• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Chopper Read dies......

Mark Brandon Chopper Read dies at age 58 from liver cancer in Melbourne

Notorious Melbourne crime figure turned author Mark Brandon Read has died after a long battle with liver cancer aged 58.

Read died at the Royal Melbourne Hospital on Wednesday afternoon "after a long and courageous battle with liver cancer", his manager Andrew Parisi said.

"I am deeply saddened to confirm the death of Mark Brandon Read, known widely throughout Australia and the world as 'Chopper'. Mark passed away today at the Royal Melbourne Hospital after a long and courageous battle with liver cancer."

Read made his last public appearance in front of a sold-out audience at Melbourne's Athenaeum Theatre a fortnight ago.

"Despite his failing health, he delighted the audience with his skills as a raconteur and storyteller," Mr Parisi said.

"This is how he would wish to be remembered, as someone who spun a great yarn and made many people laugh."

Read's death was a tragic loss for his wife, Margaret, and his sons, Roy and Charlie, he said.

"For more than fifteen years, Mark has lived a quiet life with Margaret in Collingwood. He worked as a writer, painter and public speaker, paid his taxes and took care of his family.

"At the time of his death, we ask that people reflect on how Mark was able to overcome his past and, after more than 23 years in prison, find a way to re-enter "normal" society.

"It is as a husband, father and friend that Mark will be missed most deeply."

The family requested privacy in their time of grief.

Read had spent much of his adult life in prison for committing multiple violent crimes, and gained infamy in his younger days for sometimes using a blowtorch or bolt cutters to remove the toes of his targets.

He also had a fellow Pentridge Prison inmate slice off both of his ears while in jail.

Read later used his career in crime as the basis for a series of bestselling true crime books, although exactly how ‘‘true’’ many of the stories are has been questioned.

“Look, honestly, I haven’t killed that many people,” Read said in an interview with The New York Times earlier this year, “probably about four or seven, depending on how you look at it.’

Read was diagnosed with liver cancer in April last year and he also had cirrhosis. He said his illness started after contracting hepatitis C while in prison.

The owner of an inner Melbourne pub where Read was a regular said he last saw him a fortnight ago.

‘‘He just looked yellow, as sick as I’ve seen him for some time,’’ publican Glen McGee from Collingwood’s Leinster Arms said.

Mr McGee said Read was the pub’s first customer when it opened 12 years ago.

‘‘I remember it well and that’s as sick as I’ve seen him.‘‘He hasn’t drunk alcohol for nearly four years now because of his liver complaint.

‘‘People took him as Chopper Read, he was just Mark to us.’’
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Good, another criminal dead.
    Neville Fucking Bartos should be happy.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      Neville Fucking Bartos should be happy.
      ...lol

I wonder how many people know what you're talking about?

BTW, great movie.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
        • Jan 2010

The movie is probably one of the best Aussie films out there. Chopper made for some other pretty funny impersonations as well.

Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the Fuck Up - YouTube

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

I have so much respect for the man.

He knocked back a chance for a liver transplant because he believed he didn't deserve it.

Amazing.
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

they remind me of ned kelley in modern times .They stood up for what they beleived.THey killed about 30 people.THey were one of a kind.Copper really lived up to the name.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
            X