X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VMRO
    • Sep 2008

Judge blocks 14-year-old girl's arranged marriage

A 14-YEAR-old girl has been banned from leaving Australia and has had to surrender her passport to save her from an arranged marriage.

Just days before the girl's father planned to whisk her overseas to marry a man she has never met, the Family Court ordered she must stay.

The Melbourne teenager is one of a number of Australian girls forced into arranged marriages overseas each year.

Her plight came to light when child protection officers received a report in June that the then-13-year-old had been taken out of school ahead of her intended marriage.

In a landmark decision published on Monday, the Family Court barred the girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, from travelling abroad until she turns 18.

Federal Police were ordered to place the girl's name alongside the names of accused serious criminals and tax cheats on the official Watch List at departure points around the nation.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Her family, who are believed to be Muslims from the former Yugolsav Republic of Macedonia, has had to surrender the girl's passport and cannot apply for a new one.

According to court documents, the girl had been interviewed by two child protection workers at her home while her parents were at work.

One of the officers said the girl told them she had been engaged for a month to a 17-year-old boy from another country but did not know what she felt about marrying him because she had never met him and had only ever seen a photograph of him.

The officer said he formed the opinion the girl had not considered the prospect of having sex with her new husband or the possibility of being abused.

He said the girl indicated she had not discussed her feelings with her parents and did not know her mother's opinion of the marriage.

"It is my belief that it would not be in [the child's] best interests to travel . . . to be married as she is a child and she does not appear to understand the consequences of marriage," the officer's affidavit concluded.

"Furthermore she would be deprived of a school education and she may be at risk of sexual exploitation and emotional harm."

Islamic Council of Victoria vice-president Sherene Hassan said arranged child marriages were a perverse practice not mandated by Islam.

"According to Islamic law a woman must give her consent to marriage without any form of collusion," she said yesterday.

"Sadly there are some Muslims that fail to discern [the difference] between culture and religion."
    Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.
  • Prolet
    • Sep 2009

There was something on the news about a guy with a Macedonian name, Steve Toshevski or Tasevski i couldnt pick it up from Altona Meadows it had something to do with the Lebanese gangs.

Why didnt they say where this girl is from? people will think its us Macedonians who do this.
    МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Bij
      • Oct 2009

Her family is from Macedonia, they just happen to be Albanian. Lol this seems to happen a lot, I've met kids flying from Skopje to Melbourne about this age who have been married off

Comment

• Venom
        • Sep 2008

Albanian fucking gronks. As usual, tainting the good name of Macedonia with their primitive bullshit.
        S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Hard to disagree Venom.
          Even though I am not sure what a gronk is.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• fyrOM
            Banned
            • Feb 2010

Didn’t you just luv the way the reporters voice level went up slightly each time she said FYR of Macedonia on the ch 9 Today Show. Gotta let everyone know its those Macedonians doing weird stuff.

Comment

• DirtyCodingHabitz
              • Sep 2010

I think this happened before with an Albanian family from Makedonija.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

No other minority in Macedonia disgraces the country like these (unfortunately large) segments of ethnic Albanians.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• DirtyCodingHabitz
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                  No other minority in Macedonia disgraces the country like these (unfortunately large) segments of ethnic Albanians.
                  You got that right. Were just lucky that we don't have any greeks or we'd be having serious of problems.

Comment

• Buktop
                    • Oct 2009

They could be Romi or Torbeshi as well. I also know Turks from Ohrid who still practice arranged marriage.
                    "I'm happy to answer any question and I don't hide from that"

Never once say you walk upon your final way
                    though skies of steel obscure the blue of day.
                    Our long awaited hour will draw near
                    and our footsteps will thunder - We are Here!

Comment

• Bij
                      • Oct 2009

How many Macedonian Australian Turks torbeshi do you know of?

Comment

• Buktop
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Bij View Post
                        I have no clue, I don't live in Australia, but I doubt that none exist.
                        "I'm happy to answer any question and I don't hide from that"

Never once say you walk upon your final way
                        though skies of steel obscure the blue of day.
                        Our long awaited hour will draw near
                        and our footsteps will thunder - We are Here!

Comment

• Prolet
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bij View Post
                          Bij, There is heaps of them in Melbourne, they usually hang around with Macedonians too. Turks,Albanians,Romi and Torbeshi you can find them at the Preston Market for starters, there is a Cafe owned by Albanians from Prespa opposite the Kebap shop.
                          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• XRVOL
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                            There was something on the news about a guy with a Macedonian name, Steve Toshevski or Tasevski i couldnt pick it up from Altona Meadows it had something to do with the Lebanese gangs.

Why didnt they say where this girl is from? people will think its us Macedonians who do this.
                            Steve Mitrevski. He was my cousins brother in law.

Wasn't part of the Lebanese war.

Comment

• Bratot
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
                              They could be Romi or Torbeshi as well. I also know Turks from Ohrid who still practice arranged marriage.
                              From hookers in Amsterdam to Turkish marriage arrangers from Ohrid, Buktop is the guy, call 0500 800 040.

Anyway, look at all those internet services for "dating" and "marriage offers" especially with brides from former SSSR.

The Albanians are not internet fans, they prefer the old fashioned way
                              The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

Working...
                              X