X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimitrov
    • Feb 2014

Macedonian perception of their neighbors

I know that Macedonians generally have negative perceptions of Bulgarians, Albanians and Greeks, but how do Macedonians feel about Serbia? How do Macedonians feel about the days of Yugoslavia and the decision of the former Macedonian leaders to secede from Yugoslavia? I am just wondering, I am Bulgarian and am interested to see what out neighbors are thinking, in Bulgaria, only young people (most young people here are nationalists) and our politicians really think about Macedonia, and when they do, they are usually thinking of annexing it. I don't want that, personally, I just wish we could have friendly relations with Macedonia sort of like Serbia and Montenegro have close relations, or Germany and Austria, because I can think that we can all admit that we are related, given the extreme similarities between our languages and YDNA Haplogroups. So then, how exactly do Macedonians feel about Macedonia and foreign policy regarding Bulgaria and the rest of their neighbors? How do Macedonians feel about their neighbors the Bulgarians and others?
  • Redsun
    • Jul 2013

Dimitrov before you try to understand other peoples perceptions.

Consider how you perceive the world and how you perceive others perceptions. If you have poor perception how could you possibly understand others perceptions?

Perception. I can tell your a racist. Why? because... you asked for an answer on the perception that people may have on certain countries you named.

Consider this, people don't think the way you do. I feel sorry for you, you believe that other people "generally" perceive races of people as a whole... that is a low senseless perception... is this how you perceive others races in the world? not as individuals but how you "feel" towards a race? That's sad.

So if you did get an answer to what? How many questions do you have riddled in that mess?... If you did get an answer, that, would be an individuals perception. How would that perception represent the views of how Macedonians feel?

Why not ask your neighbors? Why come here and ask?

I don't know why I bothered with this, you wouldn't perceive my answer correctly because... I "feel"... you have a "negative" perception.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
      • Nov 2009

I think we need to have a like button. Good answer Red Sun.
      Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Dimitrov
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Redsun View Post
        Dimitrov before you try to understand other peoples perceptions.

Consider how you perceive the world and how you perceive others perceptions. If you have poor perception how could you possibly understand others perceptions?

Perception. I can tell your a racist. Why? because... you asked for an answer on the perception that people may have on certain countries you named.

Consider this, people don't think the way you do. I feel sorry for you, you believe that other people "generally" perceive races of people as a whole... that is a low senseless perception... is this how you perceive others races in the world? not as individuals but how you "feel" towards a race? That's sad.

So if you did get an answer to what? How many questions do you have riddled in that mess?... If you did get an answer, that, would be an individuals perception. How would that perception represent the views of how Macedonians feel?

Why not ask your neighbors? Why come here and ask?

I don't know why I bothered with this, you wouldn't perceive my answer correctly because... I "feel"... you have a "negative" perception.
        It's okay, you don't have to feel sorry for me, I like my life, and that is what matters. Also, Macedonians aren't a race. Also, I think it's fairly clear that many of the people on your forum do have perceptions and judge ethnicities as wholes rather than the individuals belonging to the ethnicity, given some of the popular topics on your forum such as "Racism and Chauvinism a very Greek trait", in fact, it seems that you people on your forum like to generalize and judge ethnicities quite a lot. So in the end, why not just answer my question(s), or are Bulgarians not deserving of answers and responses because they are the "enemy" of "the Macedonian stuggle/hardship thingy "?

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
          Banned
          • Jan 2014

I don’t mind telling you. For Greece, Bulgaria was an enemy for almost 60 (continuous) years. The stories related to the commitadji and even the WWII occupation were monstrous. Even today the term Bulgaria(n) has still a (remaining) negative echo. Anyway, since the end of war, relations have been perfect and right now Bulgaria is probably our best neighbor, our only friendly neighbor probably because our interests align.

Bulgaria is an interesting case, because about 100 years ago it was a country and a nation probably bigger, wider and more powerful or promising than the Greek one. Yet, everything was a disaster for you in the 20th century. A disastrous choice to start the 2nd Balkan War, wrong side in World War I, wrong side in World War II, wrong side after it. Even, during the communist period among seven Eastern European counties (Albania, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and Romania), Bulgaria didn’t make ANY impression and was the dullest and most submissive ally of Soviet Union.

In the post war period Bulgaria seems like a defeated, rather weak and lost country, unable to threaten anyone. It seems you have a slow progress within European Union, but still you are the poorest country of the Union with several issues (most of all the decrease of population).

I don’t know much about Bulgarian culture. Constantinova often visited Greece and was very famous and popular here. I haven’t heard of Bulgarian authors, know nothing about your music, I’ve seen only two films:
          - The Peach Thief, an internationalist and pacifistic masterpiece from the communist era
          -Zift, a very good, dark, modern film.

Bulgarians as immigrants haven’t made a very negative or positive impression in Greece. Not many have come: mostly farm workers (which were surprisingly legal immigrants) and (unfortunately) prostitutes. There was a demeaning local joke here (Bulgarians coming soon) referring to Bulgarian showgirls. I think you are a beautiful (and tall) race as far as I can say.

Almost all businessmen of Macedonia have moved part of their business in Bulgaria and many young people were studying there in the 80s. Also many go for the weekend to ski resorts that are very popular. I once asked a businessman of the situation there, expecting to hear about the local mafia, corruption etc. On the contrary he said it was quite good, stable and that you have a Prime Minister who is persistent and when he says something he does it without giving a shit about anything.

I have never met any Bulgarian but I do plan to cross the country by car and stay 2 or 3 days while traveling to Romania.

-----------
          Last edited by Sweet Sixteen; 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Dimitrov
            • Feb 2014

Yes, I know about this rivalry that once existed between Greece and Bulgaria, and am happy that we are no longer national rivals. I wouldn't say everything was a disaster for us in the 20th century, communism was actually nicer than capitalism here before 1989 came around, little did we know that 1989 would bring in corrupt politicians, poverty, heavily increased crime and immigration from the country, and a severely decreased military capability. The 21st century is the worst thing that happened to Bulgaria since the start of Ottoman occupation, joining NATO forced us to scrap a lot of our military equipment and joining the EU forced us to privatize too many strong state owned industries and therefor give too much economical power to oligarchs. But, our current prime minister is a good man, he is helping us very much have closer relations with Russia, and cooperate less with Western Europe. As for the population decline, the reason why it looks so bad is because Bulgaria had a rather large growth in births shortly after the end of the second world war, and now, all of those people who were part in this time of mass birth rate are dying of age, and so since so many people are dying of age at the same time, it looks like a large population decline, when in reality, it is mostly retirees who are dying and making the population growth rate look so low. As for Bulgaria being able to threaten countries, even though we scraped a lot of our weapons of the military, the Bulgarian state owned arms industry can pump out a lot of modern equipment during war time, i am actually writing a report on this at the moment.

Comment

• Dejan
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dimitrov View Post
              Also, Macedonians aren't a race.
              I feel the same way about Bulgarians
              You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Dimitrov
                • Feb 2014

Great, because neither Bulgarians nor Macedonians are a race, they are ethnicities, but not races, get it right.

Comment

• ramo
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dimitrov View Post
                  I know that Macedonians generally have negative perceptions of Bulgarians, Albanians and Greeks, but how do Macedonians feel about Serbia? How do Macedonians feel about the days of Yugoslavia and the decision of the former Macedonian leaders to secede from Yugoslavia? I am just wondering, I am Bulgarian and am interested to see what out neighbors are thinking, in Bulgaria, only young people (most young people here are nationalists) and our politicians really think about Macedonia, and when they do, they are usually thinking of annexing it. I don't want that, personally, I just wish we could have friendly relations with Macedonia sort of like Serbia and Montenegro have close relations, or Germany and Austria, because I can think that we can all admit that we are related, given the extreme similarities between our languages and YDNA Haplogroups. So then, how exactly do Macedonians feel about Macedonia and foreign policy regarding Bulgaria and the rest of their neighbors? How do Macedonians feel about their neighbors the Bulgarians and others?
                  Hi Dimitrov. You are wrong that most young people in Bulgaria are nationalists. Maybe towards the gypsies (mangali) only. The bulgarians in whole i think are very friendly towards macedonians. Macedonians are also friendly towards bulgarians. This is because of the similarities in language, mentality and the fact that we are neighbors. I think if you ask bulgarians who have been to macedonia will confirm this. BUT, some of your "intellectuals" are probably one of the biggest retarded morons. With their denying of macedonian language, nation and some of them which are most stupid, denying the name Macedonia and the country. Some people perceive this as common thinking of bulgarians and have wrong perception of bulgarians as people. But most of the Macedonians as i said are friendly and always refuse talking national stuff when having conversation and everything is OK. Bulgarian official politics has some issues with macedonia but they have to hold some line in front of their own voters.

And your remark about races is probably wrong because in english language the term "race" , especially in USA, is very often used about denoting ethnicity.

Comment

• Redsun
                    • Jul 2013

Dimitrov "So in the end, why not just answer my question(s)"

Why ask? how will it justify your understanding?

You made it evident that you don't have the mental capacity to understand another persons perception.

You are prejudice... your preconceived opinion is based on your perception... the thread was doomed from the start.

In your first post, your last sentence.

"How do Macedonians feel about their neighbors the Bulgarians and others?"

The first question you asked.

"I know that Macedonians generally have negative perceptions of Bulgarians, Albanians and Greeks,"

Your opinion is that Macedonians have negative perceptions about their neighbors... that's YOUR OPINION from an individual with very very poor perception.

You stated it... "I know", that's your incompetent perception.

You have come here with negative intentions, your request is rhetoric as you don't intend to accept any other perception because your mind cannot calculate another perception.

Dimitrov "Its okay, you don't have to feel sorry for me."

No, its not okay, I can help but to feel sorry for you because after you read this you still wont understand, I shouldn't have to tell anyone this, elevate your perception from its current point you may see the world in a whole new way buddy.

Dimitrov "I like my life"... so to justify your existence and to show how much you "like your life" you log on to the internet, come here for what...

You must have a great life its evident through your text.

One last thing, below is another example of how you "perceive" things.

So in the end, why not just answer my question(s), or are Bulgarians not deserving of answers and responses because they are the "enemy" of "the Macedonian stuggle/hardship thingy "

Dimitrov read what you wrote. Enemy? Who would use this term?

You make yourself the enemy. Perhaps your conscious is an enemy too? Preventing you from perceiving things from a realistic point of view?

Comment

• Stojacanec
                      • Dec 2009

There is a big hole in your story Dimitrov.

Only young people and politicians think about annexing Macedonia??

You have missed the middle and old aged Bulgarians. What do they think? Don't they have an impact on what the young people think and who the politicians aim to please?

I don't have any negative perceptions about Bulgarians but judging from your story, maybe I should.

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Macedonia is too busy complying with each country's propaganda.One counry Greece demands ha Macedonia should change heir name.this is despite a majority of Macedonians don' want a name change for obvious reasons.It depends how far the neighbour Greece is going to take up the line despite over 130 countries recognizing Macedonia as ROM according o the constitution.They go on as if there is a dispute.If there is one its sure as one sided nbut there is no real dispute.How can a name of a province conflict with a name of a country.No Greece wants a monopoly on the name.
                        he Bulgarians have similar propaganda of not recognizing Macedonians as Macedonians.It considers hem as bulgars.
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dimitrov
                          I know that Macedonians generally have negative perceptions of Bulgarians, Albanians and Greeks......
                          All of our neighbours have contributed to the separation or destruction of Macedonian territory and none of them truly respect Macedonians on a political or national level. Do you expect any different?
                          .....how do Macedonians feel about Serbia?
                          We care as much about Serbia as we do about the other neighbours. In Macedonia itself, there are some remnant Serbian or Yugoslav influences as a result of belonging to a common state for several decades, but that is not unlike other Balkan countries that have found themselves in other various spheres of influence.
                          How do Macedonians feel about the days of Yugoslavia and the decision of the former Macedonian leaders to secede from Yugoslavia?
                          There are some naive nostalgic types in all of the former Yugoslav republics, but that is the exception and not the norm. An independent Macedonia was always the main goal for our people, so naturally most feel happy about it.
                          .......in Bulgaria, only young people (most young people here are nationalists) and our politicians really think about Macedonia, and when they do, they are usually thinking of annexing it.
                          Every country has morons, some with more significant numbers than others.
                          I don't want that, personally, I just wish we could have friendly relations with Macedonia sort of like Serbia and Montenegro have close relations, or Germany and Austria.......
                          The relationship between Serbia and Montenegro is somewhere between that of Germany and Austria on the one hand, and Russia and Ukraine on the other (minus the armed conflict, of course). What you mention above will only happen when the chauvinistic element in Bulgarian society accepts reality and the existence of a distinct Macedonian ethno-linguistic entity, both within and outside of its borders. If that happens, then Macedonians will become friendlier.
                          .....I can think that we can all admit that we are related, given the extreme similarities between our languages..........
                          Few people would deny that, but when discussions take place regarding such commonalities, usually Bulgarian arrogance will soon follow. I am not implying that some members from the Macedonian side always present a perfect argument, but the inability of most Bulgarians to concede anything makes the path to any sort of agreement or consensus problematic.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

precisely you reach a dead end they all expect macedonia or whats left of it to give in .THey assume they are the weaker side.This is true to some extent but we shouldn't comply just because we are weaker.We should stick to ouer guns we should be stronger & don;t give in.WE should be more assertive.
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                            X