X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BRSJAK
    • Sep 2008

Why do Greeks celebrate Christmas on the 25 th Dec

Greece being “the cradle of the Christian Orthodoxy” (as they claim to be), I always wondered why is it they celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December (As all Catholics do), whilst 300 + million of the Orthodox faith celebrates it on the 7th of January (as per the old calendar). Then they join back again for Easter and celebrate it on the same date as the rest of us. (Mind you they advertise it as Greek Easter in the Western World). They started to claim “Holy days” based on ethnicity too….what’s next I wonder?

Is this due to marketing propaganda where they save $$$ on presents or rather shifting sides towards the power factor?
  • Traveller
    Banned
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BRSJAK View Post
    Greece being “the cradle of the Christian Orthodoxy” (as they claim to be), I always wondered why is it they celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December (As all Catholics do), whilst 300 + million of the Orthodox faith celebrates it on the 7th of January (as per the old calendar). Then they join back again for Easter and celebrate it on the same date as the rest of us. (Mind you they advertise it as Greek Easter in the Western World). They started to claim “Holy days” based on ethnicity too….what’s next I wonder?

Is this due to marketing propaganda where they save $$$ on presents or rather shifting sides towards the power factor?
    In the end you 'll know more about us even from us. You are very close to Hellenization(as the 3 kingdoms of outer Macedonia)...

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Someone once explained it to me.
      I really can't remember it other than knowing there are a few Greek Orthodox purists who believe the change to 25th December is blasphemy.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

And the thoroughly Hellenized ... those who have forgotten their real ethnic roots, can't help wondering at the curious Catholic customs of the Pontians.

Comment

• Giorikas
          • Sep 2008

Another thread dedicated to Greece..

Why is it relevant for you to know, and what does Christmas in Greece have to with Macedonia.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

if you cannot answer the question dont dismiss it with silly remarks.

its a good question, greece is a nation of great interests to us macedonian occupying as it does over 51% of our nation, while you are at it , why if they celebrate xmas on the 25th they then go and have their own little easter.

is it confusion or political expediency.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

It would probably hark back to the Catholic German kings and politicians that modern Greece had after its birth. The establishment of, and subsequent severance of the new "Hellenic" church from Constantinople was promoted by the German rulers of modern Greece, who did quite well in eradicating many symbols of Orthodoxy in the region, which hardly provoked the raising of a brow by the commoners, who had had their fair share of the smothering Greek-speaking priests.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Jankovska
                • Sep 2008

Yet another proof of how confused they are... I am telling you it's all a joke. The Bulgarians changed it too a couple of years ago.

Comment

• Coolski
                  • Sep 2008

They started to claim “Holy days” based on ethnicity too….what’s next I wonder?
                  No, you see, when you have an identity which can morph to mean something religious, something linguistic or something genetic (according to the situation), you can contradict yourself all you like. In this instance "Greek IZ Orthodox" "Orthodox IZ Greek". It's purely a religious statement.

In other instances you will see that they claim to have no Greek ethnicity (i.e. that being a Hellene is a mindset and not something passed through genetics).

In yet other instances you will see that to gain citizenship you need to be Greek by genus. Try to make sense of it, oj čudi se..
                  Last edited by Coolski; 09-11-2008, 08:03 AM.
                  - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
                  - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.

Comment

• BRSJAK
                    • Sep 2008

COOLSKI - You are right on the target (bulls eye )

Comment

Working...
                    X