• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redsun
    • Jul 2013

Britain, Italy include drugs and sex in GDP
    By Melvin Backman @CNNMoney May 30, 2014: 9:29 AM ET

Plenty of money is spent on illegal drugs and prostitution. The United Kingdom and Italy are now calculating how much.

The U.K.'s Office of National Statistics announced Thursday that paying for drugs and sex adds about £10 billion ($16.7 billion) a year to the economy. The British government is now including prostitution and narcotics sales in its official Gross Domestic Product (GDP) statistic. That's the oft-cited measure of how much a country's economy grows or contracts.

Ninemsn - Italy to include drug and prostitution money in GDP calculations.

ITALY’S statistics agency says estimated revenues from drug trafficking and the sex trade will be used to calculate gross domestic product (GDP) starting next year in a move expected to boost its economic results.

The Istat agency said the calculation would also include revenues from contraband tobacco and alcohol, adding that the procedure would be “very difficult for the obvious reason that these illegal activities are not reported”.

“The concept of what is illegal activity is also open to different interpretations,” Istat said on Thursday in a statement explaining the new method of calculation in accordance with new European Union rules.

Is this a healthy system?
    Last edited by Redsun; 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
      I don't think China is the economic superpower its made out to be. For the number of people it has, it should be producing 5 times what it is.
      I know what you mean.
      But it does produce about 90% of everything, and it understands the significance of volume. My dealings with China over the years has seen prices go up and some improvements to marketing strategies. They will get to a Japanese type of model soon enough where they service their own thereafter. Bring on Indonesia.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        I know what you mean.
        But it does produce about 90% of everything, and it understands the significance of volume. My dealings with China over the years has seen prices go up and some improvements to marketing strategies. They will get to a Japanese type of model soon enough where they service their own thereafter. Bring on Indonesia.
        Do you think the Chinese can grow their economy beyond a certain limit without liberalising their political system? A few decades back, the Soviet Union was meant to become the most powerful economy in the world...but they had a few defects and Russia inherited them. My feeling is that China wants to have its cake (economic powerhouse) and eat it (totalitarianism). I'm not sure they are compatible.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

That's a good question Tom I think china will go the same as japan look at what happened to japan.The wages in china are rising as well,will that mean a virtual western type of capitalist progress for china??It will also mean the same demise as costs etc catch up with china.The economies of scale won't be be there anymore.It won't be viable enough to carry on.Also I noticed that china is also into foreign debt of 6.5 trillion & rising.Remember the Lima Declaration of how we all gave up our industries & factories just so that china etc could produce due to the economies of scale?
          As for Macedonia the wages are very cheap otherwise there is too much corruption going on prohibiting investment.Then there is the Macedonian tax system that will hit you hard if you dare make a profit.They just make their rules as they go.
          Last edited by George S.; 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Pop Alexandra
            • Apr 2020

What are the import/export implications of these agreements? Will any of the taxes be reduced?

Comment

Working...
            X