Sister Augustine Bewicke on the Macedonian autonomy, 1919!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Sister Augustine Bewicke on the Macedonian autonomy, 1919!

Sister Augustine Bewicke on the Macedonian autonomy

January 4, 1919

St. Paul's Hospital, Salonika

Dear Sir, Please excuse the liberty I take in writing you, it is because the final settlement in the
    Balkans is of vital interest to the Catholics in these countries. - I have been 33 years in this mission, the Uniate Catholic Mission, which at the beginning of the Second Balkan War counted about 10,000 Catholics. The Treaty of Bucharest, which divided Macedonia without any regard to justice, was the cause of these poor people being dispersed on account of their Slav language, which was forbidden in Churches and schools. - The Bishop had his residence in Salonika, he has now been in exile more then 3 years, his priests are dispersed, his flock is indeed without pastors, nor do we have any hope of his return to any place under Greek or Serbian rule. - The Greeks will not admit the Slav language in Churches or schools; the inhabitants of Macedonia are in the great majority Slavs; they call themselves Macedonians, and what they desire and what we ardently desire for them is an autonomy under European control. - I whatever way Macedonia might be divided; the people would be always discontented, and would fight again as soon as possible. The only hope I can foresee is in strong autonomy, which neither Greeks nor Bulgarians nor Serbs would dare attack; then the Macedonians, who are really intelligent and docile when they are well treated. would peacefully develop this beautiful fertile country... Surely Europe will not leave Macedonia under people whom the Macedonians hate, and whom they will continually fight...

Sister Augustine Bewicke, sister of mercy.

Source: Public Record Office (London) - FO 608/44. Peace Conference (British delegation), 1919.

This document is very valuable!
    Are there more like it to be found? YES!
    Visit your local library or your National Archive and take a look!

We are here for Macedonia
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • Bratot
    • Sep 2008

You can find the above also in "Macedonian review", Tom 18-20 published by Kulturen Zhivot, 1988 year and "Documents on the struggle of the Macedonian people for independence and a nation-state, Tom 1" Univerzitet "Kiril i Metodij"--Skopje. Fakultet za filozofsko-istoriski nauki, Institut za nacionalna istorija, Kultura, 1985 (Skopje, Macedonia)
    The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bratot View Post
      You can find the above also in "Macedonian review", Tom 18-20 published by Kulturen Zhivot, 1988 year and "Documents on the struggle of the Macedonian people for independence and a nation-state, Tom 1" Univerzitet "Kiril i Metodij"--Skopje. Fakultet za filozofsko-istoriski nauki, Institut za nacionalna istorija, Kultura, 1985 (Skopje, Macedonia)
      Thank you Bratot, I do own the Macedonian version of "Documents on the struggle of the Macedonian people for independence and a nation-state, Tom 1", but is there a possibility to obtain the original document?

Comment

• Bratot
        • Sep 2008

I guess only in the Republic. You or someone of us can ask a friend in Skopje to look for the original and to buy it.
        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Daskalot
          • Sep 2008

I guess only in the Republic. You or someone of us can ask a friend in Skopje to look for the original and to buy it.
          Bratot, I mean this original document:
          Source: Public Record Office (London) - FO 608/44. Peace Conference (British delegation), 1919
          The book from where this is quoted from I have already, but the Macedonian version of it.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
            • Jan 2009

Daskalot as always an excellent find. You always pull out the big guns
            Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Daskalot
              • Sep 2008

I do what I can..... I am merely the messenger, the Truth speaks for it self.

Comment

• Bratot
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
                Bratot, I mean this original document:

The book from where this is quoted from I have already, but the Macedonian version of it.

Ochh sorry bro, didn't get it

I will ask about the original and the possible way to have at least a copy of it.

P.S. I woudl appreciate if you make a scan from the macedonian version of the book, the quoted page. Could you please?

Comment

• Daskalot
                  • Sep 2008

Ochh sorry bro, didn't get it

I will ask about the original and the possible way to have at least a copy of it.

P.S. I woudl appreciate if you make a scan from the macedonian version of the book, the quoted page. Could you please?
                  No problem, I will post it in a few hours.

Comment

• Mikail
                    • Sep 2008

Thanks to Vodenka for posting this on MakNews

Sister Augustine Bewicke on the Macedonian autonomy, January 4, 1919!

"St. Paul’s Hospital, Salonika Dear Sir, Please excuse the liberty I take in writing you, it is because the final settlement in the Balkans is of vital interest to the Catholics in these countries. - I have been 33 years in this Mission, the Uniate Catholic Mission, which at the beginning of the Second Balkan War counted about 10,000 Catholics. The Treaty of Bucharest, which divided Macedonia without any regard to justice, was the cause of these poor people being dispersed on account of their Slav language, which was forbidden in Churches and schools. - The Bishop had his residence in Salonika, he has now been in exile more then 3 years, his priests are dispersed, his flock is indeed without pastors, nor do we have any hope of his return to any place under Greek or Serbian rule. - The Greeks will not admit the Slav language in Churches or schools; the inhabitants of Macedonia are in the great majority Slavs; they call themselves Macedonians, and what they desire and what we ardently desire for them is an autonomy under European control. - I whatever way Macedonia might be divided, the people would be always discontented, and would fight again as soon as possible. The only hope I can foresee is in strong autonomy, which neither Greeks nor Bulgars nor Serbs would dare attack; then the Macedonians, who are really intelligent and docile when they are well treated. would peacefully develop this beautiful fertile country… Surely Europe will not leave Macedonia under people whom the Macedonians hate, and whom they will continually fight…"

Taken from Public Record Office (London) - FO 608/44. Peace Conference (British delegation), 1919.
                    http://documents-mk.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... onomy.html
                    and this:
                    http://documents-mk.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -1916.html
                    From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• Daskalot
                      • Sep 2008

Here you go Bratot, enjoy!

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

Hey Daskalot,

Your post is excellent. There has to be a ton of stuff in the British archives.

I was reminded of the American Protestant Missionaries in Macedonia who first arrived there in the 1830's. I would say that there is a wealth of stuff to be found there also. I wouldn't know where to begin really. A place to begin would be to contact the Protestant Presbytry organization (Peak Body) and get from them a list of who went to Macedonia and when ...etc. Can you imagine all the personal letters sent home, the private correspondance and what these American Missionaries thought of us 150 years ago?

Comment

• makedonche
                          • Oct 2008

Daskalie
                          Simply outstanding! are there any sources in Australia/Adelaide I can research or hunt down for you?
                          On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Daskalot
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                            Daskalie
                            Simply outstanding! are there any sources in Australia/Adelaide I can research or hunt down for you?
                            Solaj ti mnogou Makedonche!

In fact there are, you most likely have a State/National Archive and/or a State/National library in Adelaide, please visit them and do some light research on the topic of Macedonia, you will be surprised on the amount of information you will find.

Bring a digitalcamera with you, photograph the documents that you consider to be of great importance to our cause, it could be a map, an old newspaper article, immigration records, personal letters, census documents etc.
                            Remember to note the original SOURCE, without it the document is useless. Every historical document we post needs to be SOURCED, so it can be verified if needed by a third party.

There are a multitude of documents to be found.

If every Macedonian who finds my postings on this forum interesting and to be of historical value to our cause, took a little time and visited their local library and researched the topic of Macedonia, we would see a new never before seen document every day of the week for the next ten years. This is a fact.
                            I myself have discovered hundreds of documents and I am only one person, the more of us the better!

I whole heartedly encourage this, there is no better way to spread the Macedonian Truth!

You could also visit your local newspapers to take a look in their archives, preferably newspapers which has been in the business for the last 100 years, they usually have the best archives in regards to our cause.

Comment

• Daskalot
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                              Hey Daskalot,

Your post is excellent. There has to be a ton of stuff in the British archives.

I was reminded of the American Protestant Missionaries in Macedonia who first arrived there in the 1830's. I would say that there is a wealth of stuff to be found there also. I wouldn't know where to begin really. A place to begin would be to contact the Protestant Presbytry organization (Peak Body) and get from them a list of who went to Macedonia and when ...etc. Can you imagine all the personal letters sent home, the private correspondance and what these American Missionaries thought of us 150 years ago?
                              Pelister, there is a ton of information in the British archives. But your local library could be a real treasure trove as well

Do we have any members of the forum whom are able to look into what information is available in regards to the Protestant Missionaries to Macedonia?

Comment

Working...
                              X