• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nushevski77
    • Jul 2018

First Time Going to Macedonia

post deleted
    Last edited by nushevski77; 12-30-2020, 11:12 PM.
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by nushevski77 View Post
    Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well. Haven't been on here posting in awhile, I couldn't log in finally was able to re set my password.

As the title says I will be going to Macedonia for the first time with two of my cousins, I've never been to Europe before so I'm really looking forward to this trip in May once I finish my exams.

My trip is for 10 days; 4 days Ohrid, 2 days Bitola (day trip to Lerin to see the village), and 4 days Skopje.

While in Ohrid we plan to take a car to see Sveti Naum, Galichitsa, & Konjsko. In Skopje we plan to take a car see Canyon Matka, and the Millennial Cross.

If anyone has any advice/tips or anything I should know, that would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone have any recommendations on great restaurants where we will be? And is their any places I haven't mentioned that is must see; I really wanted to go and see Mavrovo+Sveti Jovan Bigorski but I think it might be too far out of the way from us.

Thank you,

Hope you have a good time. A few tips.

If you are going to Galichitsa make sure you go all the to the top where the vista is. It overlooks the lake, and selo Trpejca.

Also you didn't mention any of the attractions in the city itself like Tsar Samuels Fortress, St Kliment and Kaneo Churches, the Amphitheater, The walking bridge under Kaneo, the Museum, even just walking through the windy streets of the old town on the way up the hillside. There is also an awesome hiking path (paved) up behind Kaneo that wraps the whole mountain side, you get all sorts of views from it.

If you are going to go to St Naum, then there is a lot of stuff on your way. Peshtani, those little houses on the water (zalivot na koskite), Trpejca. You will pass all the beaches but it won't really be beach weather.

If you want good kebapi or burek stick to the Turkish part of the Charsija, best Pizza is at Prova Its right off the street "Makedonski Prosvetiteli", Avoid the tourist traps right near the ploshtad the food is terrible. Cuba beach night club is a nice scene but you might be going a little early. Letnica right off the ploshtad has good sweets and ice cream.

Struga is a 10 min drive from Ohrid. You can walk through the main part of town and along the Drim in an hour. Stop at the restaurant Sv Nikola for some good authentic food. I recommend taking an hour or two out of your day to see it since its right there. If you can spare another hour take another 10 minute drive from Struga to Kalishta nice sights and beaches. Keep going and you will hit Oktisi and finally Vevchani where there are some attractions and a very nice restaurant Via Ignatia

I'd cut 1 or 2 days out of Skopje and add it somewhere else, Ohrid, Bitola, or even Struga. Honestly there isn't much to see there. Its a city, relatively big for Macedonia, but on a worldwide stage its nothing special. It has all the modern things you'd find in any city and lots of fake plastic architecture. Yes there are some attractions worth seeing but in comparison to how much there is to see in Ohrid, Struga, and Bitola it seems like time wasted, especially because your trip is relatively short. If you like the city scene go for it, if you prefer to see more culture and history shorten or even replace it. Honestly the most I ever see of Skopje is when I drive to the Airport.

There are other interesting places but I don't think you have the time. Kratovo, Krushevo, Dojran.

I can tell you where everything is in Ohrid and Struga, just tell me what you are interested in. I've also got a good friend who is a phenomenal tour guide. He is like a walking text book and born to do what he does, if you need one.

I'll be going in July, shame I would have shown you around.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Which one is your village in Florina?

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by nushevski77
        Thank you Gocka, I really appreciate it.

I will keep an eye out for those houses on water on the way to Naum, i've never heard of them before. Is it like an island?

I was wondering so when we land at the airport we have a driver who will be taking us straight to Ohrid; I heard that there is a broken down 18th century church in the middle of a lake in Mavrovo. Do you know if the route from Skopje to Ohrid passes that Church? Im really intrigued by it.

Thank you.
        There are 2 ways to get to Ohrid. Through Gostiva then Kicevo going west and then south. The other way is going south through Veles, Kavadarci, Prilep. and Bitola. Then you go west through Resen and Finally Ohrid. The time and distance is roughly the same with the Western route being slightly shorter and faster, we are talking like 15 minute difference. The Southern route lets you hit more interesting cities on the way.

Taxi Drivers almost always go through Gostivar and Kichevo which makes Mavrovo kind of on the way. It might be like a 40-45 minute detour.

Comment

Working...
        X