View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #22
Po-drum

Po-drum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
Similarly, it is today believe that the Slavonic word for king - kral, korol, kralj, krľ, etc. derives from the name of Charlemagne - Karl, in English Charles. But I think it could be of a much older origin deriving from something like the root *kar - "to rule", "to smite". There are no words for a ruler or king in any Slavic language that derive from the IE root *h₃reǵ- (Lat. regere, Gk. ὀρέγω (oregō), Eng. riht/right, Gm. reht/recht, ON rttr, Goth. raihts, Thrac. rhesus, Toch. rk/rk, Arm. arcvi/ardzvi;
*H₃rēǵ-(H₃n-) / "ruler, king": Skr. राजन् (rājan), Oscan regaturei, Lat. rēx, Gaul. rīx, Ir. rg/rgh, Welsh rhi, Av. raz, Pers. rahst, Alb. radh), unless borrowed, but I couldn't find anything on *kar, so I won't go any further on that.
Regarding *kar - I can say it only reminds me of the name of first macedonian mitycal king Karan.
Аctually, there is a word "kara" - a verb that is used in a part of macedonian dialects (south and eastern) and in modern bulgarian literary language which have a meaning of "drive, lead, to make, to force to compel".
Po-drum is offline   Reply With Quote