X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Paisius of Hilendar - Паисии Хилендарски

Paisius of Hilendar was an 18th century monk from the Macedonian town of Bansko, which as a result of wars in the early 20th century now belongs to the modern Bulgarian state. His fame as the author of the 'Slavonic-bulgarian History' and his promotion of the 'Bulgarian' identity for the purpose of maintaining Slavonic origins in the face of Greek agression has prompted modern Bulgarians to claim Paisius of Hilendar as the father of the modern Bulgarian nation.

Saint Paisius of Hilendar or Paisiy Hilendarski (Bulgarian: Свети Паисий Хилендарски) (1722–1773) was a Bulgarian clergyman and a key Bulgarian National Revival figure. He is most famous for being the author of Istoriya Slavyanobolgarskaya, the first work of Bulgarian historiography. Most Bulgarians think of him as the forefather of the Bulgarian National Revival.[1]

Paisius was born in the Samokov eparchy of the time, probably in the town of Bansko, Macedonia.[2] He established himself in the Hilandar monastery on Mount Athos in 1745, where he was later a hieromonk and deputy-abbot. Collecting materials for two years through hard work and even visiting the lands of the Germans, he finished his Istoriya Slavyanobolgarskaya in 1762 in the Zograf Monastery. The book was the first attempt to write a complete history of Bulgaria and attempted to awake and strengthen Bulgarian national consciousnesses.[3]

The most famous part of the whole book is the very first sentence:

"Why are you ashamed to call yourself Bulgarian?"

This more or less signifies the purpose of the author who speaks about the danger of Bulgarians falling victim to the hellenization policies of the mainly Greek clergy. The book's first manual copy was done by Sophronius of Vratsa in 1765. Structurally, Istoriya Slavyanobolgarskaya consists of two introductions, several chapters that discuss various historic events, a chapter about the "Slavic teachers", the disciples of Cyril and Methodius, a chapter about the Bulgarian saints, and an epilogue. As Paisius toured Bulgaria as a mendicant friar, he brought his work, which was copied and spread among the Bulgarians. He is thought to have died on the way to Mount Athos near Ampelino (modern-day Loznitsa).
    Here is a text from the Bulgarians' beloved Paisius of Hilendar:

Тук е потребно да се съберат заедно имената на българските крале и царе, колкото се намират, и кой след кого е царувал

1. Пръв крал бил Вукич. 2. Крал Драгич. Вукич и Драгич били двама родни брата. 3. Крал Борис. 4. Крал Братоя Силни. 5. Крал Свети Тривелия. 6.Крал Тербал, син на Тривелия. 7. Крал Мойсей, син на Тривелия. Имената на седемте крале се намират записани в началото.
    As can be seen, he claims that the first kings of Bulgaria were called Vukich and Dragich, a far cry from Volkov and Dragov. It should be stressed that the works of Paisius of Hilendar contain several historical inaccuracies and inconsistencies which remain largely the creation of the author.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • osiris
    • Sep 2008

As can be seen, he claims that the first kings of Bulgaria were called Vukich and Dragich, a far cry from Volkov and Dragov. It should be stressed that the works of Paisius of Hilendar contain several historical inaccuracies and inconsistencies which remain largely the creation of the author.
    several you are being too kind som.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

There are alot more, when I have time I will post them, if not for any other reason than to expose the 'great knowledge' of the modern Bulgarian nation's father and his 'concept' of history.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• makedonin
        • Sep 2008

The Guy would have been called Pseudo Historian by his own Admirers (BG) if he would lived among us today.

His agenda of the time was clear, to create some Ideology for the "population" so they can hang on it and resist the Hellenization.

His famous question:

"Why are you ashamed to call your self Bulgarian?"

If Bulgarians answear his question,than they won't be so proud of their chosen name either but rather craw under the bad ashamed of it.

Bulgar > Vulgar from Latin Vulgus i.e. Peasant or in Greek Hondrokefalos Vulgaros

PS.

I don't see the Asparuh and Krum in his list of Bulgarian Kings

What happened to them
        To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I am all for self-identification.
          But some of these assumptions made by these authors get on my nerves and serve no purpose other than to help romanticize the birth of a nation.

Great observation SoM.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Georgi Pulevski is also inaccurate for a few (not several like Paisius) historical events, I doubt any histiography could be entirely accurate those days, but the sheer extent of it in the work of Paisius cannot go unnoticed.

I haven't read the whole thing, there is information all over the place, so I am not sure if Asparuk is mentioned in the book, but he is hardly needed for Paisius considered the first Tsar of Bulgaria to be somebody called Asen the Great who ruled from Ohrid from where the Bulgarian capital was later moved east!!!!

He also compiles a wonderfully fabricated list of 33 Bulgarian Tsars. Go ahead and amuse yourselves with what the Bulgarian's have been holding so close to their hearts for so long

Comment

• NiGhtPiSH
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

Indeed the Istoriya Slavyanobulgarskaya is more of a literary work than historic. It had one main goal, to COUNTER the Greek influences in Thrace and the geographical region of Macedonia.

Comment

• Daskalot
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by NiGhtPiSH View Post
                Indeed the Istoriya Slavyanobulgarskaya is more of a literary work than historic. It had one main goal, to COUNTER the Greek influences in Thrace and the geographical region of Macedonia.
                correct, the Rum Orthodox Church was a great Hellenizing force.
                Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• NiGhtPiSH
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008

That's correct the Carigrad Patriarchate was helenizing the Bulgarians in Trace and the people living in the geographical region of Macedonia. Simultaneusley there were also muslimisation campaigns from which we see the results today Pomaci, Gorani and Gagauzi (Bulgarian speaking greeks having the Islam as their religion)

Comment

• Daskalot
                    • Sep 2008

That's correct the Carigrad Patriarchate was helenizing the Bulgarians in Trace and the people living in the geographical region of Macedonia. Simultaneusley there were also muslimisation campaigns from which we see the results today Pomaci, Gorani and Gagauzi (Bulgarian speaking greeks having the Islam as their religion)
                    Nightpish, you go to great lengths to name our fellow Slavic speaking Muslims by their ethnic designator, then you will also name us the Macedonians, sichko v'red B'lgarche?

This will be your first(1) warning, next will be a Ban, this will be your own choice.

By the way, all the rest is a correct observation of the issue.
                    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Sarafot
                      • Dec 2008

Exposed,I know it,somebody who use Gagauzi is nothing but Bajgo.
                      Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                      - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Lets give the Bugarin a chance and see if he is capable of a normalen odnos.

Comment

• Sarafot
                          • Dec 2008

Shure ,i wellcome him,as a person,no mater what he is.
                          Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                          - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bugarino
                            That's correct the Carigrad Patriarchate was helenizing the Bulgarians in Trace and the people living in the geographical region of Macedonia.
                            And all this time I thought that the Patriarchate of Constantinople was 'Hellenizing' the Macedonians in Macedonia and the people living in the geographical region of Thrace, for surely, these people in Thrace don't deserve a name, do they.........

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                              • Jan 2009

Not quite BulgarFish. Remember this topic for your future reference BulgarFish (I am sure you and your type are reading this) - http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...read.php?t=835

Because that topic relates to what I'm about to show you;

Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X