Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

I live less than an hour from NYC the situation there is deteriorating rapidly. As I've said from the beginning, people are not taking this seriously. Unless your workplace has shut down voluntarily, or you work for something like a bar or gym, you are most likely going to work. People are still out and about, shopping, socializing, out at parks.

The New York metro area is almost 22 million people, this encompasses a driving area of a couple hours The population density here is so great, there are so many people, that the only option is extreme lock down. Otherwise you will always have way more social contact than is acceptable.

To top that off, younger and younger people are among the dead. I no longer believe the that only the old and very ill are among the dead. In New Jersey of the 16 deaths so far, something like half have been under 60. Its very possible the virus has mutated since it started in China.

I shut up shop last week and are staying home until things get better. Simple as that. People need to get their heads out of their arse's and think beyond their petty materialistic existence. You could spread the virus to a loved one and kill them, and need to live with that the rest of your life.

Another scary fact. Out of 300,000 cases world wide, 13,000 deaths, 90,000 recoveries, what the hell about the other 200,000? I have read that people who have gotten a bad case of the virus and survive end up with long term respiratory damage.

Comment

• tchaiku
      • Nov 2016

651 new deaths, 5560 new cases it's decreasing in Italy.

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
        651 new deaths, 5560 new cases it's decreasing in Italy.
        I would want at least 5 days of numbers to determine that. Even then the question becomes when is it safe to go back to normal without having the virus spread again.

Comment

• Carlin
          • Dec 2011

Let's see how it unfolds over the next week but 651 new deaths and 5560 new cases doesn't sound good. These numbers might represent the official cases, and not true/all cases. For example, according to this euronews report (it's in Spanish), there are many people in Bergamo who are dying in their houses or retirement residences. The true number of cases is estimated to be five times or ten times greater than the official, reported numbers.

Euronews video:

- Sen. Rand Paul has coronavirus
          - Opera singer Placido Domingo tests positive for coronavirus
          - German Chancellor Angela Merkel is going into home quarantine immediately, after a doctor who gave her a vaccination on Friday has tested positive for coronavirus, Merkel's spokesman Steffen Seibert announced in a press statement on Sunday.

Last edited by Carlin; 03-22-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Carlin
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
            I live less than an hour from NYC the situation there is deteriorating rapidly. As I've said from the beginning, people are not taking this seriously. Unless your workplace has shut down voluntarily, or you work for something like a bar or gym, you are most likely going to work. People are still out and about, shopping, socializing, out at parks.

The New York metro area is almost 22 million people, this encompasses a driving area of a couple hours The population density here is so great, there are so many people, that the only option is extreme lock down. Otherwise you will always have way more social contact than is acceptable.

To top that off, younger and younger people are among the dead. I no longer believe the that only the old and very ill are among the dead. In New Jersey of the 16 deaths so far, something like half have been under 60. Its very possible the virus has mutated since it started in China.

I shut up shop last week and are staying home until things get better. Simple as that. People need to get their heads out of their arse's and think beyond their petty materialistic existence. You could spread the virus to a loved one and kill them, and need to live with that the rest of your life.

Another scary fact. Out of 300,000 cases world wide, 13,000 deaths, 90,000 recoveries, what the hell about the other 200,000? I have read that people who have gotten a bad case of the virus and survive end up with long term respiratory damage.
            It seems so easy in hindsight, but U.S. should have closed airports about the same time China started panic building that new hospital.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

The only thing Trump did right about this was to call it the China Virus. Aside from that, USA is about to implode due to the way it hates its own people.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• tchaiku
                • Nov 2016

Deaths vs. Infections

01 - 5,476 - 59,138 - 9,26% - Italy

02 - 3,270 - 81,093 - 4,03% - China

03 - 1,813 - 29,909 - 6,06% - Spain

04 - 1,685 - 21,638 - 7,79% - Iran

05 - 674 - 16,018 - 4,21% - France

06 - 458 - 35,070 - 1,31% - USA

07 - 281 - 5,683 - 4,94% - UK

08 - 179 - 4,204 - 4,26% - Netherlands

09 - 111 - 8,961 - 1,24% - South Korea

10 - 106 - 26,159 - 0,41% - Germany

--

11 - 100 - 7,776 - 1,29% - Switzerland

12 - 75 - 3,401 - 2,21% - Belgium

13 - 49 - 579 - 8,46% - Indonesia

14 - 41 - 1,101 - 3,72% - Japan

15 - 33 - 462 - 8,57% - Phillippines

16 - 30 - 1,236 - 2,43% - Turkey

17 - 25 - 1,604 - 1,56% - Brazil

18 - 24 - 1,934 - 1,24% - Sweden

19 - 20 - 1,470 - 1,36% - Canada

20 - 20 - 233 - 8,58% - Iraq

--

21 - 20 - 175 - 11,43% - San Marino

Comment

• Carlin
                  • Dec 2011

Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down

URL:
                  As the sudden surge in cases in Hong Kong shows, quarantines and social distancing must continue well beyond the initial wave of cases, if another round of infections is to be avoided.

Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak.

That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing.

Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America.

Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them.

Comment

• tchaiku
                    • Nov 2016

4789 new cases and 601 new deaths in Italy it's still decreasing. Hopefully it will continue to decrease.
                    Last edited by tchaiku; 03-23-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Gocka
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                      4789 new cases and 601 new deaths in Italy it's still decreasing. Hopefully it will continue to decrease.
                      Good news, hopefully it continues on a downward trend. But the post above yours shows the risk of jumping the gun and returning to normal too soon.

Comment

• Carlin
                        • Dec 2011

Toronto declares state of emergency

Comment

• Gocka
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by nushevski77
                          https://youtu.be/jh1T4c3wP8I
                          This Dr links the corona virus to the 5G telecommunications radiation, it was an interesting video, but I don't know how credible it is.
                          If he was so credible he wouldn't be talking bullshit on youtube. Common sense brings you a long way in life.

Comment

• Carlin
                            • Dec 2011

A cruise ship with 42 sick people is headed for Florida

From CNN

Holland America’s Zaandam ship headed toward Florida is carrying 42 people — 13 guests and 29 crew — reporting flu-like symptoms.

“Since it is flu season, and COVID-19 testing is not available on board, it is difficult to determine the cause of these elevated cases at this time,” according to a statement from the cruise line's website.

The guests have been asked by the cruise line to remain in their staterooms until they have more information and as the ship sails north with the intention to arrive in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on March 30.

Zaandam departed Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7, prior to Holland America’s decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days. The trip was scheduled to end in San Antonio, Chile, on March 21.

According to the statement, no one has been off the ship since March 14 after a stop in Puenta Arena, Chile, where guests were initially told they could disembark for flights, but then were not allowed.

There are a total of 1,243 guests and 586 crew on board the ship.

A fresh seedling six pack of coronas for everyone! Cheers!
                            Last edited by Carlin; 03-23-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Carlin
                              • Dec 2011

Italy COVID-19 death toll rises by 743 in last day. This is an increase from Monday.

At least 6,820 people have died in Italy so far.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

I suspect USA will have more confirmed cases than China within the week. I doubt the Chinese statistics anyway. But when the USA becomes the highest, Tump's CHYNA virus will melt that stupid smile off his face.

This morning he is saying it will be fixed by Easter. I am astounded by the delusion.
                                Risto the Great
                                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                                X