X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aristotle
    • Jan 2011

Greek Copyright infringement

It is fashionable today for academicians and plebeians to speak of Greek “civilization” as if it was some monolithic expression of a monolithic state (country) Greece. But whether this is so and whether this could be established, is a matter altogether different—but what it does do is give us some pause of thought.

In examining these matters, we must first throw off the yoke of Western scholarship, Western bias, and Western humdrum oration. Let us take apart, piece by piece, the mythos surrounding the nonexistent ancient state of “Greece,” and let us reveal the truth of these matters.

So notwithstanding “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” and the father’s proclamation of “pick any word, and I will show it to be of Greek origin,” and “the Greeks invented pottery,” let us press ahead and document the errors of Western scholarship and Greek propaganda.

The ancient writer Tatian, writing over 1500 years ago, understood this all too well when he stated “Cease, then, to miscall these imitations inventions of your own.” So in other words, the Greeks steal, without admission or recognition, other cultures ideas as their own. If they do this for ideas, imagine what they might do with “persons”; wait, they already do that too!

The alphabet, itself composed of the Greek letter alpha and beta, originated with the Phoenicians.

Astronomy (Greek word) originated with the Babylonians.

Geometry, another Greek word, originated with the Egyptians.

Imagine if English and other European countries used the original words for alphabet, astronomy, geometry, and so forth, they wouldn't sound so Greek! But when you Hellenize the name, they become Greek!
  • Makedonetz
    • Apr 2010

WOW didnt know greece invented the universe aswell!

or should i say universopolos....my goodness what was i thinking opps!
    Last edited by Makedonetz; 01-12-2011, 02:28 PM.
    Makedoncite se borat
    za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
    - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Good point Aristotle.
      The real issue is that it is simply too difficult to teach young minds all of the complexity of the origins of civilisation. And most teachers are too dumb to deliver a truly meaningful message. Ultimately, it is convenient to talk about ancient Greeks. Who wants to know their barbaric slaves often knew more than their masters or where they learned their mathematics from etc.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Here are some more things the (ancient) Hellenes didn't invent, according to Herodotus himself:

A great variety of arts, including writing:
        Now the Phoenicians who came with Cadmus, and to whom the Gephyraei belonged, introduced into Hellas upon their arrival a great variety of arts, among the rest that of writing -- Book 5, 58.
        The ancient religion of 12 Gods:
        The Egyptians they went on to affirm, first brought into use the name of the twelve gods, which the Hellenes adopted from them -- Book 2, 4.
        What would ancient Hellenic culture be without their Afro-Asiatic influences? One can only wonder.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Napoleon
          • Dec 2008

The problem with ancient European history is that in the last 250 so years western European scholars have divide Europe into two spheres of influence, the Roman latin west, and the Greek east. This definition is very misleading as any non-Greek nation or people residing in the east are automatically identified as being 'Greek'.

Comment

• Akzion
            Banned
            • Nov 2010

Aristotle,
            I don’t get you. Most sciences have indeed international names of Greek origin, but not all. Some have names of Latin origins or even Arabic ones (e.g. Algebra). In Greece, we DO use the Arabic term (Algebra), but we usually have Greek terms for sciences with Latin names (e.g. Logismos instead of Calculus, Koinoniologia instead of Sociology, etc). What names do you use in Macedonian?
            In this case “Greek civilization” refers to scientific essays in Greek, which usually set the bases in many sciences. Your posts are… not compatible with your username.

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

The greeks were very good colonisers & appropriating knowledge to themselves & calling it their own.Even the expression "Eureka"i have found it is not an original greek word it is actually Macedonian http://translate.google.com/#en |el|To%20find
              I suppose we should immagine the things here?
              For Macedonian it's reality in words:
              EUREKA-EVREKA, E-Vo-REKA - It's inside the river
              E ---- is, it is.
              http://www.onlinedictionary.com/English-Maced...
              U-V, Vo - In, inside.
              http://www.onlinedictionary.com/English-Maced...
              REKA ----- river
              http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/Mac...
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Akzion
                Banned
                • Nov 2010

Stop improvising! You'll make me jump in the river! Open a book. Use google.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

George, your assertion is unsubstantiated and holds no water.
                  Originally posted by Akzion
                  What names do you use in Macedonian?
                  Macedonians use the international names coined by westerners, who used dead languages (Latin/anc. Greek) as a basis for forming these scientific terms. How many of these scientific terms were coined by actual Greeks, as opposed to westerners using anc. Greek?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Akzion
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    How many of these scientific terms were coined by actual Greeks, as opposed to westerners using anc. Greek?
                    Not easy to say. There are many basic sciences and dozens of branches. For instance, while the first work in Geology is by Theophrastos of Eresos, Lesbos, the term Geology (based on Greek words) was introduced by a Frenchman in 18th Century.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

I think it would be safe to say that the majority of today's scientific terms were coined by westerners, and not by ancient (or modern) Greeks. Do you agree with that?

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

I have actually used extract from google.I don't need to substantiate eureka it's all over the place it's not a greek word.The same as the word cosmos,the same as history word it's macedonian.THe reason i'm saying it is give credit where credit is due it can't be all greek.Lets agree to disagree.I have my reason to say on the surface people like Akzion would like you to beleive that words that seem to be greek are on further study proven to be macedonian & the greeks go on as if it is greek.Remember the greek alphabet is phonecian & the greeks copied a lot of terms & words from the egyptians.It's a fact most of the so called greek words came into being after the creation of the modern Greek state.I agree with S.O.M it's the actual westerners using the words rather than anything ancient.
                        Last edited by George S.; 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM. Reason: edit
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Aristotle
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Akzion View Post
                          Aristotle,
                          I don’t get you. Most sciences have indeed international names of Greek origin, but not all. Some have names of Latin origins or even Arabic ones (e.g. Algebra). In Greece, we DO use the Arabic term (Algebra), but we usually have Greek terms for sciences with Latin names (e.g. Logismos instead of Calculus, Koinoniologia instead of Sociology, etc). What names do you use in Macedonian?
                          In this case “Greek civilization” refers to scientific essays in Greek, which usually set the bases in many sciences. Your posts are… not compatible with your username.
                          I don't get you; nor do I understand your post. How are my posts not compatible with my username?

I merely pointed out that Westerners, especially the English, have built up their language using principally Greek (and Latin) words and phrases. Geometry, for example, is "Greek," and implies that it originated in Greece, when in fact, it did not, but was stolen by ancient Greeks without credit.

The Greek "Hippocrates," considered the "father of medicine," was merely an inheritor of a system of medicine that "originated," was "codified," or "practiced" in a far purer form and in a far more intelligent manner by more ancient peoples to the East and south of the city states and islands.

But the West, unwilling to acknowledge this, have given credit to the Greeks.

The doctrines of Pythagoras, and the subsequent Pythagoreans, in regard to reincarnation, were in fact brought to "Hellas," from the East and the south; Athena was a foreign god of north Africa/middle east pedigree; your laws, as expressed by Solon, were brought from Egypt.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

I rest my case i have been saying that there is no such thing as greek this or that whenone looks at what supposes to be greek one finds something else that goes for words,names,gods,ideas,etc.As i have said the greeks were very good copy cats of other countries things & they were good colonisers & they ended up appropriating things as if they were their own.Also people should know a lot of the so called greek texts were actually written hundreds of years after the event which means there's a lot of innaccuracies.
                            Last edited by George S.; 01-18-2011, 11:39 PM. Reason: ed
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                            X