Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

They shouldn't be in the team if they don't sing the anthem.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
      • Apr 2014

I do not quite understand why they play for Macedonia if they deplore it so much? As Albanians by origin, they do have the right to represent Albania instead (which some do). My only guess is they rather play for the superior team.

I have also seen photos from the game showing Anautović seemingly giving Alioski the Macedonian salute.
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
        I have also seen photos from the game showing Anautović seemingly giving Alioski the Macedonian salute.
        I doubt it. More like he was making the "ok" sign with his hand to affirm a point.
        I do not quite understand why they play for Macedonia if they deplore it so much? As Albanians by origin, they do have the right to represent Albania instead (which some do). My only guess is they rather play for the superior team.
        I don't think it has anything to do with being a superior team. FIFA ranks both Macedonia and Albania in the 60's. If anything, some of these ethnic Albanian players view Macedonia as inferior. The actual reasons are below. I wouldn't usually quote Wikipedia, but the sources are cited.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enis_Bardhi

Bardhi desired to represent Albania, stating "I do not believe there is an Albanian born in Skopje, with Albanian families, who would not want to play for Albania".[9] Redi Jupi, who was appointed as scouting manager for the Albanian Football Association, never approached Bardhi or respond to Bardhi's managers call out. With Macedonia showing genuine interest and Bardhi viewing the FSHF handling of the situation and response as unprofessional, accepted the call-up for Macedonia.[9] However, Jetmir Salihu, a representative for the FSHF, dismissed Bardhi's claim, who unveiled all the messages between him and the player, replying that Bardhi was never interested to come to Albania in the first place.[10] He also accused the player of trying to damage the image of Albanian Football Association with the aim to be seen as hero to Albanian people, stating: "Since 2010 I've had hundreds of such cases, footballers that have refused the national team and at the end they came out with such statements because they want to make FSHF guilty so they can win the sympathy of Albanians."[10]
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arijan_Ademi

Ademi made his first international appearance for Croatia playing for the under-19 football team.......After Ademi was not picked for the 2014 FIFA World Cup squad in Brazil by coach Niko Kovač, he decided to play for Macedonia.[16] Kovač later changed his mind and tried to call him up after the tournament but Ademi refused as he had already given his word to Football Federation of Macedonia and hadn't wanted to break the besa.[17]
        Probably the same deal with the other two that were in the starting lineup, where they either didn't make the cut to play for Albania and got into some sort of dispute with the FSHF. Perhaps there were other reasons, but not sure what they could be. Hard to imagine they would have chosen Macedonia out of any sense of pride or duty given that they don't even bother to sing the anthem.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Fair points. Will we ever see an Albanian Macedonian adorne the jersey with the same pride as someone like Elif Elmas? Probably not.
          I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Carlin
            • Dec 2011

An article from Republika on this. Arnautovic apparently "has a running feud" with Alioski, according to the article.

Ethnic hatred is a possible motive in Arnautovic’s outburst against Alioski

URL:
            The match between Macedonia and Austria at the European Championship included several heated moments, but none like the incident at...

The match between Macedonia and Austria at the European Championship included several heated moments, but none like the incident at the end when Austrian player Marko Arnautovic shouted at Macedonia’s Ezgjan Alioski.

Arnautovic, who came as a substitute to score Austria’s third goal in the 3:1 win, apparently used expletives at Alioski and had to be restrained by Alaba. Many believe that Arnautovic was also using ethnically charged terms at Alioski, with whom he has a running feud.

Arnautovic is an ethnic Serb, while Alioski is an Albanian. It’s possible that the slurs used were along ethnic lines. Arnautovic also made the “ok sign”, which is increasingly seen as a racist symbol in the West, while in the Balkans it has various other, insulting connotations, but a version of which is sometimes also used as a Serbian nationalist symbol.

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

Arnautovic apologized for his reaction.

URL:
              Uefa has appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to investigate the Austria striker Marko Arnautovic’s reaction to his goal against North Macedonia

Macedonia call on Uefa to investigate Marko Arnautovic remarks

- Austria forward denies using racist language in Euro 2020 game
              - Arnautovic apologises for his reaction to Macedonia fans

The North Macedonian football federation has called for Uefa to investigate Marko Arnautovic’s remarks towards North Macedonia supporters after the Austria striker scored late in their Euro 2020 game on Sunday.

Arnautovic has denied using racist language during the match in Bucharest, but apologised for his reaction towards opposition fans after scoring in the 89th minute of Austria’s 3-1 win. The Austria captain, David Alaba, stepped in to restrain an apparently furious Arnautovic while he was celebrating his goal.

“There were some heated words yesterday in the emotions of the game for which I would like to apologise – especially to my friends from North Macedonia and Albania,” Arnautovic, whose father is Serbian, said on Instagram. “I would like to say one thing very clearly: I am not a racist. I have friends in almost every country and I stand for diversity. Everyone who knows me is aware of that.”

Initial media reports suggested that the 32-year-old’s anger was also directed at North Macedonian players Egzon Bejtulai and Ezgjan Alioski, both of whom have Albanian roots. The Football Federation of Macedonia (FFM) statement, released on Facebook on Monday, claims that Arnautovic’s remarks were aimed at Alioski.

“The FFM strongly condemns the nationalistic outburst of Austrian player Marko Arnautovic, after a goal scored in yesterday’s match, addressed to Ezgjan Alioski,” a statement said. “At the same time, we inform you that we have submitted an official letter to Uefa demanding the harshest punishment for Arnautovic.”

“We are always against nationalism, discrimination and all other forms of insults and outbursts that are not in the spirit of football and values that we all stand together. We will always stand up and defend the interests and dignity of Macedonian national players wherever they perform.”

There is historic tension between Serbia and both Albania and North Macedonia over the sovereignty of Kosovo, a former Serbian province that declared independence in 2008. At the 2018 World Cup, Switzerland’s Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri, who are both of Albanian-Kosovan heritage, received fines for gestures made during their match against Serbia.

Arnautovic, a former Stoke City and West Ham player, is currently based in China with Shanghai Port. In their next Group C games, Austria take on the Netherlands at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam on Thursday, while North Macedonia play Ukraine in Bucharest.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                Arnautovic also made the “ok sign”, which is increasingly seen as a racist symbol in the West, while in the Balkans it has various other, insulting connotations, but a version of which is sometimes also used as a Serbian nationalist symbol.
                Alioski is whiter than Arnautovic. I doubt the latter used the "ok sign" as a sign of white supremacy.
                The North Macedonian football federation has called for Uefa to investigate Marko Arnautovic’s remarks towards North Macedonia supporters after the Austria striker scored late in their Euro 2020 game on Sunday.
                The Guardian should investigate its own remarks regarding the Football Federation of Macedonia and apologise for referring to it as the "North Macedonian football federation".
                “There were some heated words yesterday in the emotions of the game for which I would like to apologise – especially to my friends from North Macedonia and Albania,” Arnautovic, whose father is Serbian, said on Instagram.
                If that's how he referred to the country of his supposed "friends" then he is a moron.
                “The FFM strongly condemns the nationalistic outburst of Austrian player Marko Arnautovic, after a goal scored in yesterday’s match, addressed to Ezgjan Alioski,” a statement said.
                But the FFM doesn't condemn the nationalistic silence of Alioski when the Macedonian national anthem is being played.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

https://english.republika.mk/news/ma...g-in-albanian/

Alioski says he was kicked out of a restaurant in Prilep for speaking in Albanian

Macedonian and Leeds winger Ezgjan Alioski says he was not allowed into a restaurant in Prilep because he was speaking in Albanian with his family. I’m shocked by what happened in Prilep. I play in the Macedonian team, I came from England to be with my team, I was happy about it, and this is what happens. I do not hide that I’m an Albanian, I spoke with my relatives in my native tongue and a man approached me and told me to leave because of the language I was using. I’m speechless, Alioski said. Alioski was born in Prilep, and he is in Macedonia for the European Championship qualifiers against Poland and Austria.
                  Follow up to the above. So, there was more to the story and it looks like Alioski made a false accusation due to a supposed misunderstanding.
                  https://english.republika.mk/news/ma...sit-elsewhere/

Restaurant owner says Alioski was not kicked out – he sat at a reserved table and didn’t comprehend that he is being asked to sit elsewhere

Oliver Nikoloski, owner of the La Strada restaurant in Prilep, shared his version of events related to football player Ezgjan Alioski, who claims that he was refused service because he was speaking in Albanian. We had reservations for a large group of bikers from Kavadarci, who required several tables. Alioski and his party sat at one of these reserved tables. They were told that they will have to get another table, because the reservation is due in half an hour. They were not insulted, they were not told to leave the place and they were not kicked out. Probably due to the difficulty in understanding us, in Macedonian, a misunderstanding occured. I apologized three times, but it was in vain, Nikoloski says. Alioski visited the restaurant after the incident to make amends with the owner and gave him a Leeds jersey. Meanwhile President Stevo Pendarovski raised the incident as a political issue and wrote a Facebook post defending Alioski from discrimination. “I’m sure that a large majority of our citizens can differentiate based on good or bad and not based on which language we speak or how we pray or look”, Pendarovski wrote. Albanian media outlets in Macedonia also raised the incident as evidence of discrimination against Albanians.

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    Follow up to the above. So, there was more to the story and it looks like Alioski made a false accusation due to a supposed misunderstanding.
                    According to Wiki he speaks around 7 languages, including English and Macedonian...and yet there was still a "misunderstanding"???

I'm tipping you could hand gesture or scribble stick figures on a serviette and navigate your way out of that "misunderstanding" pretty easily...

Sounds all a little too contrived...or to use Occam's Razor to cut through the bullshit...perhaps the same bloke that wasn't interested in singing the Macedonian anthem also wasn't interested in addressing the restaurant staff in Macedonian.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                      Arnautovic apologized for his reaction.

URL:
                      Uefa has appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to investigate the Austria striker Marko Arnautovic’s reaction to his goal against North Macedonia

Macedonia call on Uefa to investigate Marko Arnautovic remarks

- Austria forward denies using racist language in Euro 2020 game
                      - Arnautovic apologises for his reaction to Macedonia fans

Arnautovic has denied using racist language during the match in Bucharest, but apologised for his reaction towards opposition fans after scoring in the 89th minute of Austria’s 3-1 win. The Austria captain, David Alaba, stepped in to restrain an apparently furious Arnautovic while he was celebrating his goal.

“There were some heated words yesterday in the emotions of the game for which I would like to apologise – especially to my friends from North Macedonia and Albania,” Arnautovic, whose father is Serbian, said on Instagram. “I would like to say one thing very clearly: I am not a racist. I have friends in almost every country and I stand for diversity. Everyone who knows me is aware of that.”

Initial media reports suggested that the 32-year-old’s anger was also directed at North Macedonian players Egzon Bejtulai and Ezgjan Alioski, both of whom have Albanian roots. The Football Federation of Macedonia (FFM) statement, released on Facebook on Monday, claims that Arnautovic’s remarks were aimed at Alioski.

“The FFM strongly condemns the nationalistic outburst of Austrian player Marko Arnautovic, after a goal scored in yesterday’s match, addressed to Ezgjan Alioski,” a statement said. “At the same time, we inform you that we have submitted an official letter to Uefa demanding the harshest punishment for Arnautovic.”

“We are always against nationalism, discrimination and all other forms of insults and outbursts that are not in the spirit of football and values that we all stand together. We will always stand up and defend the interests and dignity of Macedonian national players wherever they perform.”

There is historic tension between Serbia and both Albania and North Macedonia over the sovereignty of Kosovo, a former Serbian province that declared independence in 2008. At the 2018 World Cup, Switzerland’s Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri, who are both of Albanian-Kosovan heritage, received fines for gestures made during their match against Serbia.

Arnautovic, a former Stoke City and West Ham player, is currently based in China with Shanghai Port. In their next Group C games, Austria take on the Netherlands at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam on Thursday, while North Macedonia play Ukraine in Bucharest.

Surprised how many Macedonians have jumped to Alioski's defence in the same game he stood silent for our national anthem...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
                        Surprised how many Macedonians have jumped to Alioski's defence in the same game he stood silent for our national anthem...
                        Both instances should be condemned (although it's still not clear what triggered the outburst), but the lack of criticism on the part of those Macedonians who speak out against Arnautovic yet choose to remain silent about Alioski's lack of respect for the country's anthem demonstrates that they are nothing but a bunch of cucks.

Comment

• Carlin
                          • Dec 2011

UEFA is investigating Arnautovic.

Meanwhile, it looks like UEFA have Rejected Greek protest over the use of MKD, FFM.

URL:
                          UEFA responded to the official Greek complaint regarding the presentation of the Macedonian team at the European Championship. According to...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Arnautovic has been banned for one match due to his outburst.

Meanwhile, the useless media in Macedonia is basically silent on the four Albanian players who refused to sing the Macedonian anthem. Some Albanian media has mentioned it, although social media also has heaps of negative comments from Albanians about why these individuals are playing for Macedonia in the first place.
                            https://top-news1.com/the-four-alban...donian-anthem/

Those who stood out during the execution of the Macedonian anthem, were 4 Albanian footballers, Alioski, Bardhi, Ademi and Musiu, who chose not to sing, respecting in some way their origin.

Comment

• VMRO
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              Arnautovic has been banned for one match due to his outburst.

Meanwhile, the useless media in Macedonia is basically silent on the four Albanian players who refused to sing the Macedonian anthem. Some Albanian media has mentioned it, although social media also has heaps of negative comments from Albanians about why these individuals are playing for Macedonia in the first place.
                              Macedonian media turns a blind eye to this another justification for my argument that journalists in Macedonia are useless twats.

The players who are ethnic Albanians in the team have to contend with constant criticism why they chose to play for Macedonia.

Imagine the abuse they would get if they actually sang the anthem (Alioski in the video looked like he wanted to join in).

This is the problem where Albanian nationalists in Macedonia over the last 30+ years have instilled an attitude to not recognise Macedonian symbols and the anthem.

The problem should be treated at the root cause and this is Albanian politicians, so called Academics and other structures who for the last 30 years have normalised this behavior. (Macedonian politicians/Journalists etc are also to blame for turning a blind eye to this and not calling it out).
                              Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
                                ...The problem should be treated at the root cause and this is Albanian politicians, so called Academics and other structures who for the last 30 years have normalised this behavior. (Macedonian politicians/Journalists etc are also to blame for turning a blind eye to this and not calling it out).
                                I'd just like to see a grassroots movement developing amongst Macedonians, where they just show a little bit of pride and respect for themselves, their culture and their history, have some principles and set some boundaries and non-negotiables.

As a relatively tiny nation on the European/World stage, we throw up the odd gem from time-to-time that should be celebrated with passion.
                                Recent achievements in basketball, handball and now football in major European competitions has sparked passions but it always seems to be fleeting without taking real root in the psyche of our people.

Macedonians need to show genuine pride and welcome anyone who wants to come along for the ride, those who use the opportunities given to them to pursue other agendas need to be called out by the people, by the majority...at all times.

The so called Macedonian "elites", whether they be politicians, journalists, academics or whatever, are not capable of delivering a top to bottom movement ...the only hope is for a bottom up movement orchestrated by the people...or as the Americans like to say..."we the people..."

Comment

Working...
                                X