X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNikoWhiteIch
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    Your being silly now.Just as much material is available from the rom as the greeks.The finds in Macedonia show the ancient Macedonian language words as I said the sun god il and also the zets.The prehistoric alphabetand other Macedonian alphabets.
    Don't limit yourself with the greek finds.Dont assume there is nothing from our side because there is a lot.
    Ah yeah, the gods "Ile" and "Zets". Remind me again what this "Macedonian" alphabet was? The one wherein variations of the Greek letter Θθ (Theta) are interpreted as the letter Οο (O/Omega)? Or, and this is my favorite, where the Greek letter Ϝϝ (Digamma) is read as "Шш (Sh)"? Yeah, I guess we should all just listen to what Ilyov says because it totally makes sense to interpret inscriptions that are 4000+ years old using the modern Macedonian language.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

We are talking of prehistoric alphabets going into many thousands of years prior to yhe greeks arriving on the greek peninsula.Remember how the greek alphabet was adopted from the phonecian one about 800 BC.Where as the prehistoric ancient Macedonian alphabet was prehistoric.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
        • Oct 2014

The Macedonian word for brother?

Looking at the glossary of Macedonian words in epigraphy over at StateMaster.com I see an inscription that says "Bila Brateadou" and the notes attached to it say: Attic Phile, Doric Phila Prateadou or Phrateadou (Aigai ca. 350-300 BC). If Phrateadou comes from "Phrater/Phratir" then perhaps the Macedonian word really was "Brater". What do you guys make of this?

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by TheNikoWhiteIch View Post
          Looking at the glossary of Macedonian words in epigraphy over at StateMaster.com I see an inscription that says "Bila Brateadou" and the notes attached to it say: Attic Phile, Doric Phila Prateadou or Phrateadou (Aigai ca. 350-300 BC). If Phrateadou comes from "Phrater/Phratir" then perhaps the Macedonian word really was "Brater". What do you guys make of this?
          I couldn't find a picture of this inscription but according to this link (in Greek)

it must be a hard-to-read one. Hatzopoulos reads it as Billa Bratea (ΒΙΛΛΑΒΡΑΤΕΑ) or Billa Brateadou (ΒΙΛΛΑΒΡΑΤΕΑΔΟΥ) but Saatsoglou-Paliadeli reads it as Billara Tellou (ΒΙΛΛΑΡΑΤΕΛΛΟΥ). In both cases it sounds as a name.

You see in inscriptions, letters are capital, there are no spaces between words and a hardly seen Α,Λ,Δ is very similar.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
            I couldn't find a picture of this inscription but according to this link (in Greek)

it must be a hard-to-read one. Hatzopoulos reads it as Billa Bratea (ΒΙΛΛΑΒΡΑΤΕΑ) or Billa Brateadou (ΒΙΛΛΑΒΡΑΤΕΑΔΟΥ) but Saatsoglou-Paliadeli reads it as Billara Tellou (ΒΙΛΛΑΡΑΤΕΛΛΟΥ). In both cases it sounds as a name.

You see in inscriptions, letters are capital, there are no spaces between words and a hardly seen Α,Λ,Δ is very similar.
            Assuming that it's "Billa Brateadou", would the origin be linked to "brater"? Or does Phrateadou come from some other word?

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Assuming that it's "Billa Brateadou", would the origin be linked to "brater"? Or does Phrateadou come from some other word?
              In Ancient Greek phrater (φράτηρ) or phrator (in Dorian) means brother, member of the same group or brotherhood (phratria). It could practically mean brother, cousin or someone from the same tribe, village. Similar words are found in Latin and all Indo-European languages.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                • Oct 2014

In Ancient Greek phrater (φράτηρ) or phrator (in Dorian) means brother, member of the same group or brotherhood (phratria). It could practically mean brother, cousin or someone from the same tribe, village. Similar words are found in Latin and all Indo-European languages.
                Very well, but I was asking if "Phrateadou" comes from the word "phrater".

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Very well, but I was asking if "Phrateadou" comes from the word "phrater".
                  Brateadou is a name (Brateades in nominative case), so the etymology may indeed come from phrater (brother) or prater (=salesman) or prato (=to do, to act) or bratto (=to boil). Who knows?

The name Prateias has also been found in inscriptions (in Thessaly).

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                    • Oct 2014

Ancient Macedonian Deities

An interesting one-word inscription was discovered in the Βοττιαία (Bottiaia) region of Macedonia. (Later, this was called "Emathia"). The inscription bears the theonym "Ὄλγανος (Olganos)." Apparently, that Facebook page "Ancient Macedonian Language" had posted about this one not too long ago and their post has some interesting information:
                    The ancient Macedonian religion had many deities, some of which were only worshiped by individual Macedonian tribes. One of these was the river-god "Ϝόλγανος ('Volganos' since Greek did not have the letter "V")", worshiped in Imathia, Macedonia. According to Macedonian mythology, Ϝόλγανος was the son of Βέρης (Beres) and brother to Μίεζα (Mieza) and Βέροια (Beroea). This makes him the grandson of Μακεδών (Makedon), the mythological ancestor of the Macedonians. His name is related to the modern Macedonian "влага (vlaga)" meaning "moisture" and the Ukrainian "воло́га (voloha)" through the Proto-Slavic "вòлга (vòlga)."

Apparently, his name may have also been spelled as "Ϝόλγανος ('Wolganos')" according "Palaeolexicon.com"

Here's a link to the inscription: "http://epigraphy.packhum.org/text/151224?hs=106-117"

And the Wiki page with a picture of the bust of Olganos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olganos

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                      • Oct 2014

The Oleveni Inscription

The location of the discovery is in the region of Λυγκηστία (Lynkestia), in Oleveni, Macedonia near the church Sveta Ana and the ancient city Ἡράκλεια Λυγκηστίς (Heraclea Lyncestis). The tablet is a part of a pillar called Τρόπαιον (Tropayon). It was made after King Filip II’s battle against the Dardanians. Hatzopolous among others use it to date King Filip II’s ascension to the throne in the year 360 B.C.E. but some argue it was in 359 B.C.E.

The text, line - by - line is as follows:

Ουαι
                      αο πρες
                      μ νηνο
                      εταιανταυ
                      στενά πενακα
                      φοι ταῡτα εἰς τοὑς
                      οιτινι σαχρα η ανα
                      γράψαντες εἰς στή
                      λην ἀνάθετε ἐν τώι
                      ἐπιφανεστάτωι τόπωι
                      ἔτους ϝι Πανήμου
                      κατλεστών οί πα
                      ραταξάμενοι ἐπί
                      τοῡ βασιλέως Φιλίπ
                      που πρὀς Δαρδανείς
                      πανψις αντες
                      I am having some difficulty translating this and would appreciate it if someone who is fluent in Greek could provide a translation. I have attempted to translate a few lines here:

Ουαι – A curse or woe; or punishment
                      στενά πενακα – Narrow list? Narrow panel? Hatzopolous confirms στενά.
                      φοι ταῡτα εἰς τοὑς – “Do unto/against them” is a probable reading
                      ἐπιφανεστάτωι τόπωι – “Approaching the sites” is a probable reading.
                      ἔτους ϝι Πανήμου – “Year of (16?) with/in Panemos” is a probable reading.
                      παραταξάμενοι ἐπί τοῡ βασιλέως Φιλίππου πρὀς Δαρδανείς – “Draw up soldiers against King Filip towards/unto Dardania” is a probable reading.
                      Here's an image of the inscription: Oleveni.zip
                      Last edited by TheNikoWhiteIch; 02-21-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

This is it

You can see the year. You'll have to find the following publications for a full translation & analysis

Spomenik 98 (1941-1948) 21, 53 — ZAnt 20 (1970) 99-113 — SEG 45.764

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

And whatever you do, don't ask this woman.

Margerita Kitan Ivanovska guest @MAKEDONIUM - Macedonian Language - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7YbfkbeXE&list=UU2ADIRPQggzbPzj-y_1E-Lw&index=1&feature=plcp)

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

This is the second article (In French) or a later article by the same author (Fanoula Papazoglou)

A heretic view in Italian (suggesting this is about Philip V), Papazoglou is also close to that opinion.

I can't speak French or Italian but they were very easy to follow.

===
                            Last edited by Amphipolis; 02-22-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                              • Oct 2014

And whatever you do, don't ask this woman.

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...12&postcount=3
                              Funny enough, that was the first result I got when searching for more information. I think the best part was when she combined ϝι Πανή and read it as "shiba" (to rush/cause to move). Needless to say, I realized that she, along with many other of our "fine scholars," was full of shit

Anyway, thanks for the links!

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                                • Oct 2014

Months used in Macedonia

The purpose of this post will be to bring to light the different months that have been used in Macedonia and deriving from inscriptions.

Here's a link to those inscriptions: http://epigraphy.packhum.org/search?...E1%BD%B8%CF%82

Some of these months are well-known Macedonian months, albeit some are rare and certainly news to me. Here's what I found:

μηνὸς Δεσίου: menos Desiou (Month of Desios? News to me.)
                                μηνὸς Ἀπελλαίου: "" Apellaiou (Month of Apellaios)
                                μηνὸς Δείου: "" Deiou (Month of Deios? Dios/Dion? News to me.)
                                Δίου μηνὸς: "" Diou (Month of Dios)
                                Ὑπερβερεταίου μηνὸς: "" Hyperberetaiou (Month of Hyperberetaios)
                                μηνὸς Περιτίου: "" Peritiou (Month of Peritios)
                                μηνὸς Ἀρτεμισίου: "" Artemisiou (Month of Artemisios [Artemis])
                                μηνὸς Μαρτίου: "" Martiou (Month of March)
                                μηνὸς Ξανδικοῦ: "" Xandikou (Month of Xandikos [Xandos, god of Light])
                                μηνὸς Ἀπαιλλαίου Ἀπελλαίου: "" Apailaiou Apellaiou (Variation of Apellaios)
                                μηνὸς Δαισίου: "" Daisiou (Month of Daisios)
                                μηνὸς Αἰδοναίου: "" Aidonaiou (Month of Aidonaios)
                                μηνὸς Λῴου: "" Loou (Month of Loios)
                                μηνὸς Γορπιαίου: "" Gorpiaiou (Month of Gorpiaios)
                                μηνὸς Δύστρου: "" Dystrou (Month of Dystros)
                                μηνὸς Πανθεῶνος: "" Pantheonos (News to me)
                                μηνὸς Ἀθηναιῶνος: "" Athenaionos (News to me)
                                μηνὸς Πανήμου: "" Panemou (Month of Panemos)
                                μηνὸς Ἀφρο̣δισιῶνος: "" Afrodisionos (News to me)
                                μηνὸς κη Δεσίου Δαισίου: "" Desiou (Variation of Daisios?)
                                μηνὸς Ἰουλιου: "" Iouliou (Month of July? News to me.)
                                Σεπτεμβρίου μηνὸς: "" Septembriou (Month of September)
                                μηνὸς Ἐδνέου Αὐδναίου Ἐδονέου = Αἰδοναίου (Variations of Aidonaios? News to me.)
                                μηνὸς Ὀκτονβρίου: "" Oktonbriou ("" October)
                                μηνὸς Δεκεμβρίου: "" Dekembriou ("" December)

Comment

Working...
                                X