Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlin
    • Dec 2011

Athens and the Peloponnese with Sketches of Northern Greece, By Hermann Hettner - 1854.

Page 220

"The town of Chaeronea lay on the east side of Petrachus, a rocky and almost inaccessible mountain-cone, on the summit of which was its acropolis. The solid walls of this citadel, built of hewn blocks; the semicircle of the theatre cut in the natural rock, with its double precinction and three tiers of seats; an ancient marble chair, at present standing in the church, and called in these parts the throne of Plutarch, because Plutarch was born at Chaeronea, - attest the opulence and the love of art which in ancient times not unfrequently characterized even the smallest country towns. The broad and fertile plain which stretches from the foot of Parnassus almost to the Copaic lake is now utterly desolate and uncultivated. There are only a few wretched huts here. Two Wallachian boys, beautiful as the most beautiful statues of Greek ephebi, have put up a tavern, in which they retail wretched wine and brandy (Krasi and Naki)."

Last edited by Carlin; 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Niko777
      • Oct 2010

A really interesting read about the formation of modern Greek identity, language, name changes:

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

I doubt if the so called modern hellenism is the same as the past?THey talk about a greeat restoration.Is that it?I have my doubts.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TRAVOLTA
          • Nov 2009

This documentary tells the truth about the creation of the Greek state in the 19th century. Still many perspectives have to be analyzed far better than till now, but we get a general idea what has happened with the history of Greece. Falsehood and deletions of facts, about the Albanian population of Greece,
          This documentary tells the truth about the creation of the Greek state in the 19th century. Still many perspectives have to be analyzed far better than till ...

Comment

• Dejan
            • Sep 2008

Great documentary Travolta
            You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Philosopher
              • Sep 2008

This guy Marios Dimopoulos believes Albanian girls are Greek and beautiful.

Albanian girls are Greek and beautiful. Albanian Girls Doing Aerobics - YouTube

Albanian girls are Greek and beautiful. Albanians are Greeks!!! (Part 1) - YouTube

So some Greeks believe Albanians are Greeks.

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

Some albanians are greeks.How ???Why??THey are just grinding their hips away.
                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Philosopher
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                  Some albanians are greeks.How ???Why??THey are just grinding their hips away.
                  Not sure, I think Marios thinks these woman (or Albanians in general) look Greek. You know the Greeks. If it looks or sounds Greek, it must be Greek!

Comment

• Constellation
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                    Not sure, I think Marios thinks these woman (or Albanians in general) look Greek. You know the Greeks. If it looks or sounds Greek, it must be Greek!
                    Or maybe Greeks are Albanians with a false superimposed language.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

the gwivel of the hips hey presto you become greeks. took their national dress taken from the albanians.So when it comes to identity if you look greek you are greek because of your looks.
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Constellation View Post
                        Or maybe Greeks are Albanians with a false superimposed language.
                        Yep they are called Arvanites.Loads of them all over Greece

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
                          Yep they are called Arvanites.Loads of them all over Greece
                          Is there a significant number that identify as Albanians? Based on your experiences.
                          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

the greeks like to immitate different people in the guise of being greek.THe greeks even wear albanian clothes.I saw a figure of the albanians in greece something of the order of 1 millon people.But arvantes are spread right all around greece.So greece is anything but greek.
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• spitfire
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

It's true that arvanites are albanians, but they fought in the side of greece during the revolution. If you ask them they identify themselves as greeks but they do not deny their origins.

Now, for the part of clothes. "Foustanela" as it is called in greek, is a piece of clothing that everybody wore at the time. It is also perfect for sitting even on thorns and bushes, that is how thick it is. Why sit on thorns and bushes? Because there are no furniture when you fight in the mountains, and live a way of rebel life.
                              Therefore foustanela, is a symbol of liberation. It is also part of the official national uniform for that matter. You can see the presidential guard wear it in front of the greek parliament, in the spot of the monument of the uknown soldier.

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

yeah the albanians got in troyuble in the navy where they spoke albanian and were told only to speak greek.In any of the wars macedonians etc were used like cannon fodder in the frontline.They were told they are fighting for freedom what a lie.
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X