X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Killing the Albanian myth of Migjeni

Here's an obvious Albanian written wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millosh_Gjergj_Nikolla

Millosh Gjergj Nikolla (13 October 1911 - 26 August 1938) was an Albanian poet and writer. He is better known under his pen name Migjeni.

He was born in Shkodėr, Albania, then Ottoman Empire in 1911. His father, Gjergj Nikolla (1872–1924), came from an Orthodox family and owned a bar in Shkodėr. As a boy, he attended a Serbian Orthodox elementary school in Shkodėr and from 1923 to 1925 a secondary school in Bar (Tivar) on the Montenegrin coast, where his eldest sister, Lenka, had moved.

His last name originated from his grandfather Nikolla Dibrani who hailed from the region of Reka (present day Republic of Macedonia) and was a member of the tiny Albanian Orthodox community in the region (the same community that gave birth to another Albanian poet, Josif Jovan Begeri). He left the region during the late 19th century and moved to Shkodra where he practiced the trade of a bricklayer and later married Stake Milani, from Kuči, Montenegro. Before he died in 1876, he had two sons. Gjergji (or Gjoka) Millosh's father and Kristo[1]
    Now here's the truth on the Macedonian pen-named Migjeni;

There are a few Macedonians who have made an impact on Albanian literature. Migjeni is one of them. But his father made an impact on their Orthodox church according to the wiki article;

Gjergj Nikolla (Millosh's father) was a very respected member of the community. Notably he was chosen among the orthodox community of the city to represent Shkodėr in the Berat Congress in 1922 (where the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania was proclaimed independent by Fan Noli).[2]
    The funniest part is that this wiki article uses the Robert Elsie source I just destroyed their myth with -
    Notes
    From the version [1] this article includes the text from the site Albanian Literature with explicit permission to use it under GNU FDL.
    Albanian literature: a short history, Robert Elsie, Centre for Albanian Studies (London, England), page 136.
    No better than their cousins in Athens
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

This was a good find TM, well done.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
      • Jan 2009

I think its safe to say that "albanians" with names such as Jovan, Nikola, Vladamir, Jelena etc are all macedonians once upon a time.

I was reading Rebbeca Wests book "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon", and in her travels in the debar region she witnessed many "slavs" in the area started speaking albanian and thinking they were albanian, mainly because their religous leaders spoke albanian.....

I would assume the situation of albanicization in the albanian lands would be much more easily done because of the lack of education amongst the peasants.

Anyway, i dont care much about Mother Theressa but considering her fathers name was Nikola and her Uncle Jovan, i think it would be safe to assume that her familiy were not always albanian.....

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

your so right bb sven deep down even though they think they are albanians they have macedonian roots.It's a proven fact they cannot hide it.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I think the Albanians get away with some of their myths because most don't really care about what they have to say. When observations like the above from TM come up, it helps to dispel assumptions many make about Albanians and their version of their history.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

a very interesting find & well done of exposing the albanian myth.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
            X