X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
    In German, pigins are called Taube and comes from Taub > deaf.

Why is it so, can't really tell.
    Maybe 'cause they don't listen when you tell them to f_ck off!
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

So we have a unique Macedonian word, and there are surely several more, and the best place to find them is when speaking with older Macedonians in the native dialects, as we begin to uncover more we will compile an eventual list.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• makedonin
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Maybe 'cause they don't listen when you tell them to f_ck off!
        similar to the Grks
        To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

How about the words KANDISA and BENDISA, does anybody else here use them, and if so, what do they mean to you?

The word Bendisa is close Bendis, the name of an ancient Thracian goddess of the moon. The ancient Greeks identified her with Artemis.

"Just as in all other respects the Athenians continue to be hospitable to things foreign, so also in their worship of the gods; for they welcomed so many of the foreign rites that they were ridiculed for it by comic writers; and among these were the Thracian and Phrygian rites." --Strabo Geography (1st Century CE), 10.3.18.
          Thracians and Phrygians = Macedonians.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• makedonin
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            How about the words KANDISA and BENDISA, does anybody else here use them, and if so, what do they mean to you?
            Bendisa > to like somebody, to be attracted to someone.

Kandisa > to prepare one self for work after long thought or avoiding some task for example.
            To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Thanks Makedonin, same here.

Comment

• Sarafot
                • Dec 2008

We use them to,
                Bendisa mi se forumot.
                Kandisav edna kola.
                Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
                  Bendisa > to like somebody, to be attracted to someone.
                  Would you agree it also means something as well?

That is how I know it.

I should add that in my "household katharevousa experiment" I have almost banished "aresa/aresfam" because I believe it has Greek connections. I have since discovered Bulgarians also use this word. And accept that Macedonian can possibly include ONE Greek loanword.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• makedonin
                    • Sep 2008

Would you agree it also means something as well?
                    That is how I know it.
                    It is unfamiliar to me in that annotation.

I should add that in my "household katharevousa experiment" I have almost banished "aresa/aresfam" because I believe it has Greek connections. I have since discovered Bulgarians also use this word. And accept that Macedonian can possibly include ONE Greek loanword.
                    αρεσα > liked, to like, it is not clear if it is Greek or Bulgarian. But it would not be the first word in Bulgarian to come from Greek or vice versa.

Bulgarians use the word Hora> people, Narod. It comes from Greek Χωρα > state which only renders how the Bulgarians percieve their Nation. State equals People and vice versa.

With out State no People in other words.
                    Last edited by makedonin; 02-18-2009, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Good observation Makedonin.

Risto, this is how I would use Bendisa, and it would be more for an object rather than a person:

Mi se bendisa kolata
                      Nogu e bendisvam kukyata

or for a person,

Ti se bendisa chupeto?

Macedonians use Graf or Grah (depending on the dialect) coming from Grasha(k), which is not a loanword. However, Serbs use Pasulj for the same food, which seems to be a loan from the Greek Fasoulia, unless it is ultimately a Latin word, not sure.

Comment

• makedonin
                        • Sep 2008

You are welcome SoM.

However, Serbs use Pasulj for the same food, which seems to be a loan from the Greek Fasoulia, unless it is ultimately a Latin word, not sure.
                        Fasulye is also used by the Turks and Фасул in Bulgarian. Not sure if it is a Greek word either.
                        Last edited by makedonin; 02-18-2009, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

On google Translate, 'beans' in Slovenian is Fizhol, in Polish it is Fasola, in Slovak it is Fazula, in Ukrainian it is Kvasolya, in Russian it is Fasol, in Bulgarian it is Fasul, but in Serbian and Croatian it is Grah. Interesting, this points to a Slavic origin.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Macedonians use Graf or Grah (depending on the dialect) coming from Grasha(k), which is not a loanword. However, Serbs use Pasulj for the same food, which seems to be a loan from the Greek Fasoulia, unless it is ultimately a Latin word, not sure.
                            Ajde be ... it is "bop".
                            And it certainly does.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• makedonin
                              • Sep 2008

Ajde be ... it is "bop".
                              And it certainly does.
                              It is true, other word for kind of a Beans used by Bulgarians and Russians is BOB

look up here, I ain't sure about the accuracy but anyways:

Some more on it:

Last edited by makedonin; 02-18-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Sarafot
                                • Dec 2008

On google Translate, 'beans' in Slovenian is Fizhol, in Polish it is Fasola, in Slovak it is Fazula, in Ukrainian it is Kvasolya, in Russian it is Fasol, in Bulgarian it is Fasul, but in Serbian and Croatian it is Grah. Interesting, this points to a Slavic origin.
                                Slovenians say bob to single ''zrno'' of fižol-bop
                                Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                                - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

Working...
                                X