X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

Two words for Macedonia in Slovak

I just realized that in my native language there two words for the word Macedonia, but with different meanings: Macedónsko and Macedónia. The first word means the state of Macedonia, in the same way that is used with the ending -sko in every other names of states, like: Srbsko, Bulharsko, Grécko, Rusko, Anglícko, Francúsko, etc. Few exceptions, like Čína, India, Irán, Iráq, etc. On the other hand, the word Macedónia means the historic region of Macedonia.
    However the adjectives for both words is macedónsky,-a,-o, as well as the word for the people of Macedonia: Macedónci.

In a similar manner we also have two words for history (written and factual), yet we don't have separate words for arm and hand, leg and foot.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Interesting to see the "o" stressed.
    We stress the "o" in MakedOnia.
    In RoM, the "e" is stressed in MakEdonia.

What are the 2 words you have for history SAT?
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Delodephius
      • Sep 2008

Oh, in Slovak ´ does not stand for stress but for length. It marks long vowels. The stress is always on the first syllable and is always short, like Macedónsko, Tomáš, etc. It is not marked.

The two words for history are dejiny and dejepis. Dejina, plural dejiny, is roughly translated as events but with a strict historical meaning. The things that happened and are independent from opinions and knowledge of anyone. They cannot be changed. When a phrase is use like "Idem študovať dejiny" in English one would use "I'm going to study history", but we would find that imprecise. Just exactly are you going to study? Is it the true events of the past or the written knowledge? Dejepis is made of two roots, dej (events, story, in Macedonian delo like in delati) and pis (written), so the written events. 'Written events' or better said 'the known events' is what people usually talk about and is an accurate translation of the word history. Everyone has it's own version of it. Science of history is called dejepis also and historian is called a dejepisec.
      But the original distinction between the meanings of these two words is fading and they are sometimes used interchangeably in some cases.

We also have two words for Slavs: Slovania and Slovieni. The first stands for our modern meaning of Slavs as Slavic speaker. The second stands for the original ancient Slavs that lived in central Europe and of who we Slovaks, Czechs, Slovenese, Sorbs are descendants. We can say thus that both Slovieni and ancient Macedonians spoke a Slovanic language but only the Slovieni spoke Slovienic. Macedonian and Slovienic are both Slovanic languages. Something to ponder about.
      अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
      उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
      This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
      But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

Working...
      X