X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    It was so disappointing. How something so layered (who can forget the Hodor moment?) could turn into that shallow rubbish. Utterly pathetic.
    What endeared me to GoT were the unpredictable plots and left field surprises...

I was a bit of a late adopter of the series, I got on board at the start of season 3 but before that I had watched seasons 1 & 2 on disc and was hooked from the first episode, loved the early surprises like when Ned Stark was executed, the infamous 'Red Wedding' episode, the 'Battle of the bastards' and all the other twists and turns over the journey to season 8.

The final season seemed to lack the imagination that defined the earlier body of work, it was as if the producers had lost their way once the series had overtaken George R. R Martin's books and began tracking into unchartered territory, all of a sudden it become far too predictable, the surprises were fewer and less shocking.

Just a few of the things I found disappointing...

We watched Arya Stark grow from tomboy to skilled assassin over the course of many seasons, we knew about her unique powers and yet they were never used at any stage during season 8...and then finally we watch her sailing off into the sunset...

The story of GoT was as much about a battle between the living and the dead as it was about the throne itself and yet the Night King was so easily disposed of early in the final season...

The Jon Snow character was developing over the entire series, even brought back from the dead in an act of divine intervention to fulfil a higher purpose only to be meekly banished in exile beyond The Wall, although he was the true heir to the throne...

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
      What endeared me to GoT were the unpredictable plots and left field surprises...
      For me it was the above but perhaps more so the way in which the seasons tied into each other with character development and some kind of end purpose. That "end purpose" finished precisely when GRR Martin's existing books finished. Benioff & Weiss didn't have anything clever to add.

This is my favourite review of the final episode:
      This is it. Our watch has ended. Join me as I review Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 6 - The Iron Throne.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
        • Dec 2008

...This is my favourite review of the final episode:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eSB...QcCmNcxEWq%3A6
        Spot on review...

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I like statistics.
          Game of Thrones went from 70 words per minute when at its best to 10 words per minute in the last season.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Line of Duty (on Netflix) was also produced by Jed Mercurio (who produced Bodyguard) and is next on my list.
            Watching the current season of Line of Duty and must hand it to the Brits for their drama TV shows. Absolutely brilliant.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

Watching the current season of Line of Duty and must hand it to the Brits for their drama TV shows. Absolutely brilliant.
              Speaking of British...have you seen 'Fortitude' (on SBS Demand)...just started watching...very good series.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Anybody watching 'Chernobyl'...very good series.

Comment

• Carlin
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  Anybody watching 'Chernobyl'...very good series.
                  I just saw the first episode, and can't wait to watch ep. 2. Very good indeed.

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
                    I just saw the first episode, and can't wait to watch ep. 2. Very good indeed.
                    Only 5 episodes in this mini-series...each one masterfully constructed, constantly evoking a myriad of emotions generated by mankind's worst technological disaster...exposing the dark and sycophantic side of a severely flawed political system, one mired in total incompetence and hubris on one side but carefully balanced by the power of the human spirit and the heroics of personal sacrifice, this was an amazing tv experience...also an awesome soundtrack, always haunting and brooding.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Watched it (Chernobyl), I found myself totally immersed in it. Compelling viewing and reinforced how we are all in this together and human nature is both glorious and pathetic in varied doses. Well worth watching.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

GOMORRA

Oh dear, THIS is mafia in all its misery. It makes the Sopranos and The Godfather look like gay pride marches. Such a gritty edge to it and the only thing we can be sure of is that death is always near. Apparently the author is in hiding due to the fact that some of the themes are a little too close to reality.

This is Italy without the pizza and other clichés. Misery is always near and the poverty almost guarantees criminality and drugs. A terrible part of Napoli to live in!

First couple of seasons are on Netflix at the moment. Well worth watching (with subtitles).
                        Last edited by Risto the Great; 09-09-2019, 06:34 AM.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Just saw Joker. Oh my goodness, not much of a comic kind of guy. But this is Taxi Driver of the 21st century. Unbelievable. Mind blown. Joaquin Phoenix deserves every accolade.

EDIT: There seems to be a huge backlash from the social justice warriors online. The Guardian offered a very favourable review in line with others at the preview and now another Guardian reviewer has now relegated it to 2 out of 5 stars. This is in line with the present trend online to suggest the film is nothing more than an "incel" white man raging. I hope the film is remembered for the incredible performance of Phoenix.
                          Last edited by Risto the Great; 10-04-2019, 07:11 PM.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• VMRO
                            • Sep 2008

Been watching a show i didn't give a chance a few years back but tried it out a second time around and i'm hooked.

Show is called Kingdom, which revolves around a MMA gym and family of MMA fighters.

Great show, 3 seasons in total.
                            Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                              • Apr 2014

Just saw Joker. Oh my goodness, not much of a comic kind of guy. But this is Taxi Driver of the 21st century. Unbelievable. Mind blown. Joaquin Phoenix deserves every accolade.

EDIT: There seems to be a huge backlash from the social justice warriors online. The Guardian offered a very favourable review in line with others at the preview and now another Guardian reviewer has now relegated it to 2 out of 5 stars. This is in line with the present trend online to suggest the film is nothing more than an "incel" white man raging. I hope the film is remembered for the incredible performance of Phoenix.
                              The Taxi Driver influence is very apparent.
                              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
                                The Taxi Driver influence is very apparent.
                                Agreed. But it went far beyond that and is infinitely more relevant in this social climate.

I love this guy's reviews. This one is spot on:
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X