• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerraNova
    Banned
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
    There were migrations into the Peloponnese by the people of Epirus(mostly arvanites I would guess). I believe they made the Klarina the instrtument of choice in the south, as it is very big in Epirus to this day.
    As for the bouzouki, it is used as a secondary or third instrument in our music. In contrast, most Greek music has it as the primary instrument.

Clarinet became popular in several parts of mainland Greece only in the mid 19th century.
    There it replaced -more or less- pipe,flute and zurna.

Bouzouki was used firstly in rembetiko kind of music ('10s-'40s) ,and it became popular with laiko kind of music,only after WWII (mostly '50s-'60s)
    So,it's not really part of the folk music ,but rather part of the '20th century ,popular music history of Greece.
    Last edited by TerraNova; 01-23-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

^^ Thanks for the info TN
      Let me ask you this, would you consider tsamika, which is almost 100% klarina oriented(my favorite as well) folk music?
      And another question if you dont mind TN, since you know the music of Greece so well.
      The rembetika, as far as I know was brought to Greece by the refugees who were settled in Pireaus?

Sorry too turn this into a Greek music thread SoM, but im curious today...
      Thanks in advance TN
      Last edited by Spartan; 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• TerraNova
        Banned
        • Nov 2008

^^ Thanks for the info TN
        Let me ask you this, would you consider tsamika, which is almost 100% klarina oriented(my favorite as well) folk music?
        And another question if you dont mind TN, since you know the music of Greece so well.
        The rembetika, as far as I know was brought to Greece by the refugees who were settled in Pireaus?

Sorry too turn this into a Greek music thread SoM, but im curious today...
        Thanks in advance TN

Of course they are folk.
        It's not a matter of instruments though,but a matter of rythm at first ,as well as lyrics and character.

Yes,it's believed they were born in Smyrna ,but there are already samples in mainland Greece even before 1922.
        They were reinforced for sure,but probably not "brought".
        Rembetiko was music of the outsiders,not of the high class ,but it's really a wonderful kind of music .
        I love it (but i dislike 50-60s "laika" -who although they would look similar to someone who doesn't know much abt it just because they use same instruments-they re really different.)

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

I saw on youtube a ten part documentary called "music of the outsiders", narated by Anthony Quinn. It was excellent , you should check it out if you havent already. I love the old Rembetika as well- its all about hash , weed and getting high lol
          Last edited by Spartan; 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

spartan your input is always welcome i for one find your posts interesting heratfelt and honest i do not expect you to agree buti think you understand and thats a big step for anyone to take. unfortunately many greeks dont want to even understand what we feel towards macedonia and to be continually derided as slavs with no rights to what has been our land is at besst abusive and at worst racist. good to see you back terranova .

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

Thank you Osiris, you are a good man as well.
              I do understand , and I do agree.
              Regardless if a man is Slav, Macedonian , Greek , Black or oriental, they deserve basic human rights imo.
              I admire your honesty Osiris

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                • Jan 2009

Thank you Osiris, you are a good man as well.
                I do understand , and I do agree.
                Regardless if a man is Slav, Macedonian , Greek , Black or oriental, they deserve basic human rights imo.
                I admire your honesty Osiris
                Spartan,
                I really don't know you? But from reading your comments I like to praise you for your Honesty and you trying to understand both sides of the story...Very hard to find a Greek that is like you..those who would not accept any other source or facts apart for their own version..

Peace to the Balkans
                The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Spartan
                  • Sep 2008

Thank-you sir
                  I must admit Ive been treated well here as well.
                  Initally, some posters, understandably, were skeptical of my intentions here, but over time I believe most have warmed up to me as they say.

Now at times, it hurts me to read some of the things said about Greeks on this forum, but I knew what I was getting in to when I joined, and I understand why many Macedonians harbor ill will towards the Greeks. I would just like to show the good people of this forum that there are Greeks , who similar to your people, just want to live in peace on the lands theyve always lived on. Rather than trying to "debunk" each others lineage, Id rather exert that energy on moving forwards and finding a common respect between our peoples. Dont get me wrong, I love the historical conversations and debates as much as the next guy, but when it turns hurtful and personal, its not fun any more and no one learns anything.

I dont know you all that well either Lion, but we shall remedy that on this forum I hope

Peace to the Balkans

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Spartan, just keep in mind that much of the comments are directed at Greek racists or apologists who's respect for the Macedonian identity ends when they leave this forum, not to normal Greeks such as yourself.
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
                      • Sep 2008

Thanks SoM

Could you or someone else please translate, if you can, what is written in Serbian(i think??) in the picture below? The sign is a bit hard to see(bottom right corner).

Delete the picture after if you want
                      Thaks in advance

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

It says 'Darko you are one of us, thank you for everything'.

Are they referring to the Macedonian footballer Darko Pancev? If they are they are on drugs, Pancev is Macedonian through and through.

What's the interest in the picture?
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Spartan
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                          It says 'Darko you are one of us, thank you for everything'.
                          Thanks SoM
                          Are they referring to the Macedonian footballer Darko Pancev? If they are they are on drugs, Pancev is Macedonian through and through.
                          No, they are talking about Darko Kovacevic, a Serbian international
                          What's the interest in the picture?
                          I love football, and I am an avid Olympiacos fc supporter
                          Kovacevic played amazing football for us the last couple years , but his career was shockingly and abruptly ended by a serious heart condition.
                          On saturday he came to the stadium of his team, and watched the game from the stands just 3 weeks after surgery.
                          I love this guy, and just wanted to know what the sign the fanatics made meant. I knew it was some kind of tribute

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                            • Jan 2009

Thank-you sir
                            I must admit Ive been treated well here as well.
                            Initally, some posters, understandably, were skeptical of my intentions here, but over time I believe most have warmed up to me as they say.

Now at times, it hurts me to read some of the things said about Greeks on this forum, but I knew what I was getting in to when I joined, and I understand why many Macedonians harbor ill will towards the Greeks. I would just like to show the good people of this forum that there are Greeks , who similar to your people, just want to live in peace on the lands theyve always lived on. Rather than trying to "debunk" each others lineage, Id rather exert that energy on moving forwards and finding a common respect between our peoples. Dont get me wrong, I love the historical conversations and debates as much as the next guy, but when it turns hurtful and personal, its not fun any more and no one learns anything.

I dont know you all that well either Lion, but we shall remedy that on this forum I hope

Peace to the Balkans
                            Spartan,
                            As others on this forum has mention that we don't hate all greeks just those who are racist towards us..and the greek government.
                            You have to understand our reaction towards them.. including other nations who attack us on our identity, culture and history.. It's sad that we have to prove our indentity? we realise why it's is happening... because they have allot to lose?
                            I myself have many greeks friends and also a KUMBARO (Godfather) to a Greek who's from CORFU...
                            So what we say or post don't take it to heart as an attack on you individualy.. But it has left us only this measure to act i'm afraid..

Peace to the Balkans
                            The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Spartan
                              • Sep 2008

I understand that Lion, and I dont take it personally.
                              I can clearly see the reasons as to why the bitterness exists

@SoM
                              Who is this Darko you speak of?
                              Does he currently play?
                              Was/is he a great player?
                              Is he on the level of Pandev?
                              What club(s) did he play for?
                              Last edited by Spartan; 01-25-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• osiris
                                • Sep 2008

darko pancev from wiki

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpCu6A22cs -
                                darko pancev v olimpaikos in athens

spartan my rekationship with greeks is much deeper and better than you would imagine, having lived i greece for 4 years and around greeks in australia for 40+. i lash out, resent even hate what greece as a nation has done to my people and my family. i also know many wonderful greek people.

please understand that.

Comment

Working...
                                X