Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #101
El Bre

El Bre is on a distinguished road

My Dad, who is also from the Lerin area, uses jabolko (actually jaboko) and kukja, where as my Mom, who is from northern Kostur uses lapka and kushtcha.
El Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #102
Pelister

Pelister is on a distinguished road

El bre, are you a statichanec?

My family from that village use the words jaboko, and kukja too, but the word for fork is shtipka I think.
Pelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #103
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Shtipka is a peg in my dialect, like when you hang your clothes up.

Aren and Arno are used extensively by all people from Bitola, and I am sure among most other Macedonians. Jabolko or Jaboko (depending on the context and laziness, lol), Sega or Sea (depending on the context), Kukja only in my neck of the woods.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the Kostur dialect is one of the most interesting and archaic-sounding of all Macedonian dialects.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #104
El Bre

Shtipki seems to be used for anything that makes a pinching action, from clothespegs as SoM mentioned to tongs.

Yes Pelister, half of my family is from Statitsa. The word for fork is vilitchka.

Last edited by El Bre; 02-19-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #105
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

I say Vilushka for fork.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #106
Pelister

Pelister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
While we are at it (and since I claim Macedonian superiority being from Dolno Kotori ) ... how about "arno" or "aren". Who else uses it?
My grandmother uses, Arno and Aren.

Hey RTG, I remember you once saying you had a connection to Kotori. There is an old community of Macedonians in Western Sydney, from Kotori. They have a community centre there, I've been there a few times as I have relations in that part of the world.
Pelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #107
El Bre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
I say Vilushka for fork.
This thread has taken an interesting turn, the subtle and not so subtle variances in speach is something always intrigued me. In some places you could climb over a hill and find a whole new patois.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #108
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelister View Post
My grandmother uses, Arno and Aren.

Hey RTG, I remember you once saying you had a connection to Kotori. There is an old community of Macedonians in Western Sydney, from Kotori. They have a community centre there, I've been there a few times as I have relations in that part of the world.
Yeah, I have some relatives there I believe.
I know one Alex from there who is a distant cousin. I never got to go there when the Kotortsi had their village dances.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #109
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Here are some cutlery and kitchen items in my dialect:

Nozh (or Nozhitsi for scissors)
Vilushka (or Vilufche for a smaller one)
Laitsa (or laiche for a smaller one)
Paintsa (or Painche for a smaller one)
Tava (or Tavche for a smaller one)
Sukalo
Chasha
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #110
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

"Chi si ti" - Who else uses this?