Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Whoever just watched the UFC 266 main event between Alexander Volkanovski and Brian Ortega, what a fucking fight!!! Absolute gladiators. AND STILL - Alexander "the Great" Volkanovski. He earned his respect today.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Alex introducing Macedonian vocabulary to the world during the post-fight press conference. In response to a question by a reporter, who asked if he gets on the alcohol by starting a drink from a flip-flop, Alex responds by saying he calls them "vlechki, that's the Macedonian way of calling it", lol.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Karposh
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        Alex introducing Macedonian vocabulary to the world during the post-fight press conference. In response to a question by a reporter, who asked if he gets on the alcohol by starting a drink from a flip-flop, Alex responds by saying he calls them "vlechki, that's the Macedonian way of calling it", lol.
        Too funny. I get the feeling he is conscious of his image and would obviously like to appeal to the broader Australian community but even he can't suppress the Macedonian in him that's just bursting to get out. I don't expect him to drape himself in the Macedonian flag after each fight but I'll take the "vlechki" all the same. LOL.

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
          • Jul 2012

Well done to Volko on the result yesterday, what a fight and true champion!

You have to like the guy, not only as a fighter but as a person too. He has a great story and attitude.

I enjoyed watching this recent video posted by the UFC about his upbringing and road to becoming Champion.
          UFC Featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski details how a career in Rugby League paved the way for his transition into MMA.Subscribe to get all the late...

Also this is a gem of him cooking some Macedonian-style chicken wings at home, pretty cool!
          #CookingWithVolk #AlexVolkanovski #ChickenWingsOn this weeks episode we're back on the BBQ cooking up some Macedonian style dishes, with some great recipes p...

Great to see him reach his dreams, I remember keeping an eye on him before he got to the UFC and always wished he would achieve his potential. Look at him now!

Another Macedonian fighter to look out for is Swiss-born Daniel Stefanovski. I also believe Alen Ahmedovski is currently in the UFC too, believe he was meant to fight a couple of months ago but his fight was cancelled.

Best of luck to them all.
          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Karposh
            • Aug 2015

I really have to try his recipe for "Picheni" Peprki one of these days. His broken Macedonian is funnier than my 12 year old's nephew. What a classic.

Comment

• Karposh
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
              I really have to try his recipe for "Picheni" Peprki one of these days. His broken Macedonian is funnier than my 12 year old's nephew. What a classic.
              LOL. Almost as bad as my broken English. Make that "is funnier than my 12 year old nephew's".

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                • Jul 2012

Haha tell me about it!

Some of these first generation Macedonian Australians absolutely butcher speaking Macedonian! But I respect the ones that at least try.

There is no way you are going to speak a language as fluently as possible if you don't at least try to speak it as much as possible.

I have been spoilt to have grown up in a household where it was spoken daily, so others have told me I sound very natural when I speak. My first cousins on the other hand grew up barely speaking it and they struggled especially with returning (understanding was ok). It's not until the last 10 years they have gotten much better at speaking it, importantly they seem much more interested in it these days.

On that note, it seems like more and more younger Macedonian Australians are gaining more of an interest and connection with Macedonia, Macedonian culture, sense of Macedonian community e.t.c.

Does it have anything to do with the increase in sporting success for Macedonia and Macedonians the last 10 years?

From following Volkanovski, to packing out halls and clubhouses when Macedonia reached the Euros, it seems like there is a rejuvenated interest amongst the youth compared to when I was in school not that long ago.

We also had the 4th place in Eurobasket 2011, Georgievski winning silver at the Olympics this year, Vardar twice winning the Handball Champions League and FK Vardar making the group stages of the Europa League.

One of the above mentioned cousins couldn't care less about Macedonia when we were younger and probably would have preferred to be something 'cooler'. Now he is the first be getting up to watch Macedonia play football and celebrating the silver at the Olympics, he has even joined me at the local Macedonian football club.

Perhaps the pride was always there under the surface? Just waiting for some success or something noteworthy to attach itself to.

I would trade all the sporting success away any day for a stable and strong Macedonia, which is much more important! But that at least is one positive thing from the last 10 years that I have noticed.
                Last edited by Momce Makedonce; 09-29-2021, 08:50 AM.
                "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Spirit
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
                  Haha tell me about it!

Some of these first generation Macedonian Australians absolutely butcher speaking Macedonian! But I respect the ones that at least try.

There is no way you are going to speak a language as fluently as possible if you don't at least try to speak it as much as possible.

I have been spoilt to have grown up in a household where it was spoken daily, so others have told me I sound very natural when I speak. My first cousins on the other hand grew up barely speaking it and they struggled especially with returning (understanding was ok). It's not until the last 10 years they have gotten much better at speaking it, importantly they seem much more interested in it these days.

On that note, it seems like more and more younger Macedonian Australians are gaining more of an interest and connection with Macedonia, Macedonian culture, sense of Macedonian community e.t.c.

Does it have anything to do with the increase in sporting success for Macedonia and Macedonians the last 10 years?

From following Volkanovski, to packing out halls and clubhouses when Macedonia reached the Euros, it seems like there is a rejuvenated interest amongst the youth compared to when I was in school not that long ago.

We also had the 4th place in Eurobasket 2011, Georgievski winning silver at the Olympics this year, Vardar twice winning the Handball Champions League and FK Vardar making the group stages of the Europa League.

One of the above mentioned cousins couldn't care less about Macedonia when we were younger and probably would have preferred to be something 'cooler'. Now he is the first be getting up to watch Macedonia play football and celebrating the silver at the Olympics, he has even joined me at the local Macedonian football club.

Perhaps the pride was always there under the surface? Just waiting for some success or something noteworthy to attach itself to.

I would trade all the sporting success away any day for a stable and strong Macedonia, which is much more important! But that at least is one positive thing from the last 10 years that I have noticed.
                  Funny thing about the first generation Macedonian Australians and butchering the Macedonian language that you mentioned Momche. Let me flip that and mention about how Macedonians in Macedonia are butchering the Macedonian language by Anglicizing it over there. I noticed it when I went back in 2012, have spoken of my experiences of it in other threads here

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                    Funny thing about the first generation Macedonian Australians and butchering the Macedonian language that you mentioned Momche. Let me flip that and mention about how Macedonians in Macedonia are butchering the Macedonian language by Anglicizing it over there. I noticed it when I went back in 2012, have spoken of my experiences of it in other threads here
                    Very true Spirit, in regard to the Anglicizing of the language.

Even in Macedonian music (more modern pop or rap songs) I see this happen. Traditional folk music still preserves proper vocabulary which I admire.

I think it makes some Macedonians feel cool to use English words. I guess for some English words there is no way of saying it in Macedonian so it would make sense to use the English word, but it seems they are replacing Macedonian words with English ones for no reason.

I don't think it only happens in Macedonia, most of the world has become very Westernised culturally, especially in this day and age where everything is available to easily consume online in the form of music and movies e.t.c.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Here's an interview by three Italian-Australian guys with Alexander Volkanovski regarding his heritage. Watch between the 8 minute to 10 minute mark. Pretty funny. All fair enough.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

https://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/zom...c068b64309d55d

Volkanovski secured his 11th straight win since entering the UFC with a staggeringly-dominant fourth round stoppage of Chan Sung Jung inside the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena. In a reminder to anyone who needed reminding, Volkanovski carved out three-and-a-bit rounds of absolute perfection before ‘The Korean Zombie’ was finally put out of his misery.
                        Another great win for the champ and his most dominant performance thus far. Very hard to see anybody capable of defeating him in his division. It would be good if he moves up to lightweight after another win or two and seek a new challenge.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

I must admit, I don't recall having seen him fight before. I like how clean he hits and that he doesn't drop down into a homoerotic wrestling move at every opportunity. A powerhouse!
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                            I must admit, I don't recall having seen him fight before. I like how clean he hits and that he doesn't drop down into a homoerotic wrestling move at every opportunity. A powerhouse!
                            You sure have a way with words Risto. Completely agree though. Volk definitely prefers to slug it out on his feet rather than rolling around on the floor, Greco-Roman style. He won a lot of people over with that performance the other day as well as shutting up a lot of his doubters. The fight should have probably been called in the third and what many are still talking about is how admirable Volk was by asking the Korean guy if he's sure about copping more punishment by continuing with another round. This shows compassion for his foe and earned him a lot of respect. The Korean guy wasn't even the contest. He was basically a punching bag.

Comment

• Karposh
                              • Aug 2015

There was a few dumb ass comments on YouTube from Macedonians bitching about the fact that Volk has yet to come out draped in the Macedonian flag. I didn't want to waste my time with many of them but I did take issue with one guy who spewed out profanities for the same reason in Macedonian. I replied back in Macedonian that although many of us would like to see him draped in the Macedonian flag, that's not likely to happen for a number of reasons. His mum is Greek, his wife is Australian, his kids are essentially Australian and he, himself, is basically as bogan Aussie as they get (albeit a very bogan wog). I doubt very much that he can even string a single comprehensible sentence in Macedonian. Nevertheless, as I explained to this idiot, Alex is a proud Macedonian and never misses the opportunity to declare his Macedonian heritage any chance he gets.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

There was a few dumb ass comments on YouTube from Macedonians bitching about the fact that Volk has yet to come out draped in the Macedonian flag. I didn't want to waste my time with many of them but I did take issue with one guy who spewed out profanities for the same reason in Macedonian.
                                The ironic stupidity is that some of those dumb asses probably live in Macedonia, do nothing to resist the illegal name change (among other detrimental northadonist policies), pretend to be patriots whilst draped in a treasonous ventilator flag and defend the position of about half the players in the starting lineup of the national football team who care little for the country and refuse to sing the anthem. They're in no position to pass judgement on a guy who is not even born in Macedonia yet consistently declares his Macedonian heritage when the subject comes up. Alex may be apolitical because he wants to avoid controversy given his mother's ancestry, but at least he isn't ashamed of his father's Macedonian ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                                X