Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

I think Bulgars use Kutri for a puppy also, but I am not sure if they would use it in the same context as we would, such as 'kutro dete' (poor child), 'kutrata zhena' (poor lady), etc.

Makedonin, how about Klavai?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

How about the word Chupe, it is used from Kostur to Bitola and probably elsewhere, I believe the Albanians may use sometimes also (probably as a loan from Macedonian), but I am not sure if Serbs and Bulgars use it.

Can anybody confirm?
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• makedonin
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post

Makedonin, how about Klavai?
        never heard it by Bulgs and Serbs....

As for Kalesh you are right. It designates dark (skinned) girl(s)

In Thracian chalas > mud, Macedonian, Bulg, kal > mud could be related to it.

Kalesh > muddy colour.
        To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• makedonin
          • Sep 2008

Can anybody confirm?

Chupe is uniquie Macedonian word, but it is used more in west-south Macedonia, but it is known in East Macedonia too.

Bulgs and Serbs have no Idea what it means.

In Serb Chupa means to pull something out of something, to thorn something out.
          To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Ok, so to update the list of unique Macedonian words:

Glushets/Glufets (Mouse)
            Bendisa (Fancy)
            Chupe (Girl)
            Kandisa (Convince)
            Kalesh (Tanned)
            Kladi (Put)

If it is determined that others do use it (which I don't think is likely) we will remove whatever is necessary.

Comment

• Delodephius
              • Sep 2008

"Kladi" is not a unique Macedonian word. It is used in everyday Slovak with the same meaning. I always thought it was a unique Slovak word.

Inf. klásť

Praes.
              1.sg. kladiem
              2.sg. kladieš
              3.sg. kladie
              1.pl. kladieme
              2.pl. kladiete
              3.pl. kladú

Pret.
              m.sg. kládol
              f.sg. kládla
              n.sg. kládlo
              m.pl. kládli
              f.pl. kládly

Imp.
              2.sg. klaď
              1.pl. klaďme
              2.pl. klaďte

Part.praes.act.
              m.sg. kladúci
              f.sg. kladúca
              n.sg. kladúce
              m.pl. kladúci
              f.,n.pl. kladúce

etc.
              अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
              उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
              This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
              But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Tribunal
                • Feb 2009

The word 'kandisa' does exist in Bulgarian.The word is used in a Bulgarian folk song from Thrace called Dan'ova Mama.
                'Kutre' for puppy is archaism,and it is normal nowadays to say 'kuchence'.

Comment

• makedonin
                  • Sep 2008

good to learn something new, Slovak (edit - I think you meant Tribunal).

Thracian Song you say, it is even better, I can live with that. Still I havent heard the word to be used by a single Bulgarian, and have asked many about the word, the answear was always, "no, I don't know what that means".

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
                    good to learn something new, Slovak (edit - I think you meant Tribunal).

Thracian Song you say, it is even better, I can live with that. Still I havent heard the word to be used by a single Bulgarian, and have asked many about the word, the answear was always, "no, I don't know what that means".
                    My thoughts exactly. Used in one song in Thrace compared to being understood in nearly all Macedonia seems a no-brainer. It may have been a Thracian word by origin given its similarity to Bendisa, but it is now a unique Macedonian word, being present in a song or two does not exactly qualify it as a Bulgarian word.

Tribunal, whereabouts in Thrace is the song from? You seem to be familiar with Bulgarian literature then, Bugarin si?

Originally posted by Slovak
                    "Kladi" is not a unique Macedonian word. It is used in everyday Slovak with the same meaning. I always thought it was a unique Slovak word.
                    Lol, well it looks like we cancel each other out then. Thanks for the input, I will update the list.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tribunal
                      'Kutre' for puppy is archaism,and it is normal nowadays to say 'kuchence'.
                      Tribunal, would the word 'kutre' be used for anything else in Bulgarian?

Comment

• makedonin
                        • Sep 2008

(edit - I think you meant Tribunal).
                        Yep, you are correct SoM, my bad.

Is there someone out there that uses the word "Uidisa or Ujdisa" > to make something to somebody right.

This word is also used widely in East Macedonia, but frequently in Shtip.

I ain't sure about the rest of Macedonia. Maybe with some variant of it is used around Macedonia.
                        Last edited by makedonin; 03-01-2009, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Makedonin, that wasn't my edit, must have been one of the others that did it?

Originally posted by Makedonin
                          Is there someone out there that uses the word "Uidisa or Ujdisa" > to make something to somebody right.
                          I have used that word in the following context, "ne se udisai so nego oti losho dete e", meaning, "don't go along/hang out with him because he is a bad kid".

Is that they way you would use it?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

How about the word 'Opina', which means something like 'approach' in a certain manner or make some type of movement, not sure exactly how to explain it. Here is how I would use it in a sentence, if a father was telling his son not to get too excited over an argument or something similar, he would "sine, ne se opinai nogu", or "sho se opinash ti".

Anybody else heard of it?

Comment

• makedonin
                              • Sep 2008

Makedonin, that wasn't my edit, must have been one of the others that did it?

I have used that word in the following context, "ne se udisai so nego oti losho dete e", meaning, "don't go along/hang out with him because he is a bad kid".

Is that they way you would use it?
                              That is one way to I would use the word. Or when two bad kids have found them to make bad things, we say "Uidisaa se"!

Other way, is "Choek ne mozhe da ti Uidisa nisho" meaning

No one can't make it right to you
                              Last edited by makedonin; 03-01-2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• makedonin
                                • Sep 2008

Also what about the word "Sardisa" > to surround, to block off,
                                see idividi dictionary

My grand mother used the word very often.
                                My mother thought it might have been from Turkish origin, how ever, Turks have told me that they don't know the word.

No online Turkish Dictionary has any translation of this word.

The only result I have got is from this: Manisa civarında bulunan Sart şehri. >
                                Around the city of Manisa in the Terms.

Which refers to some Ancient Lydian City of Sardis

Comment

Working...
                                X