Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #171
Pelister

Pelister is on a distinguished road

I think I found an origin for the word "Shiptar".

I read that in the near Eastern languages of the ancient world the term "Sippar" meant 'bird'.

The term and its meaning has Eastern origins. I don't believe its a balkan word so its a bit off the topic.

Last edited by Pelister; 06-19-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Pelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #172
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelister View Post
I think I found an origin for the word "Shiptar".

I read that in the near Eastern languages of the ancient world the term "Sippar" meant 'bird'.

The term and its meaning has Eastern origins. I don't believe its a balkan word so its a bit off the topic.
A little .....but indirectly related nevetheless, as it retorts against an (more than likely) inaccurate assumption about many of the words in the modern Albanian language. So let's discuss...

Interesting post Pelister, after reading it, I did a little search. Check the below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sippar
Quote:
Sippar (Sumerian Zimbir "bird city", modern Tell Abu Habbah, Iraq), was an ancient Sumerian and later Babylonian city on the east bank of the Euphrates, some 60 km north of Babylon.
Shqipe (Eagle - in Albanian)
Shqiptar (People of the Eagle - in Albanian)
Sippar (Bird City - in Sumerian/Modern Iraq Location)

Needless to say, an eagle is a type of bird, hence there are some immediate links that can be established. I have often highlighted the similarity between some important Albanian words and how they correspond with Iranian words, the Sumerian language was arguably an Indo-European tongue and its closest relative is more than likely Iranian.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:30 AM   #173
Pelister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
A little .....but indirectly related nevetheless, as it retorts against an (more than likely) inaccurate assumption about many of the words in the modern Albanian language. So let's discuss...

Interesting post Pelister, after reading it, I did a little search. Check the below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sippar

Shqipe (Eagle - in Albanian)
Shqiptar (People of the Eagle - in Albanian)
Sippar (Bird City - in Sumerian/Modern Iraq Location)

Needless to say, an eagle is a type of bird, hence there are some immediate links that can be established. I have often highlighted the similarity between some important Albanian words and how they correspond with Iranian words, the Sumerian language was arguably an Indo-European tongue and its closest relative is more than likely Iranian.
Thanks SoM. I was thinking along the same lines too. I think its a pretty close connection. I suppose now we can get back to the thread.

This smilie of Osama rocks.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #174
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelister View Post
Thanks SoM. I was thinking along the same lines too. I think its a pretty close connection. I suppose now we can get back to the thread.

This smilie of Osama rocks.
No problem, I have quite a bit of information on the modern Albanians and their origins, a new thread is calling
Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #175
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

The word Karpa (meaning rock in Macedonian) is interesting. The Albanians are the only others that apparently use the word, although it doesn't appear on googletranslate at all, instead there is 'Gur' (meaning stone in Albanian). I will have to check the dictionaries and see if it is present.

The name of the Macedonian fighter from the 17th century, Karposh, comes from this word. Interesting to note also is the name of the Carpathian mountains, which apparently means the same thing. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Mountains
Quote:
The name 'Karpetes' may ultimately be from the Proto Indo-European root *sker-/*ker-, from which comes the Albanian word karpë (rock), and Czech word skála (rock, cliff). perhaps by Dacian cognate which meant 'mountain,' rock, or rugged (cf. Old Norse harfr "harrow", Middle Low German shcarf "potsherd", Lithuanian kar~pas "cut, hack, notch", Latvian cìrpt "to shear, clip"). Archaic Polish word karpa meant "rugged irregularities, underwater obstacles/rocks, rugged roots or trunks". The more common word skarpa is sharp cliff or other vertical terrain. Otherwise, the name may instead come from IE *kwerp "to turn", akin to Old English hweorfan "to turn, change" and Greek karpós "wrist", perhaps referring to the way the mountain range bends or veers in an L-shape.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #176
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea, but I think I know where my Scarpa hiking boots come from now though.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #177
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Are you aware of the word?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #178
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry mate ... just "kamen" for me ... but I am peasant stock.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #179
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

'Kamen' is definetly more common, I think the northern and north-east dialects use 'Karpa' more often.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #180
Pelister

Quote:
I am aware of it. According to Stoyan Privichevich, the word derives from Greek - meaning 'strong' or something like that. I don't have the reference with me right now.

It seems that it is used in other Slavic languages.

Look at these possible cognates

Skala (ladder, steep cliff, climb)
Korab (bare rocky mountain)