans are Macedonians. Many more Australians and even New Zealanders are following him more too as they can clearly see he’s an exciting prospect in the Featherweight division.

How great would it be for our Macedonian community if he beats Aldo and then later in the future becomes the first ever Macedonian UFC Champion.

Fingers crossed

Comment

• JPMKD
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Chicho Makedonski View Post
                He talks more about his Macedonian ancestry and most of his fans are Macedonians. Many more Australians and even New Zealanders are following him more too as they can clearly see he’s an exciting prospect in the Featherweight division.

How great would it be for our Macedonian community if he beats Aldo and then later in the future becomes the first ever Macedonian UFC Champion.

Fingers crossed
                Welcome to the forum Alex!

J/K.

I agree, it would definitely be good to see him win and move up the ladder. Planning on watching it. I've let my relatives in the states know about him too. My cousin and her husband are/were pretty big UFC fans during the Couture, Iceman and Ortiz era
                Not a Northadonian

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Alexander won by a decision in a dominating performance against a legend. Title shot coming up next (hopefully)!
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Karposh
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    He identifies his ancestry as Macedonian while also acknowledging his maternal side is not. Don’t see an issue there, he seems like a decent enough bloke. Doesn’t strike me as political but pretty sure he won’t allow others to denigrate his father’s heritage.
                    Congratulations to Alex. I just wanted to touch on the ethnicity of his mum for a moment. Alex has clearly stated that his mum is Greek and that should be the end of it you would think. However, there are rumours going around that his mum is in fact an Aegean Macedonian from Lerin. I heard that one from a friend today but he admitted he can't confirm it. Interestingly, in what I can only describe as a six degrees of separation moment, it turns out my brother-in-law's half brother, who lives in the Gong, is good mates with Alex Volkanovski. Unfortunately he's not close with him at all so there's no way I can get him to confirm the rumour from his half-brother. Volkanovski doesn't strike me as political either so if his mum is in fact an Aegean Macedonian then it probably wouldn't be a stretch to assume that her "Greekness" could be just a flippant remark because her roots are from Greece.

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
                      • Feb 2019

If it’s not the title shot next I think they will give him Zabit, Ortega or Edgar. It all depends if and when Holloway wants to come back down to Featherweight for a title fight.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Zabit is doing well but is beneath Alex in the rankings. Ortega, who is beneath Aldo, suffered a defeat in his last fight against Holloway. And rumour has it that Zabit and Ortega will be fighting each other soon. As for Edgar, he got decked by Ortega last year and has lost to Aldo twice. Alex is on a 7 fight winning streak in the UFC so if they do what's right, he should be next in line for a shot at the title. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if Holloway doesn't return to featherweight after his recent loss as it's a competitive division. On another note, Conor has been taking subtle shots at both Aldo and Holloway recently, in addition to hinting a possible return. Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking, but how crazy would it be if Alex takes the featherweight crown from Holloway and then matches up against Conor in the near future. Alex has been severely underrated in his last few fights by all sorts of morons and supposed die-hard UFC fans, but the guy is confident, fights like a lion and has relentless energy. He has every chance of becoming champ.

As for his maternal side being Greek, I don't see it as an issue. She couldn't be an anti-Macedonian racist (like many other Greeks) if she married a Macedonian man. And it would be wrong to expect him to disregard his mum's heritage. That said, he doesn't look like a guy that would allow people to insult his Macedonian heritage. And let's face it, given the rabid hatred for Macedonians that many of them espouse, few Greeks (aside from his relatives and friends) are going to support him anyway. The very fact he identifies as Macedonian is enough for those maggots to despise him.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Looks like the UFC aren’t going to do the right thing. In addition to the Ortega vs Zabit fight in July, the same card will apparently feature Holloway vs Edgar. So Alex beats the number 1 contender (who himself has beaten Edgar twice) and they look past him. Unbelievable.

Comment

• Gocka
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                            Looks like the UFC aren’t going to do the right thing. In addition to the Ortega vs Zabit fight in July, the same card will apparently feature Holloway vs Edgar. So Alex beats the number 1 contender (who himself has beaten Edgar twice) and they look past him. Unbelievable.
                            It doesn't make any sense in terms of rankings. Its obviously down to popularity, what else could it be?

Comment

• Chicho Makedonski
                              • Feb 2019

That’s beyond stupid. How does Edgar deserve a title shot over Volkanovski? Volkanovski beat the #1 contender meaning he should be the #1 contender and next in line for a title shot, not Edgar that hasn’t even beaten Aldo let alone Holloway. I believe the UFC put Aldo against Volkanovski in Brazil to put everything in Aldo’s favour so he could be victorious and get the shot at the title next with his ‘comeback story’. They wanted Aldo to win, wasn’t to be

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Massive upset today with the so-called unified heavyweight champion (Joshua) being taken out by a Mexican-American (Ruiz) who nobody thought had a chance. Some are comparing it Tyson-Douglas. Honestly, serves Joshua right for dodging Deontay Wilder for so long, knowing that the latter had a more than average chance of knocking him into next week. So much for the 'money fight'.

Comment

Working...
                                X