X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coolski
    • Sep 2008

Web Hosting in Macedonia

I'm thinking about how computer literacy is increasing in Macedonia, and especially how generation Y in Macedonia has really taken things on board with regards to interacting online and being part of the online community. It's not just a broad statement, but more a reflection of our presence and input on facebook, youtube, forums, photo sites, etc.

A result of being part of this online community is an understanding of potential customers for internet-based business internationally, not just in Macedonia. I know (as many of you also do) that all it takes to start a website/ business idea online is an idea, knowledge and a bit of money.

I suspect that in Macedonia, ideas are there, as is knowledge, but that bit of expendable income that we in the diaspora wouldn't normally think twice about, might be a bigger deal to, say, a young Macedonian IT or business student with a cool idea.

Remember, facebook was started by a college student in the US, youtube by two guys working in a garage, and google had a similar story. They are now multi billion dollar companies.

Given that hosting web space can be as cheap as $100 for 2 years, with 500GB (maybe more) of web space, I think it would be a great idea if a scheme was put in place where the cost of hosting space was either heavily subsidised or free, such that developers or business people have the freedom to be creative with their internet business ideas. Ownership of the ideas and content would remain 100% with the person that has the idea. Once the business makes more than € x then they would be encouraged to get their own hosting, and then contribute to the scheme that helped them get on their feet.

The scheme could be run by the government (i.e. all they need to do is buy some server space), or it could be done as an aid or non-for-profit thing by people like us in the online diaspora.

Does anyone know if something like this is already in place?
    - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
    - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

i read somewhere that one of the best Java Programmers in the world comes from Skopje.
    You are right coolski things are really developing re the internet in macedonia.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
    X