^ Where's the gas coming from?
    Доста бе Вегето една, во секоја манџа се мешаш

Comment

• Vangelovski
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kompir View Post
      ^ Where's the gas coming from?
      Other gas producing countries.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/i...0and%20Nigeria.

Point is, they're not freezing this winter.
      If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Carlin
        • Dec 2011

How are people falling for the idea that Russia is bombing itself at the Zaporizhzhia NPP? -_-

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
          Other gas producing countries.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/i...0and%20Nigeria.

Point is, they're not freezing this winter.
          Didn't you really mean to say other gas producing COUNTRY?
          The USA (at 4 times the price).

Not really a long term solution. A great solution for USA though.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            Didn't you really mean to say other gas producing COUNTRY?
            The USA (at 4 times the price).

Not really a long term solution. A great solution for USA though.
            Did you even bother reading the link?

Here's another one: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...oils_to_the_EU

In the 2nd quarter of 2022, the EU only imported 17.4% of its gas from the US. 82.6% came from other countries, including Russia.

Where did you find the price of US gas? Drago's blog site?
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Did you even bother reading the link?
              Yeah, this was what your link said:

The EU's gas supply
              In 2021, the EU imported 83% of its natural gas.

Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, gas imports from Russia to the EU have been significantly reduced. This has mainly been compensated for by a sharp increase in imports of liquified natural gas (LNG), particularly from the US.
              Which I knew.
              Did you read your link?

I'll let you find out the prices at your leisure. Given your propensity to look on the bright side of things (only if USA is involved), I'm gonna assume you think the USA is undercutting the Russians.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Vangelovski
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                Yeah, this was what your link said:

Which I knew.
                Did you read your link?

I'll let you find out the prices at your leisure. Given your propensity to look on the bright side of things (only if USA is involved), I'm gonna assume you think the USA is undercutting the Russians.
                Particularly does not mean only. Look at the figures. Then look at them again.

Comment

• Karposh
                  • Aug 2015

In the 2nd quarter of 2022, the EU only imported 17.4% of its gas from the US. 82.6% came from other countries, including Russia.
                  Not sure what the total amount of natural gas the US exports to the EU is but, according to the Forbes article I have quoted below, it is a "big" supplier of natural gas to Europe. 17.4% in the second quarter of 2022 may well be accurate as are the 82.6% that make up the rest of the suppliers. You really want to stress the point that the Europeans are just fine, have plenty of gas reserves and are not going to freeze. You have also suggested that the majority of Europeans have as their greater good goal to "defeat Russia". Not so sure about the last one to be honest. When a people's hip pocket is being affected, we'll just have to wait & see how long those noble goals will last.

I think most Europeans understand the importance of defeating Russia...Point is, they're not freezing this winter.
                  The point I was trying to make with my previous post was that they are paying through the nose for energy while their respective governments are throwing billions of dollars of their tax money to fund a proxy war. They can't go on doing that indefinitely while the populations of these countries struggle to pay for their energy bills. I'm pretty sure no one is freezing THIS winter too. If they want to stay warm, they're going to have to pay, whether they like it or not.

With regard to the cost of US natural gas to the Europeans, I too have heard that number mentioned that Risto quoted. I heard it quoted in a discussion about a month or two ago but the exact YouTube video escapes me for the time being. The cost they quoted was 4 x the price that US citizens normally pay for the same gas back in America. That number stuck out for me. Obviously, it would be in the US' interests not to come across as an opportunistic scumbag by overcharging the Europeans for their gas so, clearly, the Forbes article is trying to smooth things over by providing excuses for the exorbitant prices for US natural gas. Nevertheless, regardless of how much gas the US supplies to Europe or how well stocked they are (as the Forbes article seems to concur with you), the point is, buying US natural gas in Europe is expensive. As a matter of fact buying any gas post Nord Stream is expensive.

Who’s Charging Europe High Prices For Natural Gas? Look To The Middle Man

Neither the U.S. government nor its drillers are responsible for the high prices Europe is paying to import American natural gas, an industry expert said this week.

Anna Mikulska, who studies the geopolitics of natural gas, said the price derives from the seller’s response to the market.

“U.S. is a big supplier of European natural gas, but it’s not the U.S. producers,” said Mikulska, a fellow with the Baker Institute’s Center for Energy Studies. “It’s the companies that buy the gas from U.S. producers, and it usually goes where the price is highest.”

German Economy Minister Robert Habek accused the U.S. and other nations Tuesday of charging excessive prices for natural gas. The largest exporter of U.S. Liquified Natural Gas, Houston-based Cheniere Energy Partners, did not reply to a request for comment.

Europe seems to be meeting its goal of storing sufficient supplies of natural gas for the coming winter, Mikulska said, an outlook shared by Goldman Sachs and the International Energy Agency.

“Currently the storage is at a very high level, sometimes 100 percent, most of the time beyond 80 percent,” Mikulska said Wednesday during the Baker Institute’s winter market update. “Europe really wanted this time around to have their storage full. They kind of learned a lesson last winter that it’s not a good thing (to have it less than full) especially if the supply is not given or is uncertain.”
                  Neither the U.S. government nor its drillers are responsible for the high prices Europe is paying to import American natural gas, an analyst said this week.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                    Not sure what the total amount of natural gas the US exports to the EU is but, according to the Forbes article I have quoted below, it is a "big" supplier of natural gas to Europe. 17.4% in the second quarter of 2022 may well be accurate as are the 82.6% that make up the rest of the suppliers. You really want to stress the point that the Europeans are just fine, have plenty of gas reserves and are not going to freeze.
                    The figures I gave are from the official EU statistical office. I'm pretty sure they know how much gas they import and from where. They're storage is full, energy is not going to impact on Europe.

You have also suggested that the majority of Europeans have as their greater good goal to "defeat Russia". Not so sure about the last one to be honest. When a people's hip pocket is being affected, we'll just have to wait & see how long those noble goals will last.
                    I didn't say anything about noble goals. You read that into me saying most Europeans understand the importance of defeating Russia. That has nothing to do with noble goals (though it might for some). What I was alluding to is that I think most Europeans understand that it's in their long-term national self-interest to defeat Russia in Ukraine.

The point I was trying to make with my previous post was that they are paying through the nose for energy while their respective governments are throwing billions of dollars of their tax money to fund a proxy war. They can't go on doing that indefinitely while the populations of these countries struggle to pay for their energy bills. I'm pretty sure no one is freezing THIS winter too. If they want to stay warm, they're going to have to pay, whether they like it or not.
                    The price of gas varies wildly from one European country to the next. That has more to do with local taxes and where/how they import their gas. For example, see a sample of countries here: https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/natural_gas_prices/

Australia, Brazil, the US, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Chile, and Mexico for example are all in the price range of what European countries pay. Some more, some less. We're all doing just fine.

I heard it quoted in a discussion about a month or two ago but the exact YouTube video escapes me for the time being.
                    You should go directly to the source of information. Youtube is not doing you any favours. Again - see link above.

The cost they quoted was 4 x the price that US citizens normally pay for the same gas back in America. That number stuck out for me. Obviously, it would be in the US' interests not to come across as an opportunistic scumbag by overcharging the Europeans for their gas so, clearly, the Forbes article is trying to smooth things over by providing excuses for the exorbitant prices for US natural gas.
                    If the US is only supplying around 18% of total gas supplies, then they can't have that much of an influence on the price. That doesn't make any sense. Plus - see comment above about how wildly different gas prices are across Europe.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                      • Sep 2008

There's definitely something going on at the Kinburn Spit.

Ukraine is stealthily pushing on with the recapture of a key target - using the winter weather to its advantage - in a bid to reassert its naval capacity in the south.

Comment

• Phoenix
                        • Dec 2008

There's definitely something going on at the Kinburn Spit.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...Vladimir-putin
                        Sounds like Snake Island v2.0…a complete nonsense.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                          Sounds like Snake Island v2.0…a complete nonsense.
                          How do you mean?

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

How do you mean?
                            The early Ukrainian (+Western +MSM) narrative around Snake Island was the myth that the Ukrainians were standing their ground against the might of the Russian invaders.
                            The small Ukrainian garrison on Snake Island was defiantly 'sticking it up' to the Russian Navy..the nonsense of this included the story that the Ukrainians were killed by the Russians, when the truth was the Russians captured the Ukrainians as POW without much of a fight and they were later released alive and well.

Snake Island was portrayed in a similar fashion to how they're running with the Kinburn Spit story at the moment.

Neither Snake Island nor Kinburn Spit are of any significant strategic value, their small land masses make it almost impossible to defend and to resupply.

Trying to connect the holding of either place for the protection of grain shipment routes and the wider control of the Black Sea (as they did with Snake Island) is a total nonsense.

For the Ukrainians to suddenly go 'silent' on any activity regarding such missions flies in the face of the way they have conducted themselves from the beginning and to this stage of the conflict, they've essentially bullshitted about most things, from the 'Ghost of Kiev' to the Russians firing missiles at Poland.

All of this nonsense serves only a singular purpose...good PR.

The narrative is built around a good underdog story, using the ubiquitous Hollywood B Grade war movie of frogmen slipping out of the dark murky depths, in total silence, to conquer the enemy and save the day.

It also serves the misguided notion that Ukraines Western patrons are getting value for the stream of money that is being poured into this bottomless pit of corruption and delusion.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                              Neither Snake Island nor Kinburn Spit are of any significant strategic value, their small land masses make it almost impossible to defend and to resupply.
                              I don't know much about the strategic value of Snake Island, but a cursory reading shows that it has been fought over for centuries, including WWI and WWII. If it's that insignificant, why did the Russians take it in the first place? No matter.

The Kinburn Spit is literally the East bank of the mouth of the Dnipro Gulf where the Dnipro River exits into the Black Sea. I think its strategic value lies in the fact that it provides direct land access to the southern part of the Kherson Oblast still under Russian control. It would give the Ukrainians a foothold from which to launch a counterattack from the East bank and draw Russian forces from further upstream causing weaknesses along the Dnipro where Ukrainians could launch further river crossings.

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

I don't know much about the strategic value of Snake Island, but a cursory reading shows that it has been fought over for centuries, including WWI and WWII. If it's that insignificant, why did the Russians take it in the first place? No matter.

The Kinburn Spit is literally the East bank of the mouth of the Dnipro Gulf where the Dnipro River exits into the Black Sea. I think its strategic value lies in the fact that it provides direct land access to the southern part of the Kherson Oblast still under Russian control. It would give the Ukrainians a foothold from which to launch a counterattack from the East bank and draw Russian forces from further upstream causing weaknesses along the Dnipro where Ukrainians could launch further river crossings.
                                This is like the disclaimer that comes with every financial investment product - 'Past performance is no guarantee of future growth' or words to that effect.

I think the argument is rooted in anachronism, what may have been strategically important in previous low-tech wars (100 years ago) would probably not apply on the battlefield of the 21st century.

The use of real-time data, satellite imagery, sensors of every description, precision guided munitions and the ability to move men and equipment very quickly, now makes previous strategies redundant.

The Russians took Snake Island very early in the conflict, it was probably part of their initial strategy to move on as much territory as possible in the shortest amount of time to create diplomatic pressure and force Zelensky to the negotiating table as quickly as possible.

As we know Plan A failed and instead of negotiating a settlement the Ukrainians fought back including various attempts to retake Snake Island, the Russians realised that Snake Island was an easy target from Ukrainian missiles fired from Odessa and from drone attack.

The restricted size of Snake Island meant that Russian forces could not fortify their positions from constant fire from Odessa.
                                Keeping Snake Island was a simple risk assessment of risk Vs reward.

Far too much risk to men and equipment for little to no reward for keeping such a small parcel of land that was too difficult to fortify and to resupply with defensive equipment when those resources could be used more effectively elsewhere...Kiburn Spit will be the same burden for both sides.

I've noticed you've provided links to reports from the 'Institute for the Study of War' several times in this thread...Interestingly, Larry C. Johnson from Sonar21 calls the 'Institute for the Study of War' - the clown show!

Last edited by Phoenix; 11-23-2022, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X