X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makedonin
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
    luke is considered greek because by then the word greek was a broad term used to denote culture and language not kinship.

I don't know about that osiris.

How ever, I don't like quoting the wikipedia, still it can be asserted that in this case, the following is true:

St. Paul in his Epistles uses Hellene almost always juxtaposed to Hebrew, and in disregard of all other ethnicities (Romans, Syrians, Egyptians, etc) living in the area at the time. This is probably done with the aim of representing the sums of those two religious communities, the polytheistic and the monotheistic, whose cardinal theological difference was belief to either many or to one god, respectively.[34] Hellene is used in a religious meaning for the first time in the New Testament. In the Gospel of Mark 7:26, a woman arrives before Jesus kneeling before him: "The woman was a Hellene, a Syrophœnician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter."[35] Since the nationality or ethnicity of the woman is stated to be Syrophœnician, "Greek" (translated as such into the English of the King James Version, but as haižno "heathen" in Ulfilas's Gothic; Wycliffe and Coverdale likewise have heathen) must therefore signify her polytheistic religion.

The same usage was attested in the Hewrew word Javan, wich today it is translated as Greek.

Daniel 8:20-21
    By the word “Javan” the Hebrews designate not only the Greeks but the: Macedonians, and the whole of that tract which is divided by the Hellespont, from Asia Minor as far as Illyricmn. Therefore the meaning is — the king of Greece.

So what is left for the Greeks there?
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by osiris View Post
      yes there is makedonin thanks for pointing it out because sometimes translations can change the meaning and significance of the phrase or word.

luke is considered greek because by then the word greek was a broad term used to denote culture and language not kinship.
      Todays Western Scholars have differing views on Luke's origins. The so-called "tradition" is to state that he is a Greek from Antioch. However I have not seen anything in the bible to call him a Greek.
      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
        Interestingly, in the Coine Version of the Acts 16.9 of 1550 Stephanus New Testament it says

I have the Biyantine version and it has the same words as above, which would roughly translate in

Or as it is found in many Bible translations as :

So there is a hudge version between Macedonian man and man of Macedonia.

More to read about the translations:

http://www.ntgreek.org/learn_nt_gree...ranslation.htm
        Thanks for this Makedonin.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
          • Jan 2009

page 206

and the names underlined here are of Macedonians who were integral in spreading the good word;

Comment

• Makedonetz
            • Apr 2010

TrueMacedonian awsome references i have something to look up and study
            Makedoncite se borat
            za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
            - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Bill77
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
              The same usage was attested in the Hewrew word Javan, wich today it is translated as Greek.
              "Javan" denotes usually and properly Ionia, the western part of Asia Minor; which Today this region is part of Turkey.

Now who were these "Ionians" around 1000 years BC? well its certainly not these malakas we know as Greeks today.

Anyway, whats so special about the Ionians from around 1000BC and why did "Javan" denote "Ionia"?

Because Ionia was the birthplace of the new science.
              A qualitative change occurred in Ionia shortly after 1000 BC. A place where civilization broke the link between religion and science and established a new discipline for systematic attempts to understand and explain nature. The new discipline was called philosophy, literally "love of wisdom", and science was part of it. A place where local Ancient scholars kept religion out of science. It was believed that religion was not suitable as a tool to explain the natural world.

So you see the word Javan/Ionia then later Hellene, was given to anyone who chose science over religion. It was not an ethnic sense. And those that translate it today as Greek (in an ethnic sense) is very wrong and its totally misleading.

Makedonin, Knowing that you are an athiest, if you walked the streets anywhere in the world back in ancient days, you also would have been labelled a Hellene. Now According to Greeks and some modern scholars, you would have been an ethnic Greek. How ridiculous is that.
              Last edited by Bill77; 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM.
              http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

If the Greeks are called Javan where's the macedonians,it doesn't mention them in any sons of Noah.Or are the macedonians lumped as one with Javan the greeks. thanks tm they are great.
                Last edited by George S.; 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM. Reason: edit
                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                  • Jan 2009

What alot Macedonians don't realize is how this legacy of St.Paul and Luke in Macedonia would later eventually lead into the Bogomil movement which would start in Macedonia and spread outward.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

TM it is clear that ST Luke was a Macedonian.
                    On the word Javan i think it means "screwed" in macedonian.What does that tell you about our greek friends.
                    Last edited by George S.; 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM. Reason: edit
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

It tells us that some of our Greek friends have more common sense than some our Macedonian brothers. What does it tell you, George?
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Well SOM i agree with that look at the name negotiations.it's got the macedonian govt eating out of it's hands & the greeks are not giving anything in return.
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

I was making reference to your 'screwed' suggestion regarding Javan and the Greeks.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                          X