X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Eleni

Is an interesting book by Nicholas Gage about his mother's sufferings in a Greek village called Lia situated near Albania. It tells of how she suffered at the hands of the communists and eventually met her death. An absolute tragedy and quite believable.

Naturally I was quite curious if Macedonians were mentioned in amongst this tragedy of the civil war in Greece. There were only two mentions made. The first one whereby villages run by communists would often bring in leaders from outside the village to avoid familial relations. In this instance the author described a "Slav Macedonian" who was brought in to run this woman's village.

The other instance was when one of Eleni's daughters was conscripted as a soldier (andartina) for the communist army and sent to fight in the Vitcho Planina (Vitsi in Greek). She (Glykeria) had given herself up to the Monarchofascists and here is the text:

By the light of the dawn the guarded prisoners could see a spectacular view of the battle above them as the soldiers drove the guerrillas up the corpse-littered peaks. The number of prisoners grew and Glykeria trembled as she saw soldiers beat captured andartinas with their gun butts because the women would not speak Greek, only their Macedonian dialect. Their captors took this as proof that they were loyal to the Communists, who had promised to create a separate Macedonian state in northern Greece.
    This was on the Vitcho which carries the blood of tens of thousands of Macedonians. Who would not have died had it been for the then 400 million dollars of cash and military assistance from the USA. They were not communists, they were simply not Greeks, nor USA's lapdogs.

I believe a monument to fallen Macedonians on the Vitcho is still highly appropriate.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

There is also a movie based on that book Risto.
    Saw it a long time ago when I was a teen, so i dont remember it very well, other than it was very good.
    Its an American made film i believe,

Comment

• julie
      • May 2009

I think I saw the same movie many years ago too Spartan. A real tear jerker and very sad, and the movie was titled I, Eleni, from memory
      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Spartan
        • Sep 2008

^^Yup, it was titled "Eleni"
        Very sad movie for sure

Comment

Working...
        X