• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by TheNikoWhiteIch View Post
    If you include an inscription, I ask that you add the translation too for the sake of not making this thread too long. I see what looks like the month of Ὑπερβερεταῖος (Hyperberetaios) but cut off. And maybe the word for "praise, salute (χαῖρε)?".
    ἔτους δορʹ, Ὑπερβ-
    ταίου γʹ· Κετριζις Μεσ-
    τικένθου, εὐδαί-
    μων, χαῖρε· χαῖρε καὶ σὺ παροδῖτα· Μάντα γυνή.

I guess it is a tomb. It basically says:

Hyperb/teos 3rd, Year 174
    Hail to blissful Ketrizis (son of) Mestikenthos
    hail to you too, who is passing by
    Manta (his) wife

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
      There are subltle dufferences of which you are oblivious and I disagree with you that its just greek.Macedonian is different to your greek.
      I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never said that the ancient Macedonian language was Greek, I said that the inscriptions found in Macedonia are written in different Greek dialects with a few peculiarities. These are 2 different statements.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
        ἔτους δορʹ, Ὑπερβ-
        ταίου γʹ· Κετριζις Μεσ-
        τικένθου, εὐδαί-
        μων, χαῖρε· χαῖρε καὶ σὺ παροδῖτα· Μάντα γυνή.

I guess it is a tomb. It basically says:

Hyperb/teos 3rd, Year 174
        Hail to blissful Ketrizis (son of) Mestikenthos
        hail to you too, who is passing by
        Manta (his) wife
        Interesting. Whose tomb do you suppose it is? This guy Ketrizis?

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

I didn't mean you it was meant for someone else who thinks it was all greek.(jumping to conclusions).Who is counting.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
            • Oct 2014

I didn't mean you it was meant for someone else who thinks it was all greek.(jumping to conclusions).Who is counting.
            Jumping to conclusions about what exactly? The fact is the members here who know Greek are able to read the inscriptions. This is unrelated to what we believe about the ancient Macedonian language. Let's just avoid unnecessary arguments and focus on the topic of this thread.

Comment

• Nikolaj
              • Aug 2014

George don't be fooled to why the Greeks members can read these inscriptions, nothing a Katharevousa can't fix

Niko you're doing a great job focusing on specifics, I really wish we could have more of this.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
                George don't be fooled to why the Greeks members can read these inscriptions, nothing a Katharevousa can't fix

Niko you're doing a great job focusing on specifics, I really wish we could have more of this.
                Fala brat! I'm just trying to stay on topic. We all know how arguments about the ancient Macedonian language would go, so I'm trying to avoid that here and stick to just the inscriptions. I'll post some in Slavic (Old Macedonian) eventually so stay tuned!

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

Have you seen what the real people have studied about the ancient macedonian language.Its not greek its a stand alone macedonian language.A distinct language.You can't say they just spoke greek only?If you do that's a lie.I didn't say YOU are jumping to conclussions i meant people like amphipolis who beleive everything what they are told that macedonians were greeks.We know that they weren't one race they were two different races.I beleive that the macedonians didn't count in simply greek,They had their own terminology.
                  Are you going to beleive someone like amphipolis who has multiple accounts and has in the past masqueraded as a number of banned greeks from this forum.?
                  So who are you going to beleive a liar and a propagandist???
                  Last edited by George S.; 09-01-2015, 06:19 AM.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I never said that the ancient Macedonian language was Greek, I said that the inscriptions found in Macedonia are written in different Greek dialects with a few peculiarities. These are 2 different statements.
                    I can’t see a dialect or any peculiarities but that’s maybe because (a) I’m not an expert and (b) inscriptions are usually very very very short and synoptic. There are not even sentences there.

Interesting. Whose tomb do you suppose it is? This guy Ketrizis?
                    I guess so, unless I’m awfully wrong.

Jumping to conclusions about what exactly? The fact is the members here who know Greek are able to read the inscriptions. This is unrelated to what we believe about the ancient Macedonian language. Let's just avoid unnecessary arguments and focus on the topic of this thread.
                    Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
                    It’s certainly ALL Greek (or Latin). What made you think differently to start with? Had you ever heard that inscriptions in Macedonia are in an unknown non-deciphered language or something?

Have you seen what the real people have studied about the ancient macedonian language.Its not greek its a stand alone macedonian language.A distinct language.You can't say they just spoke greek only?If you do that's a lie.I didn't say YOU are jumping to conclussions i meant people like amphipolis who beleive everything what they are told that macedonians were greeks.We know that they weren't one race they were two different races.I beleive that the macedonians didn't count in simply greek,They had their own terminology.
                    Are you going to beleive someone like amphipolis who has multiple accounts and has in the past masqueraded as a number of banned greeks from this forum.?
                    First of all, there are not many ways to count. The Greek numerical system, just as the Latin one and others is a decimal one. For instance, 2015 in Greek is ,βιε’ while in Latin is MMXV.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

I dont care about your greek numerals where are the macedonian numerals?Don't tell me there areen't any because there must be.You are avoiding the question that you aren't welcome to this forum as you will only tell it from the greek side only.You are totally biased.What do we care for your greek numerals.?
                      Last edited by George S.; 09-01-2015, 07:22 AM.
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                        • Oct 2014

I dont care about your greek numerals where are the macedonian numerals?Don't tell me there areen't any because there must be.You are avoiding the question that you aren't welcome to this forum as you will only tell it from the greek side only.You are totally biased.What do we care for your greek numerals.?
                        We don't know what ancient Macedonian numerals were like. But there are Greek numerals on these inscriptions; that's a fact. We know even less about what the ancient Macedonian numbers were like. We can only guess based on a few words that are said to be Macedonian. For example, "Ana dromos" was translated as "9 (Ana) roads (dromos)" and there's the toponym "Otto-lobos" meaning "8 Hills". The word for 9 seems to be distinct from the Greek "Ennea" while "Otto-lobos" mayhave been the Latin version of "Okto-lofos" which is pure Greek. Unless there are other Macedonian numbers I don't know about, that's all

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                          • Oct 2014

Where did Amphipolis try to convince us of the "Greekness" of the Macedonians on this thread to start an argument? I must have missed that.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

For example, "Ana dromos" was translated as "9 (Ana) roads (dromos)"...
                            I've heard of Ennea Odoi but what is this? Era? Place? Source?

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                              It’s certainly ALL Greek (or Latin). What made you think differently to start with? Had you ever heard that inscriptions in Macedonia are in an unknown non-deciphered language or something?
                              Unknown, non-deciphered language: here. Also, as I pointed out, I'm talking about the whole region of Macedonia from different time periods, so you'll see Latin and Slavic on this thread. Of course the earliest epigraphy (as far as I know) is in Greek. Also, looking at the epigraphy from earlier time periods we see that much remains non-deciphered, like the Dispilio Tablet (click). These are all inscriptions worth looking at and trying to interpret.

Comment

Working...
                              X