Was the Macedonian name taboo in Greece prior to the 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    They didn't. They hated the name for a long time.
    They even renamed their new territories a few times in line with their propaganda.
    This is a myth. I don't know who told you, or who started it, but you (I mean the people of the forum) are also guilty as you have very often used and further spread this myth, i.e. you're deceived and/or deceiving each others.

Of course, the territories were NEVER renamed, they never had alternate names, names were never avoided or considered "politically incorrect", quite the contrary (Makedonia xakousti).

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

I forgot. There NEVER has been a place called Macedonia. You have Western, Central etc since 1987. Is that about right?
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bill77
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post

What do you make of the founders of the club?.
        Don't know don't care really.

But i will tell you a story about a former president of the club who thought he was direct descendants of Plato and Socrates (If you know what i mean)

His father along with a group of other Macedonians from Lerin were executed for showing Macedonian patriotism. Legend has it, it was something innocent like playing and singing Macedonian songs.

This makes him vile. What i find worse, is everyone at this club was in awe of him because of it and thought of him as a good example of a wonderful Greek patriot. Bloody sick if you ask me.
        Last edited by Bill77; 04-18-2018, 07:37 AM.
        http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

No I'm Macedonian..
          I'm Just curious brat. od kaj ti e potekloto?
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
            I'm Just curious brat. od kaj ti e potekloto?
            Egejska Makedonija cic
            Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
            Don't know don't care really.

But i will tell you a story about a former president of the club who thought he was direct descendants of Plato and Socrates (If you know what i mean)

His father along with a group of other Macedonians from Lerin were executed for showing Macedonian patriotism. Legend has it, it was something innocent like playing and singing Macedonian songs.

This makes him vile. What i find worse, is everyone at this club was in awe of him because of it and thought of him as a good example of a wonderful Greek patriot. Bloody sick if you ask me.
            Oh man I very much hope that is true. The clubs' founders seemed to be all be Grkomani.
            I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
              This is a myth. I don't know who told you, or who started it, but you (I mean the people of the forum) are also guilty as you have very often used and further spread this myth, i.e. you're deceived and/or deceiving each others.

Of course, the territories were NEVER renamed, they never had alternate names, names were never avoided or considered "politically incorrect", quite the contrary (Makedonia xakousti).
              As I pointed out prior, the name of the adminstration over the territory of Aegean Macedonia was changed from Macedonia to Northern Greece in the 1920s and the change was reverted in 1988 back to Macedonia.
              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Niko777
                • Oct 2010

Was the Macedonian name taboo in Greece prior to the 1980s?
                To answer the original question of this thread, it was certainly taboo in Macedonian villages, and areas affiliated most with komiti (before WW2), and areas affected most by the civil war (after WW2). I don't know how taboo it was in places like, say, Athens or Solun, where Greeks and Pontians make up the majority in those cities respectively.

Comment

• tchaiku
                  • Nov 2016

I am not sure if by taboo you actually mean rare? I see no reason why it would be a taboo?

Comment

• Niko777
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                    I am not sure if by taboo you actually mean rare? I see no reason why it would be a taboo?
                    Wikipedia: A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake.

The term "taboo" comes from the Tongan tapu or Fijian tabu ("prohibited", "disallowed", "forbidden").

Comment

• tchaiku
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                      Wikipedia: A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake.

The term "taboo" comes from the Tongan tapu or Fijian tabu ("prohibited", "disallowed", "forbidden").
                      Exactly, you see my point, why would the name Macedonia be a taboo when Greeks back in the time (and today) did claim the legacy of Alexander?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                        I forgot. There NEVER has been a place called Macedonia. You have Western, Central etc since 1987. Is that about right?
                        The fact that there are three “peripheries” (administrative regions) (Western Macedonia, Central Macedonia and Eastern Macedonia & Thrace) doesn't mean "there's no place called Macedonia", or that the name Macedonia was/is taboo, it means Macedonia is too big.

Comment

• Niko777
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                          Exactly, you see my point, why would the name Macedonia be a taboo when Greeks back in the time (and today) did claim the legacy of Alexander?
                          Because when the name Macedonia was brought up in sensitive areas (areas inhabited by Macedonians) it usually invoked memories of past struggles for autonomy.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                            To answer the original question of this thread, it was certainly taboo in Macedonian villages, and areas affiliated most with komiti (before WW2), and areas affected most by the civil war (after WW2). I don't know how taboo it was in places like, say, Athens or Solun, where Greeks and Pontians make up the majority in those cities respectively.
                            The sources I provided were mostly Solun-based I believe so sounds like you're spot on here. So do you think the regions where Macedonians still inhabitated where where it was taboo? Maybe that's why the name was changed to Northern Greece officialy.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

Maybe that's why the name was changed to Northern Greece officialy.
                              It didn't.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                                The fact that there are three “peripheries” (administrative regions) (Western Macedonia, Central Macedonia and Eastern Macedonia & Thrace) doesn't mean "there's no place called Macedonia", or that the name Macedonia was/is taboo, it means Macedonia is too big.
                                So no place called Macedonia. Why is Greece complaining about name confusion again? Silly Greeks.
                                Risto the Great
                                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                                X