Clear All
  • sydney
    • Sep 2008

Why let facts get in the way of a good Greek story

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      Furthermore, while his father DID have a strong Greek conscience........
      Such was the "strong Greek conscience" of the father that most of the daughters chose to marry Nazis instead. I guess it kind of makes sense given the immense contribution of the Germans concerning the creation of modern Greece. I suppose his inbred Germanic kinsmen that were monarchs in Sofia also had a strong (Bulgar) conscience. It was so strong in both cases that none of them ever bothered taking a native wife from their adoptive countries to solidify the bond between master and subject or ensure their progeny could claim a legitimate ancestral connection to their respective populations.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Carlin
        • Dec 2011

Rita Wilson thought that Prince Philip had Greek ancestry and identity lol:

American actress Rita Wilson, who has Greek ancestry, on American television network TBS, that when she met Prince Philip, she told him in small-talk conversation “We have something in common! We’re both Greek!”, to which Philip replied “Oh, sorry for you.”

Answer (1 of 11): Philip isn't Greek. He was born to the “Greek Royal Family” which was from Denmark, but like most European royal and imperial houses are mostly German. He left Greece as a child was brought up by his “Uncle Dickie” Mountbatten to be thoroughly English (though he was regarded as ...

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          Such was the "strong Greek conscience" of the father that most of the daughters chose to marry Nazis instead. I guess it kind of makes sense given the immense contribution of the Germans concerning the creation of modern Greece. I suppose his inbred Germanic kinsmen that were monarchs in Sofia also had a strong (Bulgar) conscience. It was so strong in both cases that none of them ever bothered taking a native wife from their adoptive countries to solidify the bond between master and subject or ensure their progeny could claim a legitimate ancestral connection to their respective populations.
          Actually, this IS interesting, but you won't easily find someone who really cares. A Greek royalist might bother to explain it, support Andrew or take a look at his life and actions, or the royal morals and political views of 1920-1930-1940s.

In short,
          - there are not many morganatic marriages in the Royal houses
          - daughters don't really matter, they're probably trained to adopt the national conscience of the country they'll get married to, I'm not sure, who cares
          - all four daughters of Andrew had more or less the same fate as Philip, they grew abroad, fatherless and motherless under unclear influences
          - their personalities and views (if they had any) are also not well known or easy to find, it seems very interesting but nobody cares

==
          Last edited by Amphipolis; 04-20-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
            Actually, this IS interesting, but you won't easily find someone who really cares. A Greek royalist might bother to explain it......
            A Greek royalist is the same as a Bulgar royalist - basically a Balkan peasant that liked the idea of being on a Germanic leash. Some may find that interesting, I myself find it momentarily amusing, thus falling within the "who really cares, nobody cares" camp.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
            X